Maid’s Morton

DavidMcKenzie

Is anyone a member of the Ngauge society? I noticed the advert here and it looked very interesting with a huge list of kit's that would have been very much at home on a wcml layout, unfortunately everything I was interested in was sold out. Does anyone know if the kit's are often re-run? Or if there is anything similar to revolutions idea that you effectively put your name (and money) down on a list and if after a certain time not enough people are interested you get a refund?

All of the following kit's interested me and all are sold out:

Warflats

Seacows

Cartics 4s

Timber wagons

Salmon wagons

Gainflow hoppers

I don't really know where the right place to ask this question is, but any help would be very much appreciated.

All the best

Dave

Hello Dave,

There may well be someone along much more qualified than me to comment, but meantime things seem to be moving along. Quite a few of us have been given a kit number each to pack for the shop so that stock can be kept up. But looking at the number of kits available, the sheer amount of work and admin Richard has in supplying the kit packers is no mean feat in itself.

The society newsletters go into more detail.

I've recently picked up some bogie wagons that haven't been readily available until now, admittedly not the ones on your list ( I would like some Seacows myself) ... I do look at the shop regularly and have seem some items come in and out of stock  ( as you probably have...)

That's all i can add really, because it's on a volunteer basis, I think it will take a while.

Oh by the way, am also enjoying your thread...Some nice work

Kind Regards - Steve

Edited by Freight Connection

Hello Dave,

There may well be someone along much more qualified than me to comment, but meantime things seem to be moving along. Quite a few of us have been given a kit number each to pack for the shop so that stock can be kept up. But looking at the number of kits available, the sheer amount of work and admin Richard has in supplying the kit packers is no mean feat in itself.

The society newsletters go into more detail.

I've recently picked up some bogie wagons that haven't been readily available until now, admittedly not the ones on your list ( I would like some Seacows myself) ... I do look at the shop regularly and have seem some items come in and out of stock  ( as you probably have...)

That's all i can add really, because it's on a volunteer basis, I think it will take a while.

Oh by the way, am also enjoying your thread...Some nice work

Kind Regards - Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I can appreciate that there must have been a huge amount of work that went into researching, drawings, tooling, production and posting for all of these kits. That it is all done on a voluntary basis is even more impressive. I find it hard to write something in the correct tone, because on one hand I want to congratulate everyone involved for making the kits possible and on the other hand urge for some re-runs of the kits I am disappointed to have missed out on J.

I have noticed there are other benefits to joining than just the model kit’s, the journal looks good as well. So I think I will give it a go and join up and keep my eye out for re-runs.  

Thanks again.

Dave

Would certainly recommend becoming a member Dave,

You asked a valid question, and I didn't sense any tone.... The newsletters go into more detail on the kit production side itself.

All the best - Steve

Thanks Steve, I am all joined up now and looking forward to the first journal arriving.

All the best

Dave

Maid's Morton? Are you Buckingham based?

Nice layout. Big fan of the WCML.

Liam.

Hi Liam,

Yeah the WCML has a lot of interest doesn't it. I've really enjoyed modelling it because I've found all sorts of interesting things I would otherwise never have noticed or paid much attention to.

Maid's Morton was chosen as a name after doing a walk in that area. I wanted a name that was realistic enough to sound like it could have been somewhere on the WCML if a few hundred years back the lines were laided differently, without actually being anywhere real to give me enough 'modelling licence' to allow for me being a total beginner. I have even intentionally miss spelt it to not link the layout to anywhere exactly.

I am not based in Buckingham, my big motivation for being loosely based on that area came from my grandparents living near by and often taking me down to Tring to watch trains blasting by the station or the cutting as a kid in the late 90s.

All the best

Dave

Rather than just post a finished dirty 37 in a few weeks, I thought I'd take some pictures along the way.

Although the weathering so far looks like I've hardly done anything, there are 7 different colours in there in super light coats believe it or not.

Nothings finished yet and a few things like the buffers just have a rough undercoat and at this stage look terrible, but will hopefully get better with some more work.

Later the spray gun will come out for a few further light coats. Up to this stage everything was with a brush.

I want this loco to remain 'lightly' weathered. I find it a bigger challenge than heavy weathering and it's probably more realistic.

post-31334-0-96163800-1537689168_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-91250800-1537689284_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-17044900-1537689385_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-21859600-1537689433_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-60949100-1537689506_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-57774000-1537689556_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-13410600-1537689604_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-84400200-1537689640_thumb.jpg

All the best

Dave

• Like 8

The 37 got a run. I made a mistake of getting too much paint on the wheels and to start with it didn't run at all. But after giving the wheels a good clean everything was working well again.

Does anyone have a good tip for masking the wheels when spraying? I am not sure if the usual masking tape would work all that well.

A few posed pictures;

post-31334-0-28825000-1537901001_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-47628600-1537901015_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-01139900-1537901028_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-39170800-1537901039_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-93706900-1537901094_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-74263900-1537901112_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-33684500-1537901127_thumb.jpgpost-31334-0-58242200-1537901139_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Many thanks for the kind comment on my own layout thread. I’m so glad I clicked on the link in your signature that brought me to your layout thread as your layout is coming on great, amazing progress in the past year and great details. Really does capture the feel of the WCML and brings back many happy memories of screaming through Tring! (When the wires, track and signalling allowed that to happen ... a bit too infrequently during the 1990s with ageing asset and stock!)

I’ll be following your layout with interest and probably pinching a few ideas and tips! I’ve also used the excellent NBrass OHLE kits, also the Traintronics signal gantry kits and they really to capture the feel of the WCML ... and I like your track layout and track geometry with the sweeping curves ... keep up the good work.

Hey, thanks for the kind comments. I am really enjoying modelling at the moment and it's great to be able to share it with other like minded people.

You are right about the trains not always coming through Tring at full speed. As a kid it felt like a treat when an intercity was coming through on the slow line at a snails pace and I could get a closer look :) . 20 years on I releaize it was probably rather inconvenient for everyone using and operating the railways at the time.

post-31334-0-27525400-1538199061.jpgpost-31334-0-64171600-1538199069.jpg

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 7

David,

Did you ever see the Transport Video Publishing programme 'West Coast Today' produced prior to privatisation, so probably late 1980s, includes a short bit on Tring, but covers the whole of the WCML from Euston to Glasgow, 1 hour problem, that I still have on video, not sure if it was ever released on DVD.

Edit: Forgot to add, enjoying the progress your making!

Richard

Edited by Richie Kynaston

Hi Richard,

I never saw that one. I will look out for it, it sounds really interesting. I couldn't see it on their website so I tried my luck with a quick search on YouTube to see if it had been uploaded by anyone, but no luck so far.

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 1

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for posting that brilliant video. I think the fiddle yard might be too small after watching that......:)

I gave the RES light loco move a try this evening.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181001_222206.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181001_222114.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181001_222036.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181001_214517.jpg

This is great.

One of the reasons I model the period I do is that this period would bankrupt me! There is too much. I have included the tiny electrified section on Speke East because AC electrics are amongst my favourite traction but I wouldn’t be brave enough to try and do the WCML justice! Anything that appears on my layout that is not a 60 or a 66 is a carefully considered compromise and I envy the scope this layout will give you.

Keep it up!

Tim.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for posting that brilliant video. I think the fiddle yard might be too small after watching that...... :)

I gave the RES light loco move a try this evening.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181001_222206.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181001_222114.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181001_222036.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181001_214517.jpg

nice pictures. 

enjoying following the feed ands seeing the progress to the layout