Heljan Lights / Bulbs

Hi Bob,

Can you not convert the lighting to LED's which would last longer.

John

I bought 2 Heljan 26s and find that the lights are very (maybe prototypically?) dim, even after tinkering with the CVs on a Lenz standard. Is it a simple enough job to replace the bulbs with LEDs? I like to see the lights a bit brighter!

JD

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jinty3f,

I have just finished fitting leds to a 47, I found it meant hacking the front of the chassis to make the room.

Pictures will hopefully make this clearer.

MickD.

post-8792-12701582296_thumb.jpg

post-8792-127015825445_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jinty3f,

I have just finished fitting leds to a 47, I found it meant hacking the front of the chassis to make the room.

Pictures will hopefully make this clearer.

MickD.

Thanks for the pics - I reckon it needs a bit of courage to take a knife to a brand new loco! I will check out the 26 and see if I am brave enough.

JD

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jinty3f,

If you do pluck up the courage,it is not as hard as it seems,and it makes a tremendous difference to the loco.you can see them in a lighted room,as opposed to having to switch the light out to see if the bulbs are on!!!.

MickD.

Hi Guys

I havent been ignoring your very useful and interesting replies....I have been away over easter hols and am just picking up your replies. Let me have a think about everything you are suggesting, check out my loco, then I'll get back to you all.

Thanks again.......Bob.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Replacing  the bulbs with LED's on Heljan 26/27's is fairly straight forward.   I've converted a few of them in the past.  I also took the opportunity to add cab lighting.   

See my WB thread for more info:  

I'd be happy to discuss fitting LED lighting to anybody's model, more details via PM only. 

HTH

Ken

DSC01130.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1