Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

9 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

Great layout and it has been good to see your updates as you progress, making a comeback to modelling. I'm starting a similar journey.  Initially I was going to go OO and the usual small depot scene due to space restrictions, but N gauge eventually won over once I saw how much the RTR stock has come on since I last had N in around 1990.

Can I ask where you get your bufferbeam pipes and detailing bits from?  I know plenty sources for 4mm but not 2mm.  Thanks. 

Hi Andrew, 

Sound like we had similar thoughts. The 2.4meters x 0.5 meters that is the section of the layout with the trees in the countryside would not have fitted much into if it was oo gauge. I am not at all against oo, but the space gave me no other choice than n gauge for what I wanted to achieve. 

Most of the new locos come with detailing kits including all that's needed for the buffer beam. I have only detailed one end of each loco and because some of the locos like the old class 90s didn't come with anything I have had to use the 'other end' of the class 86 detailing kits.

If you have some older locos and can't use the left overs from a newer loco then dapols detailing kits are an option (including snowplough). I have sent the link below from hattons, but there are not the only people who stock this kit. hopefully it helps. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/36676/dapol_ndetail1_snowplough_air_pipe_detailing_parts_for_diesel_locomotives/stockdetail.aspx

Will you post your progress anywhere? 

All the best

Dave 

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:51, MM1991 said:

This is one of my favourite layouts on RMWeb, the other being Warrington Dallam.  Both capture the WCML look perfectly.  Im a 4mm modeller and wish I could see N gauge models properly to make proper use of them! 

Thanks for the kind comment and I am flattered and humbled to hear the layout be anywhere near the same league as the outstanding Dallam, which is also one of my favourite layouts. It has given me a lot of motivation and inspiration.

All the best,

Dave 

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 1

I made a start on some containers for the KFA rake. 

The 20footers

DSC_0002.JPG.8ab0ae1ed093388a07d95feb85f6686e.JPG

A couple of 40 footers

DSC_0007.JPG.9bd275fe1b0660487ca1adf5562e7076.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG.cd9a568ff0e093835f0e9c82cf83fa40.JPG

and some 45footers. I am not sure some of the liveries here even existed in the late 90s to be honest. If I end up needing them all I may well give the liveries I am unsure about a respray if I still cannot find evidence of them being run before 2000. Most of the photos from the era seem to be understandably with the loco as the main focus. I have had more luck with old videos on YouTube so it's given me a reason to watch a few whilst weathering :).

DSC_0005.JPG.79111c7ea5e68857a5d427c13a03560e.JPG

The next batch that needs a weather are 30 footers and then at some point I need to pluck up the courage to weather the KFAs.

All the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes - very lifelike, several friends at work noted the care taken with the OLE really makes the scene and the rolling stock fits with carefully created scenery. All took a few moments to register it was a model it is so convincing.  More power to your elbow once the gloss has dried in the living room !

I look forward to revisiting during 2020   as I suspect do many others on here!

Thanks and have fun in 2020

Robert 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the very kind messages. I am a bit humbled by the comments, I still feel very much a beginner and have lots to learn. But the comments are very motivating and very kind. 

I am afraid 2020 has started with a bang and I have been flat out with both the house and work since the 1st January. I am hoping things will get back to a more normal pace next week and I can finally have a go at getting the KFAs weathered. My parents also got me a class 47 for Xmas which I think I will try to turn into a triple grey Freightliner liveried unit because I remember them running like this and have a few photos of one at Tring in 1998. 

Thanks again for the kind comments and all the best

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2020 at 08:50, DavidMcKenzie said:

On 01/01/2020 at 08:50, DavidMcKenzie said:

DSC_0015.JPG.38326c7a82d74de81018d8916053ba81.JPG

Love this shot. You've captured this sort of section of the wcml perfectly

lockquote widget

and to go with the FKAs I think I have finished the class 86. I have added a few extra very very light stages of weathering that are hardly noticeable, but I have tried my best to show them with a close up photo. I don't think the last few steps have changed the loco much, but to stealing a line from Duncan it now looks 'heavier'.DSC_0019_-_Kopie.JPG.1b56e5ec51ef5879b0a55487e4606d0f.JPG

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Dave,

I hope you had a great Christmas, just catching up on your thread, those shots you have done just shows WCML N gauge modelling to its best. Those pictures look the mutts nuts :D, very very realistic and certainly got the WCML look and feel. 

Need to get a crack on with weathering my KFAs and Pocket Wagons, need some containers but the cheap Farish and Dapol 20 and 40ft packs are now hard to find.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

On 20/01/2020 at 22:59, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Dave,

I hope you had a great Christmas, just catching up on your thread, those shots you have done just shows WCML N gauge modelling to its best. Those pictures look the mutts nuts :D, very very realistic and certainly got the WCML look and feel. 

Need to get a crack on with weathering my KFAs and Pocket Wagons, need some containers but the cheap Farish and Dapol 20 and 40ft packs are now hard to find.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the kind comments Simon, all been very much inspired by your cracking Dallam layout a bit further north up the same tracks.

I got lucky with the wagons and had a few left over at the back of the workbench from a previous project. I filled the rest of the rake with c-rail self build kits which seemed like the cheapest and most enjoyable way to fill the rake. 

All the best,

Dave

Modeling time has been hard to come by so far this year, but I managed to get a few hours to get started on the Freightliner class 47. Going to have a crack at it in this state.

The first step was removing the transfers. 

1674465534_IMG_20200120_2140182.jpg.8adce7268952759e8df8d10da66a6373.jpg

Then a respray to cover up any markings left over and get a better colour match to the photo above.

1769963662_IMG_20200122_1936582.jpg.890e8bcb6eaf738f66df7f708c5766a3.jpg

Then transfers

1212561773_IMG_20200123_2153392.jpg.bee219f45546e2983d8cfe231cc32043.jpg

And then a first step of weathering

572707904_IMG_20200125_1050502.jpg.82e988618a917f31351e3e5871bfce4e.jpg

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll find time to get it finished. 

All the best

Dave

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

23 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Excellent work Dave. Impressive.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan, I am sure there are plenty of people capable of doing a better job (yourself included) but I always set out trying to make the model more realistic than my last attempt and looking at the class 47s I've had a go at so far I can see a steady improvement between them. 

All the best,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Nice work.  What method do use to remove the decals?  I've previously used a fibre glass pen but found it a little harsh (although that might be down to my capabilities and not the pen!)

Hi Stuey,

I have done it with a combination of a sharp modelling knife run across the surface and paint thinner rubbed on with a cotton bud. It's still not perfect and leaves little scratch marks, but I found it left less marking than a fiber glass pen. I still found it worth spraying a light coat over once the decals were removed. 

There maybe be someone out there with experiences of something that works better. But I found it the best compromise. I found the tcut method left a very shinny patch, fibreglass pen did the opposite and left a really roughed up surfaces and those are the only three methods I've tried so far. 

I hope that helps. All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stuey said:

Nice work.  What method do use to remove the decals?  I've previously used a fibre glass pen but found it a little harsh (although that might be down to my capabilities and not the pen!)

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Stuey,

I have done it with a combination of a sharp modelling knife run across the surface and paint thinner rubbed on with a cotton bud. It's still not perfect and leaves little scratch marks, but I found it left less marking than a fiber glass pen. I still found it worth spraying a light coat over once the decals were removed. 

There maybe be someone out there with experiences of something that works better. But I found it the best compromise. I found the tcut method left a very shinny patch, fibreglass pen did the opposite and left a really roughed up surfaces and those are the only three methods I've tried so far. 

I hope that helps. All the best,

Dave

I would favour using 1200 grade wet and dry paper.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1