Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice resprays David. I’ve always liked that style of distribution livery.

Look forward to seeing more. Don’t worry about not having made much layout progress, the fun is in playing trains at the end of the day!

Best regards,

Jeeemy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Thanks Jeremy. I have been having plenty of fun and really enjoying modelling/playing trains which in my opinion is more important than making it perfect, but I do think next time I get a bad weather spell I am going to spend a few evenings attacking the scenics on the layout just to keep it progressing.

Talking of fun playing trains, rule #1 got evoked last night and a flyingscotsmen set and a little bit if swiss stock got a run :) .

As well as beeing a lot of fun from the modelling/playing trains side, it's also been a slightly nostalgic project. The reason for the 90132 is not only that the livery is nice one, but also how often she came by in my days as a kid watching trains and taking (usually very blurry :) ) photos. I always remember the interesting name badge for 90132, here is a photo I took 20 something years ago.

post-31334-0-40295900-1528525095.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

David

This is just stunning! You're a man after my own heart, who myself is also a WCML fan. It pains me to say that I am a few years away from starting my own WC project, although I have been beavering away at loco's and stock for a few years now in readiness for it.

Growing up in Coventry, both Coventry and Nuneaton were regular haunts for me through the 90's, as well as stations along the Trent Valley. These mainly being Rugby, Tamworth and Stafford. I did venture all over the network with my father when young, but once old enough most weekends and school holidays would be spent out and about on some sort of rover ticket, ticking off classes 86, 87 and 90 for haulage as well as classes 31, 37, 47, 'D9000', 56, 58, 60 etc that cared to drop on certain XC service's when a 47/8 either blew up or was not available. Happy days indeed and I really miss them, but my plan is to re create this in 2mm myself one day...

R.E. your recent IC 87. Well being a big 87 fan myself, for me it would have to be 031. I currently have a few '7's' on the bench, one of these being 031 in IC Swallow also 034 William Shakespeare in old IC livery, which it carried until circa 1994 along with a small handful of others before giving away to the new IC Swallow livery. By 1995 all 35 87/0's were in IC Swallow. 

A recent addition to my fleet is the beast that was 87101 when she was re painted back into blue and under RFD ownership circa 1994. Note the tiny RFD diamonds under the cast numbers. I was tempted to do 101 in old RFD like yourself, but I remember seeing her loads of times in blue working Intermodals, but never in grey, so blue won it for me.  

38217069122_374ff23b69_z.jpg87101 by Anthony Sutton 37058, on Flickr

Love your 90128 and 129, I have also completed these 2 for myself. Was never keen on SNCF 130. There was actually 4, the fourth being 90122 Freightconnection in standard RFD Euro, which of course is what 128, 129 and 130's names translated to in English.

Modelling the WC is a real headache I find, as virtually everything loco wise needs to be resprayed for this era, well for my era anyway! My plan is is roughly 1993-1995 so lot's of lovely variety with blue, railfreight, sectors, early privatisation etc.  

Keep up the great work mate and looking forward to further updates.  

Cheers

Anthony  

P.S. The recent shots of the 87 and 90 on the 4 track section through the cutting are just Hellfire! I can almost hear those traction motors of the 87 whaling away !!! 

• Like 5

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the kind comments. I look foward to a few years time when your WCML project gets underway. At first I was also a bit put off by the need to respray a lot of locos to get the livery's that fitted my period on the WCML. But now that I am underway I acually think it is a positive thing. The Feeling of doing a respray and a little modelling myself has been far more satisfying than just buying somthing and running it. Of course it all takes a bit longer, but I have no deadline to get the project finished.

Your 87101 Looks brilliant. That is also the correct colour for my time period (1995-1999). Is there anywhere I can follow your stock develop? You look like you are modelling exactly the kind of thing that interests me.

I am one year out with 87101 in RFD livery (I believe it was in these colours until 1994), but I really like it as a livery so i've envoked rule #1. I do have a 'spare' farish 87 in Intercity excutive, which is a bit early for me, so there might be a future project to also do 87101 in blue :).  

I always wondered if 90122 was named intentionally, or if it was just a considence/after thought. It seemed strange that it was not either 90127 or 90131.

All the best

Dave

Thanks for the kind comments.

The yard got the first bit of fencing and I have started to rough out where cars and vans might go. The container won't be bright orange in the end :) , I might even try to get the doors open somehow and get a guy unloading it to give some life to it all.

post-31334-0-64701300-1529679308_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-46514400-1529679347_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 6

47540 got detailed and weathered. It is a non runner and a very old 47 model from farish. It's not as nice as some of the latest models if you look too closely, but it should add an interesting bit of background sitting in a corner of the yard.

post-31334-0-75016200-1529679860_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-33422500-1529679883_thumb.jpg

post-31334-0-17297200-1529679916_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the kind comments. I look foward to a few years time when your WCML project gets underway. At first I was also a bit put off by the need to respray a lot of locos to get the livery's that fitted my period on the WCML. But now that I am underway I acually think it is a positive thing. The Feeling of doing a respray and a little modelling myself has been far more satisfying than just buying somthing and running it. Of course it all takes a bit longer, but I have no deadline to get the project finished.

Your 87101 Looks brilliant. That is also the correct colour for my time period (1995-1999). Is there anywhere I can follow your stock develop? You look like you are modelling exactly the kind of thing that interests me.

I am one year out with 87101 in RFD livery (I believe it was in these colours until 1994), but I really like it as a livery so i've envoked rule #1. I do have a 'spare' farish 87 in Intercity excutive, which is a bit early for me, so there might be a future project to also do 87101 in blue :).  

I always wondered if 90122 was named intentionally, or if it was just a considence/after thought. It seemed strange that it was not either 90127 or 90131.

All the best

Dave

You're welcome Dave. 

Oh yes, it's going to be some time before I even get round to the baseboards, never mind laying track! Have got all the plans though, in my head :sungum: Totally agree with you on the resprays and also it's a nice feeling, knowing that you have something that not many others have. Also I tend to think that it's a nice feeling knowing that you have done that with your own two hands and as you say, not just an exercise of shopping.  

The only page's I have that you could possibly follow is my Flickr or Sutton St Annes on Facebook. My current layout thread is on the N Gauge Forum also the DEMU forum. Not got round to doing a thread on here yet. Trouble is, the more pages I have threads on and keeping them updated, the less time modelling! 

Yes very bizarre that they did't follow suit with numbering of the 90's. 

Cheers

Anthony  

I have to agree with Anthony.

Really enjoy seeing updates on this little gem of a layout.

You're loco's look spot, and the last few pic's of the cutting is ace.

Looking forward to seeing scenery update of that section

Phil

Thanks for your kind words Phil. I agree about needing some scenery in the background. It looks a bit strange with so much newspaper in the background.

I'm afraid the weather's just too nice to be down in the cellar at the moment. I don't think there will be any drastic scenic steps until the weather gets worse. The job list for when the weather turns also includes getting the fiddle yard totally finished and possibly automated. So plenty to do like always.

I've been doing as many of the smaller bits as possible on the terrace during the evening's. Away from detailing stock I've just started having a go at building my own tree's, starting with the wire frames. let's see how they turn out :).

post-31334-0-32191200-1530295164_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You're welcome Dave. 

Oh yes, it's going to be some time before I even get round to the baseboards, never mind laying track! Have got all the plans though, in my head :sungum: Totally agree with you on the resprays and also it's a nice feeling, knowing that you have something that not many others have. Also I tend to think that it's a nice feeling knowing that you have done that with your own two hands and as you say, not just an exercise of shopping.  

The only page's I have that you could possibly follow is my Flickr or Sutton St Annes on Facebook. My current layout thread is on the N Gauge Forum also the DEMU forum. Not got round to doing a thread on here yet. Trouble is, the more pages I have threads on and keeping them updated, the less time modelling! 

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, I'm not on Facebook but I'll take a look at Sutton St Annes on the n gauge forum and your flikr account.

All the best

Dave

Thanks for your kind words Phil. I agree about needing some scenery in the background. It looks a bit strange with so much newspaper in the background.

I'm afraid the weather's just too nice to be down in the cellar at the moment. I don't think there will be any drastic scenic steps until the weather gets worse. The job list for when the weather turns also includes getting the fiddle yard totally finished and possibly automated. So plenty to do like always.

I've been doing as many of the smaller bits as possible on the terrace during the evening's. Away from detailing stock I've just started having a go at building my own tree's, starting with the wire frames. let's see how they turn out :).

attachicon.gifIMG_20180629_183417.jpg

Looks good Dave, trees are always a tricky affair. I went for the “forest in a box” on a previous layout but never had a bash at the wire versions.

Keep up the good work:

Best regards,

Jeremy

You're welcome Dave. 

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I finally found some time to have a good look through your flikr of Sutton st. Anne’s and Sutton Park. Two great layouts and some amazing stock.

I especially liked the class 08 in LMS black 86 627 the industrial society. You’ve got a lot of very interesting liveries there.

Did you make the RCH jumper cables yourself for 47 717 or did you buy them from somewhere? They look brilliant, much better than I’ve managed so far. I’ve struggled to make them small enough for my 87s. I came to the conclusion with my 87s that they look fine so long as you don’t have a photo of the prototype sitting next to the model, but I’m always interested in learning how to make even better models.

All the best

Dave

The yard and surrounding area got a first layer of ballast. It's drying now and later I will hoover up all the loose bits and then go over all the bits that are not fully covered, followed by some static grass and weeds, detailing and weathering.

I had a moment this evening that reminded me I am still very much a beginner :), just after getting to the end of covering the ballast with a pva and water mix I realized I've forgotten to put the easi-shunt magnets in place in the yard.......never mind, I'm sure I will work out a way.

post-31334-0-44561800-1530823610_thumb.jpg

• Like 7