Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

Hi Dave,

Fantastic project! Not sure how I missed this one but consider it followed from now on. Looking forward to seeing it develop and love the class 90’s by the way! Any other AC electrics joining the fleet?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Great that your looking in Jeremy. following your euston project is one of the many great wcml layouts on the go at the moment. It's been a great motivator to see it taking shape and given me the kick to pull my finger out and get stuck in on maids morton.

There will be plenty of AC electrics. They are a bit of a love of mine. I have been collecting away slowly for a while now. Most still need a lot of work to not look like they are fresh out the box though. The only three that have had any additional modelling work are the three class 90s in the pics above.

So far the line up of ac electrics is:

Class 90s:

Intercity

RFD

RES

EWS

Virgin

90128 frieghtconnection beligium (respray under way)

90129 frieghtconnection DB (respray under way)

Class 87:

Intercity x2 (one needs re-name and re-number, still not chosen which it will be)

Virgin

87101 RFD (respray underway)

Class 86:

RFD double header

RES

EWS

VIRGIN

The big hole in the line up at the moment is an Intercity 86. I know Dapol are bringing one soon with an intercity executive livery but I think this is a bit early for my period so I think I will be doing a respray at some point because 150pounds on ebay for a second hand loco is not for me. I would rather buy a new one and have some fun with the spray gun.

Other than that there is a selection of 31s,37s and 47s on the loco front. other than the usual railfrienght nd post liverys, the engineering trains were often unusual and interesting in the period I am modelling.

As I get further into it I will post the weathering progress, there is plenty to do.

• Like 1

Hi dave,

What a cracking layout you have in the making. Being a WCML modeler of this time frame. I will be happily following the progress of this thread.

Keep up the good work fella

Phil

Great that you're looking in Phil. Milton Grove is looking good and I am modelling bang in the middle of your time frame so hopefully we will be able to exhange a few ideas and pictures along the way.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Progress over the last few weeks has been slow, a combination of a holiday to get some winter sun and the wife deciding we are converting the loft has meant modelling time has been at a premium, but I managed to steal a few hours last night. 

The fiddle yard got a 'roof'. Hopefully this will keep the stock as clean as possible. The fiddle yard itself is currently just a few lines to allow trains to do a loop. Nothing is nailed down and I have a package with a lot with more points on the way. It should be possible to have 18 lines in the fiddle yard, which when I started out seemed like more than enough, but I am already starting to get enough stock to fill them and they aren't even built yet. 

Doing this to keep the trains clean also got me to thinking about how to keep the rest of the layout clean. Does anyone have any neat tricks for this? Something similar to this cover the complete layout will be complex, time consuming, expensive and anyway I like the idea that the layout is always 'on show' in the corner of the modelling room. I feel like there should be an easier way, but I can't think of anything, so any suggestions would be appreciated :scratchhead:.   

with the roof closed:

post-31334-0-36100200-1514010275_thumb.jpg

and with it open to access the fiddle yard:

post-31334-0-08012100-1514010309_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The next step over xmas will be to try a few resprays. No promise on how these will turn out. I have never attempted anything like this before, so there could be a few moments like this over xmas  :help: . I think I will try to weather them a bit, partly because completely clean trains look out of place in my opinion, and partly because it will hopefully help draw the eye away from any errors. 

post-31334-0-06066100-1514012072_thumb.jpg

The two class 90s will become:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66162475@N06/8044254724/in/photolist-dfQUEY-bgXZv6-tjTPFW-o8fG6W-9re6Dg-h84EVo-atqQDF-ofPVST-mwHQ7c-fPN7Gc-aBLZVJ-7ovYch-huGNJm-dqD1XW-fDqNtK-VC5kCb-bgY12H-mwHYbP-jrKe13-mwHTWr-8ZTNuM-oxiT9H-bVvcVM-mwHjmc-gF7Y7i-e2yKpe-U9dt65-9jxwPF-tNHURv-9ocLpG-ZmhbdY-21vfJ4K-fQomBw-qCD8jn-92yyi9-8Qbh24-HEcaLq-axuN6N-hhskDi-XkGXP2-GxJ426-KLrX18-wSb4fx-hhsmc2-qUvXKN-ok5p7r-Z81dwr-PX2tgt-xHY1K1-mokaaZ

and 90129

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/4019219170/in/photolist-78axQf-mwHYbP-drsrtG-9ocLw7-9xqqR4-njjvu8-mwHQFt-dbygLn-fDqNtK-GCdXea-WbMFoi-kJ5De1-ghWRdk-5Ewiy2-jrKe13-mwHTWr-9re4Rc-kwmiK1-mRSxBg-drsqtU-ZsobqQ-ZsoaWd-wN5JgQ-HrzhVR-ecxv2s-GCdWFB-Zsobeh-drse4X-bggTL2-auRSRd-212FpgJ-pCm9Lg-ctLHC9-eWnFSB-HGAJgD-WbMG6k-UyWL3C-Z3LWAo-G8NsAa-ZAucZw-z8PhUW-Hond7J-BCc1A3-FNPg6c-Hrzhs6-GxJ426-BwqqQK-w9vvoU-QpsyTh-zRS1ee 

The class 87 will become 87101 in RFD  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/5277868136/in/photolist-93osju-nrAQDG-pb8wDn-dvNbnM-9FFoLC-cRKa7j-hFw35p-fQ8jmA-pJbT41-bjPaTa-4RUi1D-XG3jxa-qJq94L-nDseom-fQ5bAw-e1Pnd5-ozF3nu-dEqEBz-itDD4R-qCoFat-fa55yg-pL1BmY-aBK3LE-d3ejMb-9b5txG-dESC1Q-nm8BSA-gtJAMf-8d4BBW-pTUoJv-by4Qqt-arEzvA-e4YvL1-eVtAav-b24iPF-f9jW2j-fPMwcc-XwRxuG-6SbxWf-nxsrnx-dEgAqn-akeSqA-rmZMYS-ejbm1D-eVk9Jc-oMx7nu-8Azd8R-oEvQMQ-iw6erP-oEt9s1

and finally the class 47 will become 47540 in engineers livery

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33106/8239621382/in/photolist-dy7dnC-bhhxwr-6qQadS-a57aBA-bm8uD4-Wv2a3m-p9KNVD-mwaUE5-hJEfHs-d7chtQ-QtkJqt-9viVxH-9Ugh2c-d7DSDC-nwxJrs-e7TCf1-9sEq33-5JbFPP-d7DZg5-eGW3hA-9Ugiq6-8A6SSS-9Uj6RS-ZgUAaE-4TxwfL-4Txk45-dyEhwG-famvEL-hsHoLm-d7DTx5-HEoiPJ-qhf1DE-d7DXid-so5otL-d3Q7pC-rSjiiM-d7DYco-e9ZHjZ-pJA1Pv-9CiTta-6P5eRH-6ofpWA-acrGF1-eDW4za-ddYVRN-nP9Qet-6ofp6U-hqcG1S-4Tt546-YrEHMo

• Like 4

Looking good fella. Love what you have done to the 47. Something that I plan to do with mine. I have some tasty decals that give the impression that the depot and name plates have been removed

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing your ac loco's progress

Phil

• Like 1

Looking good fella. Love what you have done to the 47. Something that I plan to do with mine. I have some tasty decals that give the impression that the depot and name plates have been removed

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing your ac loco's progress

Phil

Hey Phil,

Yeah I enjoyed doing the grubby 47, I found it easier to do the heavy weathering on the 47 than the light weathering on the 90s.

Decals with the name plates removed sound good, where did you get them from?

My imagination got going a bit after the grummpy diesel looked so good in the yard. I don't think it will be the last one. I even thought something like this might be an interesting thing for adding to the hardstanding in the yard now and again (probably not glued down).

https://www.google.de/search?q=class+47+47540+dutch&client=ms-android-huawei&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CRIpfpWlsH-hIkDSkJuxr0BhKr_14zXvhMf8bhPasVgjMsA4idqGVOGtILqlbh4D_11TzypH2vPfLRoh9dk6xPCoh0nY5d6wmCkajFKhIJ0pCbsa9AYSoRMYHtXnMHuH0qEgm_1-M174TH_1GxFCEjf1lK23ZioSCYT2rFYIzLAOEUhnEwyIGtZ5KhIJInahlThrSC4RlhXZam5fpNMqEgmpW4eA_19U88hHQFQoGvA4GlioSCaR9rz3y0aIfEZYV2WpuX6TTKhIJXZOsTwqIdJ0RczbUzKTh6FcqEgmOXesJgpGoxRHc-DfaESLvmA%3D%3D&tbo=u&ved=0ahUKEwjXmui-uqfYAhUOzaQKHUyOBmcQuIIBCCI#imgrc=9cDv4fvquQBZyM:

Regards

Dave

Hi David

The decals are produced by Railtech transfers.

I plan to do a 47 like yours. And a run down dutch 31.

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2185

Hope that this helps

Phil

Those transfers look great Phil, I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with them.

A 31 sounds good too. I have been looking at this picture for a while and thinking it would be a good one to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/17149890879/in/photolist-bQPDWM-hbGwUF-pJPbGu-dn2yLY-ciTns9-cMAWKA-ee4DX6-cRQNjh-cvRR7J-cHgU4W-e5XioX-dh8QGz-eeappb-qNFq8t-pFSSyL-gndMFA-s8tF4M-jZsWrx-rZE8Fk-pcrqEC-oq1f5d-nxoqau-UZdKVM-nvjodL-p2wP5V-oQsZat-9fKErB-cLEPhS-CwrB6a-cRHhgf-9No473-22Gky7X-diQC9U-p2wNGa-mQJPr4-ee4DY2-p8nMuA-XNxVQm-fkJd2o-rZDXpZ-d9XFYZ-aAakJV-8NFAtc-8BUPwq-kzUqLp-dQsnoE-onJZEt-opuWqr-dN88oz-dtZpqz

Regards

Dave

So, mixed luck with some resprays over the holiday period.

Firstly the one that's looking ok so far is 90129. I still need the name plates, builders plates, loco data panels and the crewe depot markings. All of which will be ordered as transfers in the new year. After the last transfers go on I might have a go at the hand rails by the doors in thin wire (probably 0.4mm, but I am not 100% confident yet). Then weathering and it will be finished.

The photos below were taken as the model progressed.

post-31334-0-66296100-1514729431_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-07243900-1514729797_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-78442200-1514729852_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-22192600-1514729878_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

90128 has not gone so well. I don't know what I have done wrong (and any opinions or help would be great), but the transfers for the yellow stripes have come out terribly. The colour is very dull with a bit of the blue shade showing through and the yellow colour is not consistant and almost bobbly.

I am sure it is my error rather than anything wrong with the transfers because I have seen other people have made them work.

I gave the model a few coats of gloss varnish before adding the transfers and I used warm water with a little washing up liquid on the transfers.

The picture below hopefully shows the problem.

post-31334-0-34457500-1514730185_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

90128 has not gone so well. I don't know what I have done wrong (and any opinions or help would be great), but the transfers for the yellow stripes have come out terribly. The colour is very dull with a bit of the blue shade showing through and the yellow colour is not consistant and almost bobbly.

I am sure it is my error rather than anything wrong with the transfers because I have seen other people have made them work.

I gave the model a few coats of gloss varnish before adding the transfers and I used warm water with a little washing up liquid on the transfers.

The picture below hopefully shows the problem.

Hi,

The only thing I could suggest is to remove the transfer stripes and mask off each stripe individually and spray. Bit long winded but would give you the result you are after.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks that's a great idea and I am sitting here wondering why I didn't think of it :) . It will also save the problem of exactly matching the warning yellow to the transfer. I have just taken a look and even the big yellow number has come out well. It will take a while I guess, but I have no deadlines, so no problem.

I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for the idea.

Regards

Dave

There was a bit more progress over the week. The OHLE got a coat of grey. The colours a pretty poor match, it's too dark, so I will give them all a lighter coat.

post-31334-0-85852900-1515172922_thumb.jpg

For the 90s I was thinking about doing the hand rails in wire. But after a test on a dummy body shell I have changed my mind and will leave them how they are. On the prototype the handrails are flush and in the end I just couldn't replicate something nice enough to risk attacking a few models that I really like.

Before

post-31334-0-51803400-1515173290_thumb.jpg

After fitting a wire handrail

post-31334-0-58583500-1515173327_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 1

My new year's resolution was to not only do class 90s :). You may have guessed by now that I have a soft spot for them. But one of the things that started my interest in the WCML was the variety of locos (and liveries).

With that in mind 3 sets of revelution trains class 321 4car units have been put on order as well as a class 92.

I have also got a little further with 87101.

post-31334-0-17078400-1515173705_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Finally a call for a little help. I was just roughing out a few bits like relay boxes and AWS ramps and that kind of thing and I realized I have no idea what happens to the cable trunking when it goes into a tunnel and I struggled to find any useful pictures.

Does anyone have any tips for how the prototypes usually are?

Nothing in the picture below is glued, but hopefully it gives an idea.

post-31334-0-50798600-1515173839_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Much the same as bridges (which may be easier to find photos): if there is room between the Sleeper ends and the abutment/tunnel wall the cable troughing will continue through hard up against the brickwork, if not, then the cables will go on hangars attached to the wall face.

Paul.

The class 90 looks spot on fella.

This is my detail version.

Wish I went down the hand rail route now.

post-6906-0-51896700-1515195546.jpg

What colour primer did you use for your base coat in the mast?

Edited by porkie
  • Like 3

Much the same as bridges (which may be easier to find photos): if there is room between the Sleeper ends and the abutment/tunnel wall the cable troughing will continue through hard up against the brickwork, if not, then the cables will go on hangars attached to the wall face.

Paul.

Great tip Paul thanks. It's much easier to see how it all works in reality at bridges.

Regards

Dave

The class 90 looks spot on fella.

This is my detail version.

Wish I went down the hand rail route now.

attachicon.gif_20180105_233718.JPG

What colour primer did you use for your base coat in the mast?

Your handrails look good Phil, you've done a nicer job than I could manage. They look dead straight. I messed around for a while, but I couldn't get the last little tiny kinks in the wire out. Did you do something special? Also what gauge wire did you use? They don't look so proud as my effort ended up.

For the primer I use vallejo light grey primer. The primer itself was actually a pretty spot on colour match. In hindsight I almost wish I had just left them as they were at that stage. But then I gave them a coat of light grey paint and looking at pictures from the time I think they have come out too dark now. It's not a big drama though I will give them a lighter coat later and see how they look then.

Edited by DavidMcKenzie