Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition 17th - 18th March 2018

doctor quinn

Am thinking of driving up from Rugby this morning. Are the roads around Nottingham OK? Any info welcome.

Graham

M1 was clear around j25 and radio says is ok throughout. A52 and roads to venue from j25 ok, mostly gritted and clear, a few small areas with snow blowing around but all exhibitors have made it from the hotel @ J25

Orange line buses running as passed one on way in

I visited just after opening yesterday and left in a blizzard just after lunch. Congratulations to the organisers on a decent show. There were some very good layouts. I always enjoy seeing Mike Kelly’s Caradon Junction and was also impressed by Burdale Colliery, Wickwar and the operationof South Town.

I agree with a previous post about Calderwood.I have seen this layout at four different shows and it is always the same - loads of bell signals but no movement.

A good range of trade too. Nothing tempted me but that was just one of those things.

The crowd seemed better than last year but were well dispersed around the wide aisles making it easy to move around the hall.

All in all an enjoyable few hours. Hope today goes well.

* edited to correct a layout name.

Edited by andyram

• RMweb Premium

I agree with a previous post about Clarendon. I have seen this layout at four different shows and it is always the same - loads of bell signals but no movement.

Clarendon wasn’t at the show....

• Like 1

I spent yesterday a great show well worth the trip.

A very good balance of layouts and trade, thanks to all who made the show possible.

We had an in depth conversation with Roy Jackson on the art of coach building, very interesting and I will be having a go.

The hobby is a fascinating one and is always full of surprises and it is exhibitions like this one that keep the interest and give inspiration.

Oh and star buy was for me a GNR tender kit from BRANCHLINES, being after one for ages and the guys face when he realised he had a sale and took money off a Yorkshire man = priceless!!! Anyway I can now build the snowplough for Finsbury Park 

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, our EM demo stand will be severely depleted today. No injuries but we had a car badly damaged going home last night and a some of us have been involved with sorting out the aftermath this morning and getting people home etc.

John Phillips and Vernon Harrod are going to make the trip to the show but Roy Jackson, Vincent Worthington, Mick Moore, John McCrea and myself send our apologies but will be missing from the show today.

Tony Gee

I went to the show today, and thought it was excellent. I also particularly liked South Town and Wickwar, but thought the overall standard was very good. Nice to see an unusual prototype modelled - The Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway.

No problem getting there, but it appears that a lot of people didn't bother today, given what we woke up to locally. Thanks to B&D boy for the early morning traffic report!

t-b-g - glad to hear that all involved are OK, even if the car wasn't, bet Roy's comments were unprintable!! Cars are replaceable.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by Suddaby

Hi Folks

Enjoyed the 2017 show last year and was looking forward to attending this year ...

... however around 170 cm / 7 inches of snow overnight put paid to plans - a shame as I hoped to see Herculaniaum Dock.

Hopefully will be able to catch this layout sometime.

Art in Sheffield.

Had a very enjoyable day at the Nottingham show. We managed to get over to Nottingham from the East Cost despite the snow. The worst going being though Grantham town centre although this had cleared by the time we were going home.

I hope the show still manages to break even as I expect the Sunday attendance would have been much lower then usual, it certainly felt quieter.

Some excellent layouts on display, it was good to see Aberdeen Kirkhill in it's extended format although it did seem somewhat quieter movement wise. However it's still an excellent layout and I really enjoyed seeing it's new form.

Also gave Moggs Eye a hand on Cottleston as he was an operator down. Had a great time helping out for an hour or two despite the unfamiliar DCC system causing me a few issues.

I also ended up spending far too much money!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The show was a little slow starting this morning and quieter than usual owing to the weather. But the main & local roads, drive up to the venue & car parks had been cleared.

The organizers & volunteers deserve great credit for running a good show in the frozen conditions, including the guys on car park and bus driving duties. As always a diverse collection of layouts & other stands.

The Friends of the GC Main Line and Bridge to the Future project greatly appreciated being there to fly the flag and meet our friends from GCRN and other visitors.

Dava

I'd agree with everything thats been said, Nottingham is almost always a good show (though I was never a fan of the years in the school) but this deserves to go down as a vintage   year and it was a great shame that the weather intervened in the way it did. Attendances looked to be well down, even allowing for the lower numbers on a Sunday.

I left with a view that there was no one layout which stood out as head and shoulders above the others, all were equally inspiring in their own way and overall it was a particularly well balanced line-up. 

One layout which does deserve mention was Weaver Hill which was notable for the crowd of youngsters in front of it every time I passed by. Its a simple solution, four track oval, continuous running, good selection of trains, on demand when asked, and a great model for just watching the trains go by. This is a leisure activity and whilst exhibits are open to subjective interpretation, one mans meat and all that, shows are in the entertainment game and anything which entertains and attracts new blood has to be worthy of praise.

just finished doing the setting out calculations so that I can mark out the floor. Why do we still work in imperial, I wonder? Out of 29 layouts, only one quotes the size in metres. The Autocad plan of the show is done in metric, so I am always converting back and forth. Perhaps I will ask for metric layout dimensions next year!

My easy conversion - a 5 feet layout is 2.5 metres......

Les

Just got home after packing up the show. Thanks for all the kind comments on here and very many thanks to the exhibitors and, above all, visitors who braved the cold and came to the show.  I am glad you liked it. 

Our best wishes go to the EM crew after their accident last night and we are glad that they are OK.

We apologise for the low temperature in the hall; sports halls are just not designed for indoor events in arctic conditions. In previous years we have been too hot and in 2014 and 2015 visitors were even picnicing outside!

It was a challenging show to run, in the conditions, and we had to reorganise some aspects of the running of the show today to cope with the circumstances. Regrettably, we did take rather a big hit financially but the full extent won't be known until we have all the figures in. 

Exhibition managers are not supposed to have favourites, so I can't say which layout I liked best, but I can say that the public vote was won by Welby Lane , but only by one vote! In second place was Wickwar with Herculaneum Dock close behind. Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised by a layout based on the Melton Mowbray to Nottingham  test track being the most popular here in Nottingham!

• Like 3

Evening All 

Another exhibition done , layout now all packed away , van returned , must say layout ran better than expected , had a few problems before opening on first day , thenran perfect , until a little child decided to put his fingers in the OHLE just as a train was passing , a big Ooops as wires and stantions parted company with each other , lucky not to much damage , the up side the child did enjoy watching the trains go round , even came back for a second look .

The exhibition was excellent some very nice layouts , well done .

Thanks 

Further to my last post, I would just like to say thank you to RANGERS comments about Weaver Hill. We received lots of positive comments over the weekend about the layout and catered to the target audience. The idea behind the layout was to create something for the families who attend shows. They could see something they see out on the current mainline. It really is quite amazing how many mums know the different classes of trains. As before an excellent weekend playing trains

• Like 1

Kirkmellington is now unpacked safely at home though still a cold blizzard when I got back.

Thanks to the Nottingham club for the hospitality this weekend, we’ve always enjoyed the show as punters and exhibitors. It’s a shame the weather was so bad and whilst we have frost bitten fingers from the air vents in the hall, we have some good memories to take away and a few more bits & pieces to model with.

There were many great layouts on show but the most apt in the circumstances was this:

post-7035-0-79214600-1521410445_thumb.jpeg

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 6

Regrettably, we did take rather a big hit financially but the full extent won't be known until we have all the figures in.

I'm glad you got the full two days - I was pretty worried for you when the BBC TV weather said 'Nottingham 150mm of snow' this morning.

I'm sure the Leamington club took a bigger hit two weeks ago - they had no choice but to cancel (which in that case proved a prudent choice - the roads on that Friday evening were pretty dire)

Tricky decisions all round I think.

Thanks again for a great show.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Premium

Had an enjoyable time at the Show. The "refreshment team" provided excellentlunches, teas, coffees and home made cakes and scones.

A very good show and thanks for letting us come and exhibit.

Biggest problem on the way north was the wind on the M1.

Baz