Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Some slightly frustrating news yesterday. Doncaster forgot that they were pencilling us in for next year so we now don't have any exhibitions booked at all.

Any contacts for any exhibition managers who would like a 29.5ft x 9ft layout would be greatly appreciated. Apart from the booking of holidays for work (and the booking of a van) we can arrange things with quite short notice.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Saw the layout at Taunton for the first time - I thought it was great ! Especially liked the 37s and snowploughs .

The mainline possession - was that a sneaky tactical move to reduce the workload because  there was only two of you dealing with the monster !

anyway made for some interesting moves onto the single line . I’ll add this to the “ worth going to this show “ list !

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

hallo, 

I'll be in the UK for Wigan 2020, will you exhibiting, or are applications now closed?

es grüßt 

pc

The invites for large exhibitions are normally finalised at least a year in advance. Our only chance is if there is a cancellation by another layout.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

I've just had an enjoyable few days catching up with this. I had seen the layout in its original form a few times, I think I even exhibited mine nearby at Biggleswade many years ago, but had missed this thread until now. Will make an effort to see it in its new guise when I can. 

Looking great - especially the HSTs.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2013 at 07:42, Flood said:

Well one week to go until the first exhibition of the year.

I haven't been over to Glenn's for a month so I haven't any photos of the Mk2e TSO stock but they have all been finished apart from a bit of weathering. The BCK in SLOA Pullman livery is coming on, Glenn has certainly finished one side and the other will probably be finished early next week.

post-7112-0-73217300-1360971439_thumb.jpg

Following on from an earlier thread on RMweb (http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1509) I have spent the last week and a half making a Two Tier Car Van. Two of them managed to survive until they were withdrawn in April 1988 but when they last ran as part of the East Coast Sleeper rakes I cannot be sure.

Before I started the model I had noted the fact that the well in the centre was too deep as supplied in the kit so 2.5mm was removed from the well height all round. Looking at the model now it should only have been 2mm removed but the effect is noticably better than some of the other models I have seen photos of.

All was going well until today when I compared the model (which was just about to have its roof added) to an Airfix Mk2d First. The kit model was way, way higher than the other coach - measurement with a ruler showed it to be 2.5 mm too high. Off came the sides and ends, the step on the inside of the ends (used to mount the body to the chassis) was raised 2 mm and the sides were reglued to the ends 2mm higher. Not a perfect arrangement as the sides are actually 2mm too high but glueing the rainstrip to the sides instead of the roof will reduce them by about 1mm and a lot of filler around the ends seems to have hidden most of the glaring errors. Keeping the roof flat with the tops of the ends ensured the whole 2.5mm reduction in height was actually achieved.

Spending 5 hours rebuilding a kit was not in todays plan at the start of the day.

Here is the coach is it stands as of tonight:

post-7112-0-49644900-1360971470_thumb.jpg

Plus a view of the reduced depth for the well in the centre:

post-7112-0-46982400-1360971491_thumb.jpg

So I'll leave it now for a couple of days and then smooth off the roof and add the panel joins, roof windows ands vents, end steps and rebuild the broken end hinges (grrr). Finally a coat of primer will probably be the last thing managed before next weeks exhibition.

Try and say hello at Biggleswade if you can - thanks for tuning in.

Hi Flood

Apologies for the severe case of thread deep diving, but I was doing some research on TCV's, saw your post from 2014, and wondered if you ever got around to completing yours?   I trawled your thread to the end, but didn't see any further reference to it being complete.

Cheers

Scott

Congratulations Scott on trawling through the thread to the end.

Yet another one of those "it would be interesting to complete sometime" projects I'm afraid. Basically I found out that by 1987 the TCVs only worked on the Edinburgh overnight service and not to Aberdeen so I had no need to make one.

My model is still sitting, unfinished, alongside my mantelpiece where it has been for the last six (!) years. Where has that time gone?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Flood,

Just looking back at these excellent photos raised a quick question from me... your UKF pallet vans are presumably based on the Lima model - have the mods you made already been discussed somewhere here?  You've obviously modded the solebar on some - am curious of the details as have several I want to mod.

Great work BTW - not yet seen Kirkhill in its later form but did manage to catch it a few times when it was up north in its original format and always enjoyed some time by the lineside.

M

Hi Matt

They are actually Hornby models which sadly have the "Fertilisers" writing in brown and not green as per the, correct, Lima originals.

The solebar etches came from Jon Hall which he described on this excellent thread:

The sides of the two modified wagons should have a slight change in the angle from the data plate to the vertical end. The top of the angle should be half way between the two top hinges, not just below the top hinge. Likewise the two supports inside the ends also follow this profile. The LIma/Hornby mould isn't wrong, it's just there were differences between the builds in reality. I hadn't realised until I had got them back from being weathered by Alex. The end horizontal bracing is also slightly different see Paul Bartlett's photo here:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan/e5371e68c

All batches need the bogies replacing. I used S-Kits Gloucester Fast Freight BG1, Stenson Models now also make them:

http://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/product/bogie-kit-4mm-gloucester-fast-freight-rigid-cc56b/

The first batch of these wagons originally had curtain sides but were rebuilt with doors. The ends of these wagons are different again, as shown by EnterprisingWestern on page 2 of the thread above, but they also had their hinges in-line along the doors and not staggered - good luck with making one of those!

To summarise:

LS7001 - 7030      : totally different ends, in-line hinges, outside frames

LS7031 - 7048      : slightly changed ends from the model, staggered hinges as per the model, outside frames

LS7049                  : as per 7031 - 7048 (replacement for withdrawn LS7013)

LS7050                  : totally rebuilt with flat roof and different sides

BRT7150 - 7166   : as per 7031 - 7048

BRT7167               : as per 7031 - 7048 but Gloucester GPS bogies after 1978

BRT7168               : as per 7031 - 7048 (replacement for withdrawn BRT7151)

SSTR7300 - 7324 : as per the model

One last thing. The handbrake wheels should be 6 spoke, not partially solid as in the model.

We have no bookings at all for this year but we already have at least two, Doncaster and Bristol, for 2021 and others in the pipeline. Glenn is also looking at a building extension to be able to house Kirkhill in set up form to help us with any modifications needed (and for us to be able to play trains more often).

I hope all the above is of use, happy modelling.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 10/01/2020 at 17:49, Flood said:

Congratulations Scott on trawling through the thread to the end.

Yet another one of those "it would be interesting to complete sometime" projects I'm afraid. Basically I found out that by 1987 the TCVs only worked on the Edinburgh overnight service and not to Aberdeen so I had no need to make one.

My model is still sitting, unfinished, alongside my mantelpiece where it has been for the last six (!) years. Where has that time gone?

Sorry, Flood, a quick follow up.

You mention removing some of the height from the car well.

1/. How did you do this?

2/. Without trawling back again, there's also mention 2.5mm was too much - can you remember how you came to that conclusion?

I have four of those kits to build, and the well depth has always concerned me - so it was good to read your post.

Did you notice that the kit artwork - and most / many / all the ones I have seen completed - have the well painted black, but it was actually maroon on the Eastern Region Car Transporter liveried versions (ref embedded link)?  It certainly makes a difference as to how they appear.

Cheers

Scott  

Hi Scott

Looking at the model I removed the height from the top edge of the car well. I can't remember if there are tabs on this edge to locate it to the floor. If there are I think I cut 2.5mm off the height but had to cut up to, and between, the tabs before shortening them.

To be honest I've looked again at the depth of the well and the distance to the rail height and it doesn't seem too bad. The bottom of my well is in line with the bottom of the wide part of the spring supports which equates to Dennis Taylor's old photos from fotopic. The total depth of the well (including the angle at the bottom) is 12mm and the gap to the rail is 3.75mm - a ratio of 3.2 . Measuring the photo I have 34.5mm to 12mm - a ratio of 2.875 . This suggests I didn't take enough off!

Probably the best thing is have a look at the photo I took showing the gap on my model, compare it to any photos you have of the prototype and draw your own conclusions.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Flood said:

Hi Scott

Looking at the model I removed the height from the top edge of the car well. I can't remember if there are tabs on this edge to locate it to the floor. If there are I think I cut 2.5mm off the height but had to cut up to, and between, the tabs before shortening them.

To be honest I've looked again at the depth of the well and the distance to the rail height and it doesn't seem too bad. The bottom of my well is in line with the bottom of the wide part of the spring supports which equates to Dennis Taylor's old photos from fotopic. The total depth of the well (including the angle at the bottom) is 12mm and the gap to the rail is 3.75mm - a ratio of 3.2 . Measuring the photo I have 34.5mm to 12mm - a ratio of 2.875 . This suggests I didn't take enough off!

Probably the best thing is have a look at the photo I took showing the gap on my model, compare it to any photos you have of the prototype and draw your own conclusions.

It was only recently that I actually stuck my TCV next to other carriages and realised how far out the height is(mine was built without modifications). Bit of a shame the height is so wrong as it is an interesting project. 

If we ever do find enough money to buy a Deltic, 3 x 47/4s, 3 x 47/0s, 1 x 46, 4 x 40s, 2 x 27s and 2 x 26s, plus the stock, then I'll be needing to make another TCV for a winter 1980/81 sleeper rake!

Oh yes, the HSTs would need to be TF, TF, TRUK, TRSB, TS, TS, TS, TGS as well so great fun in making TRUKs and TRSBs.

Not enough time, sadly.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick photo of the items I have been working on for the last six weeks (shown on Duffield).

1018423655_Engineersrake.jpg.67b6a254c10e9a7815d1f8c770292849.jpg

Two Cambrian SPA, now ZAA Pike

Two Bachmann OBA, now ZDA Bass. One modified with original springs, one with parabolic springs as produced.

One Bachmann OCA, now ZDA Bass.

Just need some weathering from Alex and loads of sleepers to fill them with.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 14

• 1 month later...

Well this last week has been spent using up my last 6 days of holiday until the new batch starts in April. A week ago on Friday was meant to be going to see The Smyths, this Friday coming was going to see The Who at Nottingham. So much has changed in a week.

So much has also changed on the modelling front. This last week was meant to be solely about more wagons for Kirkhill but that was turned on its head last Saturday when this gem was noted as for sale:

826061821_Tamperasbought.jpg.a98e8993a9e60e04facfb2315c2c242c.jpg

Suddenly all thoughts of wagons went out of the window. The model arrived Tuesday morning and by Tuesday evening the following had happened:

1876579640_Tamperbuffers.jpg.640d0f006ab9289f7c8fe164690d5c75.jpg1. Some oval buffers (stolen from a spare Hornby Class 50 chassis)

231645959_TamperDCC.jpg.b69523142f60b2e7067c6b3f13dbf417.jpg2. Fitting of a DCC chip.

On Wednesday we had:

1896101435_Tamperpickups.jpg.21804b1ce3ddb5e4fc08839a92a02dff.jpgExtra pickups added to the trailing bogie

Thursday was even more drastic! After working out how to separate the cab sides and roof from the rest of the model we now have this photo as of this morning:

Tamper.jpg.f8a203152f81614a4ed936abd0737d01.jpg

The observant of you will note the rain strip added with 20x10 thou microstrip, what a pain in the backside that job was.  I'm now just waiting for some yellow paint to arrive. I've ordered some Experts Choice transfer paper to make a good job of the transfers and then Alex can give the model a very light weather. I'm so happy with how this has worked out.

Now where was I? Oh yes, wagons. Tell you what, I'll do a new post for those.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 11

Back to the wagons.

Three weeks ago I was offered a wagon which I never thought would become available. I had chatted to Paul Spencer of Farkham fame at DEFine in January about using his CAD file to have a Cerestar PBA 3D printed for my own use. To cut a long story short he said that the file did not seem to want to talk to the 3D print software anymore (it was 5-6 years old) so would I be interested in buying his wagon. I don't turn down offers like that (whatever my Bank Manager may say).

Paul's model was finished in full Cerestar livery from 1989 onwards:

853717404_PBAPR11306Farkham(small).jpg.8f83ffced05d3e25c37dd3fe49da18e7.jpg

but I'm still trying to model as near to Spring 1988 as possible so a repaint into CPC livery with Cerestar branding was needed.

PBA.jpg.9fb671784f94de07e577ce5d8733ab66.jpg

A bit more painted detailing then it's on with some Cerestar transfers from Precision Transfers and the rest I'll make myself. This and the Tamper really have made my year (yes I'm that sad).

An ongoing project has been the renumbering of the cement wagons. Another five were done over the last couple of weeks, custom transfers from Railtec will mean the last eight wagons can then be also renumbered.

PCAs.jpg.da96c0507a14a1b24b6d8fd349075a65.jpg

A long term project has been the modelling of the Chivas Regal whisky containers as shown in this link (nearest wagon style):

37303 6A32 Elgin-Craiginches slk, Glentauchers 06.06.1988

37303 6A32 Elgin-Craiginches slk, Glentauchers 06.06.1988 - Mick Page

Two Hornby SAA wagons had their height cut down by about 1.3mm, a top plate of 15 thou plasticard added and, in the case of this model, Bachmann pivot units with 10.5mm wheels added to the chassis. Part of the framing needs to be ground away from the underneath so it is time consuming but worth the effort. Bachmann suspension and underframe details will be added and then the containers will be built. Thanks to Richard at Mickleover Railway Club I have two 26.3mm barrels from Steradent packaging. Airfix ends and wrap with 15 thou will make them perfect for the containers.

FBB.jpg.c63e60d20027d00f32abf0442a278c7c.jpg

To finish, I also found the previous working for 37303 on Flickr:

37303 6A27 Craiginches-Elgin slk, Keith 06.06.1988

37303 6A27 Craiginches-Elgin slk, Keith 06.06.1988 - Mick Page

After asking a few questions on RMweb about the Tautliner containers I now have some C-Rail containers, which arrived this morning, and spare Hornby curtainside wagon bodies. With a bit of chopping around I should be able to make containers similar to the above.

1687055688_TautlinerContainer.jpg.aabbfdbdd43b79e121299c189bb1fd93.jpg

I am slightly peeved though. Reading the Life and Times Freightliner book this service did not start until the Summer of 1988 but even I have to have a bit of lee-way sometimes.

Back to work for a Distribution Centre on Monday so the modelling will have to fit into the spare time again. I'll update as the builds continue. Please comment as you feel fit, especially in this time of community sharing.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Flood said:

Back to the wagons.

Three weeks ago I was offered a wagon which I never thought would become available. I had chatted to Paul Spencer of Farkham fame at DEFine in January about using his CAD file to have a Cerestar PBA 3D printed for my own use. To cut a long story short he said that the file did not seem to want to talk to the 3D print software anymore (it was 5-6 years old) so would I be interested in buying his wagon. I don't turn down offers like that (whatever my Bank Manager may say).

Paul's model was finished in full Cerestar livery from 1989 onwards:

502032705_PBAPR11306Farkham.jpg.8df2d85671826313879cde5216e98cdf.jpg

but I'm still trying to model as near to Spring 1988 as possible so a repaint into CPC livery with Cerestar branding was needed.

PBA.jpg.24589d99c48a8b7dfcb8627b6340fc79.jpg

A bit more painted detailing then it's on with some Cerestar transfers from Precision Transfers and the rest I'll make myself. This and the Tamper really have made my year (yes I'm that sad).

An ongoing project has been the renumbering of the cement wagons. Another five were done over the last couple of weeks, custom transfers from Railtec will mean the last eight wagons can then be also renumbered.

PCAs.jpg.9df4539247a1021f4583e6631bf7398f.jpg

A long term project has been the modelling of the Chivas Regal whisky containers as shown in this link (nearest wagon style):

37303 6A32 Elgin-Craiginches slk, Glentauchers 06.06.1988

Two Hornby SAA wagons had their height cut down by about 1.3mm, a top plate of 15 thou plasticard added and, in the case of this model, Bachmann pivot units with 10.5mm wheels added to the chassis. Part of the framing needs to be ground away from the underneath so it is time consuming but worth the effort. Bachmann suspension and underframe details will be added and then the containers will be built. Thanks to Richard at Mickleover Railway Club I have two 26.3mm barrels from Steradent packaging. Airfix ends and wrap with 15 thou will make them perfect for the containers.

FBB.jpg.5a67703ccbdd2dcf440bbde2000d6202.jpg

To finish, I also found the previous working for 37303 on Flickr:

37303 6A27 Craiginches-Elgin slk, Keith 06.06.1988

After asking a few questions on RMweb about the Tautliners containers I now have some C-Rail containers, which arrived this morning, and spare Hornby curtainside wagon bodies. With a bit of chopping around I should be able to make containers similar to the above.

951590058_TautlinerContainer.jpg.298d1add145b5ac6b695f22cd8737b90.jpg

I am slightly peeved though. Reading the Life and Times Freightliner book this service did not start until the Summer of 1988 but even I have to have a bit of lee-way sometimes.

Back to work for a Distribution Centre on Monday so the modelling will have to fit into the spare time again. I'll update as the builds continue. Please comments as you feel fit, especially in this time of community sharing.

Now this will be interesting- I spent many years when modelling Scotland in the 80s trying to figure out how to do a Chivas Regal wagon. Initial enthusiasm was always thwarted by a realisation that it was beyond my abilities. 
looking forwards to seeing this progress.

4 hours ago, SHerr said:

Now this will be interesting- I spent many years when modelling Scotland in the 80s trying to figure out how to do a Chivas Regal wagon. Initial enthusiasm was always thwarted by a realisation that it was beyond my abilities. 
looking forwards to seeing this progress.

I reckon that the chassis is the long-winded part of the project. I've previously added Bachmann suspension to a Hornby OAA so I've already been through that process.

The container itself is a tube with a box underneath. The box has sloping sides but I made some basic HUO wagons a few years ago (never finished) so as long as you measure correctly then it should all fit together. BUT (I hear you say) the tube is on a slope. True it is but the tube and box underneath are all on a level plane. It is only the narrow vertical sides of the container which are immediately above the chassis that are narrower at one end to the other, thus creating the slope. Therefore I will make the cylinder and box unit first and then add the vertical sides later.

What could possibly go wrong???:lol::jester:

• 3 weeks later...

I very quick update to cover the progress of last weekend.

Fifteen cement wagons now individually numbered with offloading instructions on side boards added. I have ordered some Stenson Models disc brake actuators but they won't arrive from Shapeways until about May. Many thanks to Railtec for supplying the larger style numbers on eight of the wagons, they certainly make a difference. For a complete change for me here's a 45 second video of the rake, not great but you get the idea:

Once the brake gear is modified, and the lock-down has finished, they will all get a proper weathering job from Alex.

I haven't done any more to the other wagons yet, I'll post an update when I have something to show you.

In the meantime many thanks for stopping by.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 9

The weekend of the 4th April was supposed to be the finishing of the Cerestar PBA starch wagon. After applying the transfers to one side and using Humbrol acrylic varnish to seal I had the varnish react with the Humbrol black enamel which caused a ripple/bubble effect in the paintwork. This was annoying but not otherwise too bad as it was the chassis that was affected and it will be weathered anyway. There was also the same reaction with the Humbrol Satin enamel used on the transfers (the enamel can jammed after being used on the transfers so I couldn't use it later). After much comment and a bit of luck I managed to make the main body transfers settle back down and retrieve the situation. After this no more was attempted that weekend.

An initial blast with Humbrol Acrylic on the other side, a week ago, was reasonably ok so the remaining transfers have been applied and sealed today. Whilst the wagon is annoyingly not perfect at 6 inch viewing it will be fine for the layout , especially after Alex has subtlely weathered it. The Procor transfers had to be home made and are a bit fuzzy but, again, they are just about acceptable. The transfer border seen near the Cerestar logo is deliberate, you can see where the new vinyl was added on the original wagons.

I gave up with the bogies originally supplied, brass frame and resin sides, as the axles kept falling out. The new GPS bogies from Olivia's Trains, as used on their B.O.C. tanks, work really well.

So another wagon virtually finished. Only two Whisky container flats, curtainside containers and the brake actuators for the cement wagons now to do.

723070675_PBAwagon.jpg.c6f1a7a7ad1a48ae914dc182af1b2a37.jpg

As always please feel free to comment on anything you find on this thread.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

21 minutes ago, bigP said:

That is awesome!  Nice work.

Many thanks. It really is a very rare wagon, there were only eight used for starch traffic on the full sized railway and Paul Spencer's 3D print is the only model I know of. The different coloured valves really set it off.

I'm also fortunate that there were so many interesting wagons working to Aberdeen in the late 1980s.