Advice on curve radius

Gremlin

Hi All

I am looking for advice on success or otherwise with track curves.

Due to space limitation, I can only use 600mm wide baseboards and I want to run double track; therefore the outer radius would be 300mm and the inner radius would be around 270mm.  The curves will be on flat sections at the ends of the baseboards.

Based on your running experience, will this allow Mk1 coaches and 4-6-0 and 4-6-2 to run without causing buffer lock?

Cheers

That should be sufficient to lay Peco Setrack 1st and 2nd radius curves in a semi-circle (it's just a tad too tight to use 3rd radius) Provided you're using the supplied rapido couplers you should be fine. Using Streamline track centres would be inadvisable for the curves, but would be fine once you're back on the straight.

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest trying your locos on the smaller radius first. Many newer large steam outline locos are designed for a minimum radius equivalent to Peco 2nd radius. Whilst some will go round 1st radius it is better to check than to be disappointed. 

I would suggest trying your locos on the smaller radius first. Many newer large steam outline locos are designed for a minimum radius equivalent to Peco 2nd radius. Whilst some will go round 1st radius it is better to check than to be disappointed. 

I faced the same problem and used 1st and 2nd Radius for the 90 degree hidden curves returning to the fiddle-yard. Anything Farish is fine (right up to Duchess, A2 etc) but the Dapol A3 and A4 are unhappy on less than R2.

Roy