Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Bob

The propane bottles are awaiting a store (not too sure where this is going yet) and we all agree the seagulls are an absolute must. We might have to have seagull sound effects, a bit like Rowlands Castle has with Spitfires!

(perhaps not)

Over to Nottingham Exhibition yesterday for a couple of hours to pick up some more items.

We are looking for some platform trolleys for putting full bin bags on. We've looked at the Langley and Dart Castings ones but Glenn says these a bit old fashioned, what we need is a motorised trolley with a handle - i.e. you walk along in front of it and press a button on the handle and that powers it along. If anyone has any ideas we will be very grateful.

Seagulls are made by Langley, we'll get these at York in two weeks time. More propane cylinders have been bought and the propane store fencing is ready to be installed.

The hoses and tubs are now finished, next up are installing the shore supply points and finishing the portable battery chargers. I've got the week off so I'll be renumbering about twenty coaches and adding no.5 kadees to those that need them. Later in the week I'll be adding the windows to the depot building. Glenn has started the scenery on the front of boards 1, 2 and 3 so hopefully by Easter we will have half of the layout complete.

He then has a week off to add lights to the road bridge and the C.E.T. points, build a panel for the uncouplers and build the wheel lathe shed - a busy month for both of us.

One more photo to keep you all interested...

post-7112-126954692775_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

...............and build the wheel lathe shed

Thought you would sneak that one in under the wire to see if we are paying attention? - a Ground Wheel Lathe smile.gif Where did that come from - totally missed that one in the past. Hope it'll contain a scale Hegenscheidt lathe (c/w Hegenscheidt Engineer flown in to fix it)!

............and build the wheel lathe shed.

Thought you would sneak that one in under the wire to see if we are paying attention?

I actually first mentioned it on here on 12th November! It will contain the lathe but probably not by May.

Astounding news! After 15 months 22 days the Mk1 BFK is virtually finished. The roof has been satin varnished tonight so can join the rest of the coach tomorrow. I've also managed to renumber four Mk2 TSOs and finish all the brickwork on the depot shed.

Tomorrow will be adding windows to the depot shed all day with the odd respite of more renumbering. Can't wait to get the shed back on the layout in a complete state for the first time - that should be on Saturday. If I carry on at this rate then Friday can be a day of rest!

Anyone modelling a terminus station of the same size as this layout would probably have the following schedule for each train:

1) train arrives and loco on front moves forward

2) loco off depot moves onto front of train

3) train departs

4) spare loco goes on shed

if the same loco is used to arrive and depart the service the the train will be shunted into another platform to release the train loco.

On a coaching stock depot layout:

1) train arrives on fuel road

2) stock shunted via wash road to shed for servicing

3) train loco goes to stabling road

4) stock shunted from shed to carriage cleaning roads

5) train loco moves onto train and train departs

In other words the stock makes one or two more moves than it would in a terminus station. This may not seem much but we are running the actual schedule for Aberdeen in winter 1987-1988 which gives 2 HSTs, 1 cross country air-con rake, 2 push-pull rakes, 1 Inverness rake, 1 parcels rake, 1 postal rake, 1 local rake and 2 ten coach sleepers all to be serviced. Another push-pull rake arrives to take the ScotRail sleeper back to Glasgow and we have all the locos diagrammed to their official workings. Of course some of these rakes arrive whilst another is still being serviced and a queue begins to build up, especially in the evening part of the schedule.

In addition the sleeper rakes are split (the sleepers go to the controlled emission toilets area) and the cross country rake has to be reversed (the BG at one end and the buffet at the other are swapped).

It takes about four hours to complete all the movements for a 24 hour weekday and all I can say is that with three of us running it for two days in October we were far too busy to get bored. Added to that we have the satisfaction of knowing that all the movements made are there for a reason and are those performed day and night by staff never seen by the travelling public.

Hi again Flood! (remember me from the diesel roundhouse idea topic B) )

Appologies for my ignorance and misunderstanding of the concept of your layout. Of course it's just like a terminus station - I hadn't thought of that :rolleyes:

And, I must say, after having studied your photos of the right/entrance end of the layout I can see that it is indeed far more interesting than I'd originally thought.

Amongst other things, I didn't initially realize that it was based on Aberdeen (unfortunatly, I'm not too familiar with that part of the country - Birmingham's about the limit for me!) and opperating that to schedule will make for an intresting challenge for you from an opperations point of view.

So now I'm begining to see the point of this layout ;)

By the way, that's not OO track is it? EM perhaps? I really like the ballest, looks so real! The wooden walkways seem very nice too.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the progress.

In addition the sleeper rakes are split (the sleepers go to the controlled emission toilets area) and the cross country rake has to be reversed (the BG at one end and the buffet at the other are swapped)

If you intend to reverse the cross country rakes on the layout, rather then in the fiddle yard, with the automatic uncouplers (I have no idea how these things work :blink: ) that will make for some very intresting movements without the intervention of the Hand Of God.

This is all starting to make sense to me now. I'm begining to really like this layout :)

By the way, that's not OO track is it? EM perhaps? I really like the ballest, looks so real! The wooden walkways seem very nice too.
Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks for the compliments - the track is actually code 100 OO but by spraying the rail sides in sleeper grime before we ballasted it has reduced the appearance in size of the rail. We originally thought the ballast looked a bit large but it doesn't seem too bad now. The major point is that it took Glenn a long time to brush all the ballast into place before using diluted pva and there is no way that he will want to do it again. I'm particularly pleased with the walkways - I just painted a light base colour in enamel and when fully dry painted over in a dark brown enamel, left for about a minute to dry and then rubbed first lengthways (to get the dark brown staying between the planks) and then widthways to get an impression of the grain of the wood.

We used the "Hand of God" in the October exhibition but it was a pain hence the fitting of the electro magnets. We use Kadees on all stock so all you need to do is drive over the magnet, click the switch down on the panel (not yet built!), gently push the stock together with the loco (we use DCC with a Prodigy Advance controller and Lenz chips for excellent slow speed running) and the couplings just separate on their own.

Anyway, I should be doing the windows on the depot building not enjoy being on here! Edited by Flood

Started at ten o'clock in the morning and as of forty minutes ago the depot buildings are finished. Yeh, okay, they need to be weathered and the extractor fans need painting silver but after todays grind those tasks are small fry.

The two large weights on the roof are solely there to straighten the two sections for the photo. Both sections are slightly warped but once they are screwed onto the baseboards everything is ok.

The six window sections nearest the entrance are clear so that the public can see inside, all the other windows are frosted (which all the windows would be in a real 1980s carriage shed).

post-7112-126956573468_thumb.jpg

post-7112-126956575268_thumb.jpg

Now I can go to bed and chill out tomorrow!

• Like 2

Hi Flood,

That looks great,biggrin.gif cool.gif you certainly deserve a rest, top stuff. I see you have done a BG with white line, I did an old Replica one a while back, just adds to the variety, Nice.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

Flood,

Only just found this topic.

Loco hauled stock and an abundance of BR Blue...just my cup of tea :D

Keep the photos coming - those blue night shots have real character.

Pete

Peter - You don't miss a thing do ya! You can't really tell but the BG has also got the circuit working lettering on the sides. This was kindly made for me by Precision Labels and arrived in a couple of days, great service.

Grimley - The extractors are made by Unit Models but I feel I must mention that I first saw them on a layout at Warley and one of the operators gave me the details as the extractors had been made for them on request. Without this help we would have been really stuck.

Glenn and I have said that we'd like this layout to be the benchmark for coaching stock depots. Whether it will be good enough for that accolade is not for us to say but we have joked that it will be the best one made because no other idiots are going to be foolhardy enough to want to make one in the first place!

Three more photos to digest.

Shore supply points on roads 3 and 4, these are for loco hauled stock only. Some of the ETH connectors are held in metal cradles to avoid too much damage.

post-7112-126986666004_thumb.jpg

Shore supply points for roads 1 and 2. Both HST and loco hauled stock connections on these two roads (yes, the HST control box is bent and has now been straightened :rolleyes: ). Loco hauled cables in red as before, HST cables are three thin black ones twisted together.

post-7112-126986668036_thumb.jpg

Final view of a cleaning road. Water taps with orange hoses for drinking water, small white tubs containing bleach to keep the hose end clean, portable battery charger with 110V cable, the small grey posts on the opposite platform edge are the sockets for the portable battery chargers (barely able to be noticed) and finally a 47/7 just for a change!

post-7112-126986661631_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Grimley - The extractors are made by Unit Models but I feel I must mention that I first saw them on a layout at Warley and one of the operators gave me the details as the extractors had been made for them on request. Without this help we would have been really stuck.

Many thanks for the info Flood, very helpful.

Well it really is coming on now and looks superb, a really detailed layout. More photos please!

The DBSO looks good sitting there, I never did get used to seeing them in Anglia livery. ScotRail suited them best.

Hi Flood,

Great detail in the latest pics top stuff.

I have a question for you, I have a few carriage sidings on my layout and was thinking they should have a few water taps for topping up the coaches, The carriage sidings only see about 3 sets a day and two a stabled overnight do you think I need both hoses as you have done? I am modelling 1986-7 so I am not sure if they had one hose for toilets and one for water? and were they orange back in 86?

This is of course your fault as I was just going to do a few taps and a bit of black hose, but since seeing your work its got me thinking.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mr Flood.

I notice you managed to finish off all the windows in the shed last week. its looking good.

Have you finished off your shoping list for York yet? wink.gif smile.gif . I can hear your wallet groaning from here laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ramrig.

Will talk to Glenn tonight re Friday.

I have a question for you, I have a few carriage sidings on my layout and was thinking they should have a few water taps for topping up the coaches, The carriage sidings only see about 3 sets a day and two a stabled overnight do you think I need both hoses as you have done? I am modelling 1986-7 so I am not sure if they had one hose for toilets and one for water? and were they orange back in 86?

This is of course your fault as I was just going to do a few taps and a bit of black hose, but since seeing your work its got me thinking.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

We were going to have a few more black hoses but if you read Bob's post at the bottom of page 3 he says they tended to have more orange ones as you never knew where the catering cars were going to be. Both the cleaning platforms have been given all orange hoses. It also means you can model the tubs which had the bleach in and don't forget the plywood disk near the end so the end of the hose never touched the ground.

On the water taps for the HST road (directly onto ballast not on a cleaning platform) we've put orange hoses on all the taps except the ones at each end. These line up with the fuel points on the other side of the track so we have two reasons for using black: 1) they'll line up with the power cars anyway and 2) being so close to a fuelling point they have a good chance of being easily contaminated.

I've a photo that Bob sent me of Aberdeen showing the shore supply points but it also shows the water hoses (mounted incidently on hose reels for another variation) and every one of the hoses is orange. At the real Aberdeen of course the fuelling point is well away from the cleaning roads. So I'd say orange for all your hoses unless you're near a fuelling point then use black.

Here's an old photo (March 14, so much seems to have happened in the last two weeks) with an overall view of the cleaning and arrival roads and a few lines of description.

post-7112-126994952815_thumb.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Mr Flood.

I notice you managed to finish off all the windows in the shed last week. its looking good.

Have you finished off your shoping list for York yet? wink.gif smile.gif . I can hear your wallet groaning from here laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ramrig.

Will talk to Glenn tonight re Friday.

I don't think the shopping list is ever finished is it Steve? :excl: :icon_e_biggrin:

Thank you to everyone for all their kind comments. :)

• RMweb Premium

We were going to have a few more black hoses but if you read Bob's post at the bottom of page 3 he says they tended to have more orange ones as you never knew where the catering cars were going to be. Both the cleaning platforms have been given all orange hoses. It also means you can model the tubs which had the bleach in and don't forget the plywood disk near the end so the end of the hose never touched the ground.

On the water taps for the HST road (directly onto ballast not on a cleaning platform) we've put orange hoses on all the taps except the ones at each end. These line up with the fuel points on the other side of the track so we have two reasons for using black: 1) they'll line up with the power cars anyway and 2) being so close to a fuelling point they have a good chance of being easily contaminated.

I've a photo that Bob sent me of Aberdeen showing the shore supply points but it also shows the water hoses (mounted incidently on hose reels for another variation) and every one of the hoses is orange. At the real Aberdeen of course the fuelling point is well away from the cleaning roads. So I'd say orange for all your hoses unless you're near a fuelling point then use black.

Here's an old photo (March 14, so much seems to have happened in the last two weeks) with an overall view of the cleaning and arrival roads and a few lines of description.

post-7112-126994952815_thumb.jpg

HTH

My, you have been busy Mr Flood. What has Glenn been doing during all your activity wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif tongue.gif ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Tongue in Cheek

Don't forget Nottingham Royal Concert Hall. 9th December 2010.biggrin.gif

My, you have been busy Mr Flood. What has Glenn been doing during all your activity wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif tongue.gif ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Tongue in Cheek

I've heard about your sarcastic comments from a source of mine!

Obviously I need to explain the difference between I and we. :icon_yawn: :P I is what I type when I have actually done something (very rare I'll admit!), we is what I type when Glenn has done something.

Come to think of it, I can't remember when you last did something on Duffield! :icon_razz: :icon_winker:

• RMweb Premium

Come to think of it, I can't remember when you last did something on Duffield! :icon_razz: :icon_winker:

. . . . and I can't remember when I did anything either. Isn't Glenn the guy who runs the storage depot where you keep your layout :D

Mike :icon_wave:

. . . . and I can't remember when I did anything either. Isn't Glenn the guy who runs the storage depot where you keep your layout :D

Mike :icon_wave:

I can see I'm not going to win here, I'm off to work. (as in being employed, not actually working)