Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

I'm sure we'd love to have a good travel round but as Derby is our first major exhibition we've only managed to publisize the layout on RMweb so far so no offers from further afield.

We'll be at the mini Midlands RMweb open day in July and back at Mickleover in October. As long as we feel the layout is up to scratch in May we'll probably start actively promoting after that. I'll have a chat with Glenn, and most probably the guys from Farkham, to work out the best plan of action. Naturally I keep you all informed on here.

BTW thanks for the praise, always appreciated.

Just for Bob, photo hot off the press from this evening. Just goes to show that Glenn works even when he's on holiday.

986224546_Wheellatheshed13April2010.JPG.47c96e9486241bc08023e91b2c738ee1.JPG

Note: this is at the elusive far end of the layout, rarely seen by people except at exhibitions or home visits! With the wheel lathe shed being added and the scenery currently being extended this far down you can now expect to see more photos of this half of the layout.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Hi Flood,

The quality of the modelling and the atmosphere is superb. Keep the pictures coming.

Quick question; I have read through the thread againa nd I can't see what material you use to make the building carcass from. Could you let me know.

Many thanks

Jeff

The depot shed and the wheel lathe shed are both made from 4 mm plywood.

I've posted the following photos on the blog already but that was a while ago so I'll show them again here. Normal wood glue used to glue it all together. The depot was then sprayed in Halfords primer just so it was an overall grey colour for the October exhibition.

760812229_Depotbuilding.JPG.f1198068429fec6bf4e57aa86ead44be.JPG

870628239_Depotbuilding(2).JPG.347a264ec4b06485e5974dd23c643d99.JPG

172834217_depotbuilding(3)resize.JPG.45e991f2504fbcdab672120a7e02b4af.JPG

551629262_depotbuilding(4)resize.jpg.29f5c38dcfa300080a6fdf6d2d86db53.jpg

Evergreen metal siding plastic card used for the upper panels and Slaters brick plasticard used for the lower brickwork, both these stuck onto the plywood using Bostick. Evergreen roofing and Bostick for the roof.

842379650_depotlightsandshedresize.jpg.78899d5ab41fd52563b5fb407ab126a3.jpg

The depot building was sprayed in primer over everything except the brickwork and then the upper panels were sprayed blue (couple of coats). The brickwork is painted in Humbrol rail grey enamel, left to dry thoroughly and then over painted in Humbrol matt 32 which is wiped off to leave the dark grey mortar. The windows had the edges scribed on using a small screwdriver and were then painted white and rubbed off. I used acrylic which was a real pain, in future I'll stay with using enamels for the paint and wipe method. The window edges are the thin strips you get with the Evergreen roofing sheets. These are glued where the supports are in the wooden structure so you can't see any frosting of the plasticard.

1153364734_Shed02.JPG.249b24d4bef389c7f77930b6079695a3.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Just for Bob, photo hot off the press from this evening. Just goes to show that Glenn works even when he's on holiday.

Thanks Graham! - How far are you and Glenn going with detailing the interior of the Wheel Lathe Shed?

Certainly looks the part..

Cheers,

Thanks Graham! - How far are you and Glenn going with detailing the interior of the Wheel Lathe Shed?

Certainly looks the part..

Cheers,

The interior was being looked at by Glenn's friend Ian but he has had no time at all of late so basically there hasn't been anything made interior wise.

We had a discussion about possibly converting a rolling road but that was months ago so we'll have to get our heads together and work out the best solution.

I can safely say that we won't have a wheel lathe for May!

One more photo to keep the interest going - the subject of this one we are really pleased with: 43117 is a conversion of a Lima dummy power car by Alex Carpenter (ABC Models) - complete with working drawbar. We will be using this - dragging in a "failed" HST set with a Class 47, then detaching 43117 and attaching a replacement which will have "arrived" light (with barrier) from Craigentinny. The now working and refuelled HST will depart, followed by 43117 + barrier and Class 47 en-route to Craigentinny or another East Coast depot for repairs.

Alex had an FGW fag-packet version of this which he brought to the club one evening and when I saw it, I thought "Got to have one of these!" so Graham donated one of his (many) power cars to the cause!

This will be one of the moves which happens during the daytime part of the sequence when not much else is going on to keep interest going - should be an unusual move!post-7306-127154791796.jpg

• Like 3

Its looking great lads, aas someone who works at a hst depot, nothing looks out of place or contrived (tho I'm personally not keen on the soft scottish decking between roads ;P)

Have you tried putting a shore socket onto a mk3... I wouldnt think It was possible from the coach... but the handles would make it easier to plug it in, the plugs are big ally castings (apprentice test #34 - plugging in the shore with one hand)

Its looking great lads, aas someone who works at a hst depot, nothing looks out of place or contrived (tho I'm personally not keen on the soft scottish decking between roads ;P)

Have you tried putting a shore socket onto a mk3... I wouldnt think It was possible from the coach... but the handles would make it easier to plug it in, the plugs are big ally castings (apprentice test #34 - plugging in the shore with one hand)

Thanks for the feedback - glad it's looking familiar. I've used shore supply plugs and sockets of both types when I worked at Craigentinny - and yes it's almost impossible to connect a three-phase supply to a coach (or power car) single-handed. The bolts on the headstocks to hold the lids in the open position make it slightly easier whilst you insert the plug, but I still wouldn't want to do it without my steel toe caps! Only our representation of the 850V single phase supplies have the "sleds" on the sockets, the 3-phase HST plugs are just lying on the ground like the real thing - and I tried to represent the size of the plugs - like you say, they are enormous with a weight to match...

Glenn

post-7306-127180657878.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to the distance involved. 97250 ETHEL 1 is prepared ready for the journey from East Thorpe Quay to Aberdeen Kirkhill for an appearance on the 15th and 16th May 2010. (See below)wink.gif wink.gif All thats needed is a suitable diesel to tow it North!

post-7289-127189011608_thumb.jpg

post-7289-127189014308_thumb.jpg

I am sure it will become a wee bit grimey on the way north a' border wink.gif (Runrig country biggrin.gif )

• Like 1

Thanks Steve! I'll post a photo showing its condition when it arrives.....

In the meantime, Ive finished the shed which will eventually house the wheel lathe. It isn't fully wired in yet, but I took the following whilst I was testing the lighting - purchased once again from Kytes Lights. When we eventually get a "lathe" inside, they should show it off to good effect!

post-7306-127189373064.jpg

post-7306-127189375376.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve! I'll post a photo showing its condition when it arrives.....

In the meantime, Ive finished the shed which will eventually house the wheel lathe. It isn't fully wired in yet, but I took the following whilst I was testing the lighting - purchased once again from Kytes Lights. When we eventually get a "lathe" inside, they should show it off to good effect!

post-7306-127189373064.jpg

post-7306-127189375376.jpg

That new shed is looking very impressive. You have been very busy. As for Richards offer. Any suggestions from Nobbs End to Kirkhill rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

That new shed is looking very impressive. You have been very busy. As for Richards offer. Any suggestions from Nobbs End to Kirkhill rolleyes.gif

Both Kirkhill and Nobbs End are DCC so you'll have to chat to Alan and see which loco he can spare. Either that or hire a Peak from Justin.

Both Kirkhill and Nobbs End are DCC so you'll have to chat to Alan and see which loco he can spare. Either that or hire a Peak from Justin.

We've got 43072 needs to get from Duffield/Neverwhere to Kirkhill as well, so with a suitable barrier it could drag the ETHEL - now that would make for an interesting combination. Let's see what the operating department can come up with......

So that's what Alan meant about calling at a chippy on the way. I thought he was hungryrolleyes.gif .

Richard

A RES 47 would be an interesting choice or you could use my noisy 45053wink.gif

Could also check out FINSbury Park or if near the sea get a HADdock shunterblink.gif

After Belper last saturday I now know me fishtank don't leak and me diver keeps popping up in the cornertongue.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Another marathon day which started at eleven o'clock and finished for me about 15 mins ago (Glenn is still working).

Apart from a break for lunch it's been 8 hours of making and fitting Kadee couplings to 20 coaches for me (plus a rest when I added some data panels to a couple of locos) and the same length of time for Glenn who has been wiring up a block detector and making the wiring that goes to the lighting at the far end of the layout neater. Board 4 is now totally finished, including the first of the lights for the C.E.T point and while the dinner is cooking Glenn is now doing the remaining C.E.T lights on board 5 and extending the lighting wiring to board 6.

As per the two photos below I remember someone once said that for DCC you only need two wires :lol: :blink: :excl:

post-7112-127213357618_thumb.jpg

post-7112-127213359873_thumb.jpg

Ok, strictly speaking the DCC is only two wires, then there's the point motors, block detection, layout lighting and the uncouplers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to the distance involved. 97250 ETHEL 1 is prepared ready for the journey from East Thorpe Quay to Aberdeen Kirkhill for an appearance on the 15th and 16th May 2010. (See below)wink.gif wink.gif All thats needed is a suitable diesel to tow it North!

post-7289-127189011608_thumb.jpg

post-7289-127189014308_thumb.jpg

I am sure it will become a wee bit grimey on the way north a' border wink.gif (Runrig country biggrin.gif )

The shunter finally arrived to prepare the ETHEL for the trip north

post-7289-127249667648_thumb.jpg

Class 66 arrives for the trip to Aberdeen via Derby to collect a HST power car.

post-7289-127249670228_thumb.jpg

After coupling up and a brake test the two depart for Derby.

post-7289-127249672667_thumb.jpg

More updates of the journey north to follow.

• Like 1

Cue bagpipes blasting out "The Engine Room" as the trip gets under way.

On a different note I have been informed that the three lighting towers from Express Models have been sent 1st Class post (should arrive tomorrow, i.e today :rolleyes: ) and, to quote from Glenn, "The Seagulls Have Landed".

Bit of luck we've got two free days this weekend to get even more work done - now to get on fotopic and find some photos of seagulls.

• RMweb Premium

After a Locomotive change at Toton the Class 47. 47311 & ETHEL moved to Derby to collect a barrier coach and the HST power car for the move north. We see the train passing through Duffield as the 0S25 Derby Litchurch Lane - Aberdeen Kirkhill via Leeds.

post-7289-127289052271_thumb.jpg

...............and not a single seagull in sight. wink.gif

• Like 1