Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

So he slaps on a reply telling me nothing about it, the cheek!!!!

Not sure if we are going to cater for 2+7 HST rakes so it may well be that we have two fuel points for a 2+8 HST and three fuel points for locos, one of the reasons for needing at least two fuel points for locos is we have occasions when two locos need to be fuelled at the same time. Like Glenn has said though we will be making the loco fuel points subtlely different from the 'curtain rail' style HST ones.

In the meantime we'll be off to Stafford MREX on Sunday for retail theropy so that's another weekend where we should be working on the layout and we've skived off!

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not we've actually managed to not only 1) finish something on the layout but also 2) take some photos!

Below are the three fuel points nearest to the depot exit, two for locos and one for HSTs. Two more fuel points are situated at the battery end (one each for locos and HSTs). All of these are lit by imitation flourescent lights from Kytes. In addition I've finished the battery chargers this last weekend and these will be fixed on the layout, along with the water taps, once the last two lighting gantries have been finished this week.

So more photos on the way soon but in the meantime enjoy the following:

First off, an overall view of the three fuel points

528363661_Overallfuelpointsatnight.JPG.979ca4b3e073964603764a64f30bbd1b.JPG

HST fuel point

872700767_HSTfuelpointatnight.JPG.18f06909f4419c9707b5edc838960fa0.JPG

Loco fuel point

8119581_Locofuelpointatnight.JPG.71e156935d4e1abcaa3bea3139422f9e.JPG

Loco fuel point in close up

543534821_Locofuelpointcloseup.JPG.acf8a957499eaa4855e87530e53a7843.JPG

View of loco ready for fuelling

221609901_FuelPointsatnight.JPG.b879483bf93e8f3acb8346bcc84369f1.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going to post the following pics yet as I know we're getting very close to finishing boards 1 to 3 apart from a strip of scenery along the front. However the following two, taken by Glenn on Sunday night, I feel are so good that we just had to share them...

post-7112-126825618117_thumb.jpg

post-7112-126825620126_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Graham & Glenn

The layout's looking great. I saw it at Mickleover last year and will see it again at Derby in May. It will be interesting to see the changes.

Your fuelling area looks great. What have you used to create the striplights? Are they scratch built or off the shelf?

Dave

Many thanks for all the kind comments, it's good to see so many people taking an interest.

Dave, the strip lights for the fuel points are from Kytes Lights, Bognor Regis. They're two LEDs in a box unit 3.5 cm long complete with a resistor and at 3 pound 99p each are cheaper than buying white LEDs from Maplin!

We've been working on the layout from 10.30 saturday morning until 12 o'clock saturday night (apart from lunch and dinner).

I've finished off a fork lift, made some brutes, painted the light diffusers on the gantries, fixed in the last two fuelling points and started to add the stand pipes. Glenn has spent the whole day wiring up the lights in both parts of the shed, the gantries, the fuelling points and the shed office with a little help from me to hold stuff as required.

As of 23.30 boards 1 and 2 looked thus:

With the dining room lights on:

post-7112-126856572962_thumb.jpg

Only one of the cleaning platforms has the stand pipes fitted at this time, by 12.00 last night both cleaning platforms had them. The fuel points (and the depot entry road) are off screen to the left (the view didn't look so good with a large dresser behind it!)

By dimming the dining room lights we get a simulation of dusk. We use spot lights on the layout normally so we'll be turning these off (possibly using a dimmer switch) at exhibitions when we get to the equivalent of 5 o'clock in the evening on our schedule and turning them back on at the equivalent of 7.45 in the morning.

post-7112-126856586507_thumb.jpg

By turning off the dining room lights the depot looks like this:

post-7112-126856595956_thumb.jpg

It obviously won't be this dark in a exhibition hall but we think the effect should still be noticable. It seems to have taken us a long time to get this far and we've still got to add hoses to the stand pipes, portable battery chargers and cables, shore supply points and general stuff like drums, pallets, brutes and a fork lift to these two boards. I am particularly pleased with the loco hauled stock permanent battery chargers which are so prominent in the daylight view.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

This looks a nice layout.

After using so much available space I just don't see the opperating potential of such a layout though.

Nice work anyway.

Anyone modelling a terminus station of the same size as this layout would probably have the following schedule for each train:

1) train arrives and loco on front moves forward

2) loco off depot moves onto front of train

3) train departs

4) spare loco goes on shed

if the same loco is used to arrive and depart the service the the train will be shunted into another platform to release the train loco.

On a coaching stock depot layout:

1) train arrives on fuel road

2) stock shunted via wash road to shed for servicing

3) train loco goes to stabling road

4) stock shunted from shed to carriage cleaning roads

5) train loco moves onto train and train departs

In other words the stock makes one or two more moves than it would in a terminus station. This may not seem much but we are running the actual schedule for Aberdeen in winter 1987-1988 which gives 2 HSTs, 1 cross country air-con rake, 2 push-pull rakes, 1 Inverness rake, 1 parcels rake, 1 postal rake, 1 local rake and 2 ten coach sleepers all to be serviced. Another push-pull rake arrives to take the ScotRail sleeper back to Glasgow and we have all the locos diagrammed to their official workings. Of course some of these rakes arrive whilst another is still being serviced and a queue begins to build up, especially in the evening part of the schedule.

In addition the sleeper rakes are split (the sleepers go to the controlled emission toilets area) and the cross country rake has to be reversed (the BG at one end and the buffet at the other are swapped).

It takes about four hours to complete all the movements for a 24 hour weekday and all I can say is that with three of us running it for two days in October we were far too busy to get bored. Added to that we have the satisfaction of knowing that all the movements made are there for a reason and are those performed day and night by staff never seen by the travelling public.

• Like 1

Superb layout, great work and excellent detail. Love the shed and fuelling points, I agree with PCM look forward to seeing photos of your stock on the layout.

The photo of the LL 47 reminds me of visits to Bounds Green depot when the long range fuel tank 47s were there moving the sleepers and other coaching stock around. Always did like the Eastfield ones, 47665 with the large Scottie dog was one of my favourites of that batch.

...I agree with PCM look forward to seeing photos of your stock on the layout.

The photo of the LL 47 reminds me of visits to Bounds Green depot when the long range fuel tank 47s were there moving the sleepers and other coaching stock around. Always did like the Eastfield ones, 47665 with the large Scottie dog was one of my favourites of that batch.

We're thinking of having a running session over Easter so I'll try to get some photos taken with the stock on then. Incidently, I've just numbered up 47663 as the last loco we need for the layout (well I might do a large logo 37/0 at some time as well) but the 47 still needs some light weathering on the roof and chassis.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind comments, here's a photo of the latest piece of detail...

post-7112-126869973507_thumb.jpg

We've just got to make some tubs for the hose ends to hang into.

• Like 2

Hi Graham,

Am really enjoying watching this layout develop. There always seems to be something new every time I drop in.

Can I ask did you make (or buy) the taps shown in the last photo? And what did you make the hose out of (wire?). Sorry if you've already mentioned it. I could do with a few like that for Waverley West.

Like Peter and Grimleygrid said, looking forward to seeing some shots with the stock on.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Dave,

The taps are made by Gem, they come in packs of 6 (see the bottom of page 1 of this thread).

The hose is made from the wire in computer ribbon (it's the smallest diameter sheathed wire we can find). You not only get it in a multitude of colours (orange needed for drinking water, black for toilets) but the wire inside is very flexible but will still hold its shape.

Graham.

Hi Flood

what was used for the meshing on the deck of the fuelling point? ive been looking for something like that for use on my challenge layout.

cheers bry

The fuelling points started off as Knightwing ones (although with the new canopies and pipework they don't look much like them now). As such the decks of the fuelling points are just normal Knightwing ones.

Still no photos of stock, like I said before you'll have to wait until Easter.

Glenn e-mailed me these last night, finally looks like we're getting somewhere. The areas of ballast with no weathering are where the uncoupling electro-magnets are sited, these will be done when the whole layout is back together.

post-7112-126882836813_thumb.jpg

post-7112-126882838642_thumb.jpg

post-7112-126882840547_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dave,

The taps are made by Gem, they come in packs of 6 (see the bottom of page 1 of this thread).

The hose is made from the wire in computer ribbon (it's the smallest diameter sheathed wire we can find). You not only get it in a multitude of colours (orange needed for drinking water, black for toilets) but the wire inside is very flexible but will still hold its shape.

Graham.

Thanks Graham. Sorry, should have checked through the thread.

Cheers,

Dave

We're thinking of having a running session over Easter so I'll try to get some photos taken with the stock on then. Incidently, I've just numbered up 47663 as the last loco we need for the layout (well I might do a large logo 37/0 at some time as well) but the 47 still needs some light weathering on the roof and chassis.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind comments, here's a photo of the latest piece of detail...

post-7112-126869973507_thumb.jpg

We've just got to make some tubs for the hose ends to hang into.

Great photo Graham - you've managed to capture the (literally) bleached brewers hoses well - especially the later photo of the end sitting in the drum complete with it's plywood collar.... These wee details are often difficult to capture however you (both) have managed it, and it makes all the difference! Just remember the majority of hoses (except those on the fuel point) were the orange brewers hose, as you never knew where the catering cars were going to end up positioned, so they just made them all orange in the sidings!

Have you managed to source 4mm propane bottles?

p.s. It's nothing like Aberdeen............................rolleyes.gif There's no bl@@dy seagulls nesting in the four foot or on the roof of the shed waiting to doo upon the unwary......smile.gif