Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

• RMweb Premium

I reckon those water taps are smack on the right thing but I'll show Glenn tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Thanks again Steve, you really are coming up trumps at the mo.

I'll sort you out some alarm cable for the hoses as well wink.gif

PS Happy Birthday for yesterday. You kept that one quiet.............................laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

I reckon those water taps are smack on the right thing but I'll show Glenn tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Thanks again Steve, you really are coming up trumps at the mo.

The GEM ones look the part Graham - all you need 4mm scale brewers hose and 18" dia round wooden discs for fitting 2ft from the end of the hose - oh and a 5gallon drum to sit the end of the hose in!

Not much to add to your list ;)

I've just added photos of all the locos we run on the layout to the blog along with some selected coaching stock. I've repeated a few photos here to try to get you interested, not all the photos were this good! They've all been taken this afternoon on Glenn's other layout Glen Carron. Full descriptions of the coaching stock on the blog. The duffs and 26s are Heljan, the 08s are Hornby and Bachmann and the 37s are Bachmann. 37033 was an EWS 37114.

post-7112-12600363110754_thumb.jpg

post-7112-12600363171993_thumb.jpg

post-7112-1260036322417_thumb.jpg

post-7112-12600363258996_thumb.jpg

post-7112-12600363271603_thumb.jpg

DC Kits POS

post-7112-12600363644006_thumb.jpg

Bachmann Mk2Z TSO

post-7112-12600363672033_thumb.jpg

DC Kits DBSO

post-7112-12600363688121_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That Mk2z looks great, did you repaint it?

Rick

It was repainted by Glenn (my colleague who is also making/running the layout).

As the Bachmann roof comes off and the windows pop out it was a relatively straight forward exercise to air brush the executive light grey and then mask this to spray the dark grey. The white/blue stripe is from Fox (I ordered the "weathered" set, the blue is lighter and more accurate) as are the ScotRail and numbers. We use Tamiya masking tape. You need a few thin coats of the light grey to cover the blue, using an NSE coach might be better (but you may not get the silver window frames).

Strictly speaking the stripe is too low by about 1 to 1.5 mm but as it is it matches the Heljan 47s. All in all a nice change to the norm. Glenn is thinking about doing another two but the layout has to be near perfect for May so that is taking priority.

Any joy obtaining the taps yet Graham? I will bring the hoses tomorrow nightwink.gifwink.gif

Cracking Runrig Concert the other night at Sheffieldbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gificon_clap.gificon_clap.gif

I ordered 5 packs direct from Gem. The lady there seemed very confused that I needed that many until I told her what they were for. Excellent service BTW, arrived in about two days. Edited by Flood

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this might be of some use Graham as your shed is much the same proportions and this was built for the job. Inverness Carriage Depot in 1985 when it was not that old though one of the last specifically "carriage" sheds built..... Luxury compared with Clayhills (2 coaches at a time) and with split level pits - lower in centre as used at all the HST/Carriage Maintenance Depots since the mid 70s.

p.s. Sorry the focus isn't great!

post-6691-12621316856984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Seeing as I'm not going to be leaving the house for a few days (got a stinking cold which is typical for the first full Christmas holiday in five years) I'll drop a few words down on the thread to keep everyone abreast of developments.

The first two electromagnets are installed with five more to do. This is the major job over the next month as the ballast has to be relaid where the magnets are situated. The lights for the road bridge are being done at the same time and a panel will be needed for all the electromagnet switches.

After all these are done then the track can be fully weathered. Then will be the installation of the stand pipes, making of the lighting gantries, making of the battery boxes and shore supply units and the siting of two sub-stations (one for each end of the layout).

Follow that with installation of the lighting for the depot building along with the lighting gantries (and the lighting towers when they arrive in February) and it'll just be down to some more relief along the front and some security fencing.

Sounds easy doesn't it!

Observant people will notice that I have neglected to mention the cladding of the depot building (along with its windows). I was going to do this task this week, I'll see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. If I feel like I did today then there is no chance.

Just under five months to Derby exhibition - the same time span it took to build the basic layout in the first place. We want to be ready in three months to iron out any possible problems. All I'm wanting this week is good health, luck is not going to come into it.

Edit: The occasional sip of Macphail's single malt seems to alleviate the cough. It comes from Elgin yaknow (pretty close to the depot location!), highly recommended.

Bob, you're a genius. That photo is perfect and a significant help, many thanks once again.

You do realise that if this layout is good enough we might have to take a trip up to an exhibition in your neck of the woods - you might even like a play if the opportunity arises!

BTW I seem to remember something about the shore supply units having changed at depots over the years. You wouldn't have any photos of the 1980s style ones as well would you? As far as I know there was one type needed for the loco hauled stock and another type for the HSTs, is that correct?

Thanks for keeping an eye on the blog and the thread. It's the interest and knowledge from people such as yourself that help me in the dream that Glenn and I are not just doing this to have a static layout but one we can take to show people all over the country.

Bob, you're a genius. That photo is perfect and a significant help, many thanks once again.

You do realise that if this layout is good enough we might have to take a trip up to an exhibition in your neck of the woods - you might even like a play if the opportunity arises!

BTW I seem to remember something about the shore supply units having changed at depots over the years. You wouldn't have any photos of the 1980s style ones as well would you? As far as I know there was one type needed for the loco hauled stock and another type for the HSTs, is that correct?

Thanks for keeping an eye on the blog and the thread. It's the interest and knowledge from people such as yourself that help me in the dream that Glenn and I are not just doing this to have a static layout but one we can take to show people all over the country.

No problem Graham - I'm bound to have photo's somewhere of the shore supply connection units and the control panels. Static battery chargers & outlets changed quite considerably over the years as the 24v version had been in the carriage sidings since Adam was a boy - and with the advent of Mk3s & HST's needed 110v equipment! , however the only real change I noticed for the ETS, was with the addition of the three-phase supplies for the HSTs - generally just "planted" (as only the Plant & Services folk could arrange) alongside the 800-1000v ETH supply, but of course also with two separate control panels..... The only other changes I remember were to the earth-proving equipment for the shore supplies however that was a technical rather than "visual" change. I'm sure a photo might surface that'll show what I mean! - Ask Glenn what a "Battery End" is :rolleyes:

How are you modelling the CET equipment for the sleepers? and is it laid out to do a whole set at once or 1/2 vehicles at a time?

How are you modelling the CET equipment for the sleepers? and is it laid out to do a whole set at once or 1/2 vehicles at a time?

I've just had a look at all the photos we've taken and I haven't one of the CET area!

What follows is a very crude drawing! We have five of these (spaced at Mk3 intervals) and that easily covers the four Mk3 Sleepers which is the maximum we can accomodate.

post-7112-12621382923714_thumb.jpg

Basically a pipe in a concrete apron, each one approx 4 cms long.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well hello to everyone who's been following the layout - like many other people this is the first time I've been able to log on since the weekend but I know that Andy will be doing his best to resolve the problems.

The 2 foot section of the depot buildings has now been virtually fully clad and all I have to do is wake up early enough after working lates to pick up some 10 thou plasticard to tidy some areas up. Then it's onto the 4 foot section and then spraying and weathering. We're looking at ways of being able to fix the depot buildings to the layout securely but also giving us the option to remove them in case of derailments. This would be relatively straight forward if it wasn't for wanting to have lighting inside them as well.

After six weeks of ripping up track to install uncouplers they are now all in place complete with ballast and the fuel points are being looked at. We're hoping to have a design subtlely different from the Knightwing ones just for some variation.

The junction boxes and control boxes for the shore supply points were made and painted last weekend. Glenn has been experimenting with the best wire to use for the two different types of cables - photos to follow when installed. Along with these the first sub-station compound is also being done.

Last weekend was a joy in the fact that detail was being added to the layout instead of sections being ripped up. We also realised that we have five months until the next exhibition - this was the time span we had to build an operating layout before the first exhibition so we appear to be well on track. Even so we would like the layout to be complete by the end of March, at the latest, to give us six weeks testing time. With some additional stock moves the schedule has had to be tweaked in a number of places and we need to confirm that it works.

I hope to be able to post some photos in the next couple of weeks. To everyone who has been looking at the blog and commenting on this thread I'd like to thank you all for your interest and please add any comments you feel are necessary. We also look forward to, hopefully, seeing a number of you at Derby in May.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to wait until Glenn and I had actually finished painting all the recent items we've been making for the layout but as that is going to take at least another week, day out to Stafford next weekend plus other commitments, I've decided to post a few samples just to show what we have been up to.

First up the shore supply points at the end of each road. The yellow control box is for the 800 - 1000v ETH supply (loco hauled coaching stock), next to it is the grey junction box with two ETH cables emerging. The junction box now has a silver painted frame around it, the ETH cables will be painted very faded orange (possible flesh colour). The 3 wires wrapped around the buffer stop are for the HST supply, these have the same style junction boxes but totally different control boxes. Two roads will have both a loco hauled and HST supply, the other two roads will just have the loco hauled style supply.

1909278034_Shoresupply02.JPG.ba3bd644be4b827a94828eb12866f004.JPG

952086531_Shoresupply01.JPG.cf3e6b80180b63e42b432296a1cd8395.JPG

Next up is the first lighting gantry. We've used LEDs instead of grain of wheat bulbs so we need to make reflectors for the bulbs. 6mm diameter (paper hole punch size) should be about correct but the lights are so bright that we feel a 8mm diameter reflector would look better. All we need to find is a 8mm (approx) diameter hole punch from somewhere.

1328292645_Lightinggantry.JPG.f636b2f493bcb580731acfb25f9e663d.JPG

Finally there is one of the loco refuelling points. We wanted a complete change from the usual Knightwing style so the canopy is based on Norwich Crown Point and the 'curtain rail' style refuelling rig is as per Craigentinny. Obviously the pipes still need painting but we're pretty pleased with the end result. These refuelling points are also going to be lit, by strip lights.

1703428587_Fuelpoint.JPG.ab92c7580be0805d4f1fab373c7468d2.JPG

When it's all done it'll look like a Christmas tree but just adding these little details (along with the battery chargers and stand pipes) I feel has added considerably more interest to the layout. Originally if there was not many trains in the layout looked somewhat bare, now there are some little points of interest for the public to view.

Perhaps in another month or so I can post so photos of a more complete nature, in the meantime please comment as you feel fit.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

Great idea with the fueling point, Im looking for something other than the usual ones you see on layouts. Well done. How did you make the curtain rail style, is it just electric cable or something ?

Regards

Leon.

Great idea with the fueling point, Im looking for something other than the usual ones you see on layouts. Well done. How did you make the curtain rail style, is it just electric cable or something ?

Regards

Leon.

The fuel hoses are electric cable like you say, whether Glenn has used single core or multi core I can't remember. The rails for the hoses are plastic coated wire and the rest of the pipe work is from the Knightwing miscellaneous pipes pack. The one item we were going to be short of was the aviation style fuel connector on the end of the hose, looking at one of the Knightwing packs there were some small circular sprue sections left from the moulding process complete with a dimple in the end which easily solved that problem.

The trigger style fuel hose ends, that Knightwing also supply one of, were only used on DMUs and as we don't run any of these we luckily didn't need them.

What I haven't pointed out yet is the other change from the norm with the fuel points. Using them primarily for HSTs we need two fuelling points spaced eight coaches apart and to add more interest we have now simulated Craigentinny a little by making five fuelling points - two together at the buffer stops (battery end) and three together at the release end. Hence the need for so many aviation style fuel connectors, ten in all.

Thanks to both of you for the kind comments. I'm a little bit embarassed that we haven't managed to take any photos of the layout since last October's exhibition, hopefully I can cure that in about a months time.

In the meantime comments and general interest are always appreciated as I'm sure you both know. I've had a quick look at your layout Leon and you too have chosen a different subject from the norm. Always good to see some variation in railway modelling and your weathering is setting the scene nicely, I'll certainly be following it from now on.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and the appreciation. Now I could say that a full layout plan and the photos from October are on my blog but that would just be shooting myself in the foot so here goes...

First up the plan of the layout. This was originally drawn in XTrkCAD but subsequent revisions have just been made using copy and paste in Paint. You can click on the plan to see it in better detail.

1108520356_Layoutplan02.jpg.6f7245dfa378bab76ebc79e9ec36c77f.jpg

The cross-over by the washing plant is new from this November and the crossover at the wheel lathe end originally was right-handed not left-handed. It is these two revisions, plus the placement of numerous electro-magnets, which have slowed the detailing side over the last two months.

Now I'll show a selection of photos taken at Mickleover Exhibition in October, or taken a few days before in Glenn's front room. More than ever I'm now noticing the sparseness of the layout at this time. I'm in the process of cladding the depot building this week but working lates is taking its toll.

1747004903_Glenn01.JPG.adf084976e43345065a2656d5717aeae.JPG

1183324441_Glenn03.JPG.4e787b0881c3d59675b6af57b280dc29.JPG

1288089061_Kirkhill01.JPG.cde1599b448e923aa8def2c1f2858b27.JPG

346301431_Kirkhill02.JPG.48915c6108a0fab3c83d634085a2ecc2.JPG

328645239_Kirkhill03.JPG.c565f1a28530bd7c0502a7321bcaceb7.JPG

Like I've said before I'm hoping we can take some more photos in about a month showing all the latest details, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Thanks Flood, Loco hauled coaching stock, them were the days. I wanted to model the same sort of thing as I remember the Intercity Cls 47s passing the house with stock from York to Swansea. Opted for freight instead

Thanks for all the responses - now for one of my own!

Just to add to Graham's (Flood's) coments on the ETH cables and fuel hoses - I used single core bell wire (1/0.6mm). It's about the right diameter and the beauty of it is that once you bend it, it stays bent, so all the glue has to do is hold it in position.

Rather than having five fuel points all the same, I'm considering having three as the one in the photo for HSTs so that the depot can cater for 2+8 and 2+7 HSTs and then keeping two fuel points for locos - we need two for locos because the push-pulls arrive loco-trailing whereas the loco leads with the conventional sets. There are a few reasons for separate loco and HST points:

• It makes it that bit more interesting to have some variety,

• We actually need different points for locos and HSTs anyway - although the fuel was common, locos and HSTs used different coolant and I seem to recall that the lubricating oils were different between the Sulzer/English Electric engines in the locos and the Paxman Valentas in the HSTs. I remember there was discussion regarding standardisation of lub oils but I cannot be sure if we actually achieved it. Chances are though that the depot would have been built to cater for both types anyway.

The photo of the fuel point only shows two hoses and associated connections, but a third has now been added so that it can now be used for fuel, oil and coolant.

Some may remember that locos used only water (softened with BSM) whereas the HSTs used an ethylene glycol based antifreeze solution which included a corrosion inhibitor to protect the Valentas. Eventually, during the later part of the 1980s, ScotRail also began using antifreeze in the locos following some very expensive frozen engines(!) but this (I think) was still different to the HSTs. Again, our depot would have been built before the change, so to cut a long story short, we need separate fuel points!

Glenn