Spalding Model Railway Exhibition 2017 - 11th & 12th of November

Thomas Wright

Here's a thought. Clearly most two day shows suffer with Saturday (morning) overload. Why not make Saturday mornings specifically aimed at families and those with mobility difficulties who naturally need more space. I'm sure that many families avoid such crowded venues and getting youngsters involved is seen as vital. Special features for the young could be arranges for that time which then do not need to be continued when the adult audience are present.

Eg although 'the cheese layout' is very clever. I really don't want to see it myself. But clearly children find it great fun.

There is a concurrent thread on here called The French Way or something similar. Worth reading if you haven't.

Perhaps how we organise popular exhibitions needs reviewing.

I will predict comments about over-crowding regarding Warley on the Saturday in two weeks time.

And then of course there were some complained Scaleforum was too spacious. (It wasn't - it was civilised)

Can't please us all.

You certainly have to pick your time to visit Spalding. It seems to get rammed from around 10:30 till lunchtime. There's a noticeable lull of people around lunch viewing the layouts as they are all in the catering/sat in the car with their packup.

Sadly it is, and has been for sometime, a victim of it's own success. My view is there was certainly more room in the aisles and around the layouts this year then previously. Unfortunately if they reduce the number of exhibits to create more aisle space then there will be complaints. They're dammed if they do they're dammed if they don't as there's no other venue in the area that can offer what Springfields does.

As an exhibitor I cannot thank Tom the Exhibition Manager, the Spalding Club and all their helpers enough. The whole weekend was very enjoyable and I hope they continue to put on such an excellent show.

Just got back. The modelling was of a very high standard, a very high standard indeed; the venue has clearly been re-furbished since my first and only other visit and is a lot better for it, but the number of visitors the show attracts is too great for the venue. I don't know whether or not it would be possible to increase the width of the gangways to any great effect, most of the crowding seemed be where too many people wanted to see the same layout.

There were queues for the catering but other than that I cannot comment because I always take my own to shows, but why, why, was one of the box shifters only willing to accept cash for his wheres? I'd have bought a loco of him, but I don't carry that much cash around with me, and I haven't ever, not ever!

I did manage to take some pictures using a monopod, I'll post after I've processed them.

A good show, marred only by its own success!

Regards

but why, why, was one of the box shifters only willing to accept cash for his wheres? 

I heard some traders in hall 1 discussing the lack of adequate communications links for their card machines. Certainly in Hall 2 I had no phone signal at all (2 calls from SHMBO missed oops!)

Squires were using 'paper card slips' I think - I saw one person signing one. If the 'box-shifter' didn't have this back up he was stymied. I didn't identify a public Wi-Fi at the venue.

This is the 21st century and any venue worth its salt should really have adequate communications available. While in rural areas phone coverage can be patchy Wi-Fi should be available.

Surely traders, organisers and venues discuss this kind of thing. 

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed myself on Saturday, very good selection of layouts. Yes it was crowded when I visited, which can make watching the layouts less enjoyable. But it is great for the organisers. 

I also enjoyed the Hull show today but what a contrast, there appeared to be more exhibitors than punters after 2.30pm. Not good for the organisers.

Both shows were on a par with each other regarding layouts, demos, trade etc. And I had a great weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Good show went today. I heard alot of comments from exhibtors saying oh it such a long time to get there set up etc etc. But they get paid to go. Its the only hobby i know were you get paid to exhibit.

I have never been paid to exhibit a model railway or do a modelling demonstration. Most shows I have attended I have just about covered my expenses, petrol, van hire etc.

If I was to ask all the other members on this forum who exhibit their layouts for fun to put their hands up, if they have ever been paid. Not one would go up.

You get expenses. If you build a layout for an exhibition that needs a van then why do you expect clubs to Pay van hire?

Can end up with an exhibition that has layouts that only fit in back of cars. Big layouts are what draw in visitors as it’s something they cannot replicate in their own homes very easily

Good show went today. I heard alot of comments from exhibtors saying oh it such a long time to get there set up etc etc. But they get paid to go. Its the only hobby i know were you get paid to exhibit.

Please do try to get your facts right before you post. We get our fuel and van hire expenses refunded which is not quite as you describe. We do it because we enjoy entertaining the public.

An apology would be nice.

• RMweb Premium

Please do try to get your facts right before you post. We get our fuel and van hire expenses refunded which is not quite as you describe. We do it because we enjoy entertaining the public.

An apology would be nice.

Absolutely, Mr marms gives the impression that exhibitors should fund the costs of exhibiting. I exhibit and never make a penny in “profit” and would not expect to. It is perfectly reasonable that a show offering model layouts to view and attract attendance should contribute something towards the cost. Edited by 70000 Britannia

• RMweb Premium

I heard some traders in hall 1 discussing the lack of adequate communications links for their card machines. Certainly in Hall 2 I had no phone signal at all (2 calls from SHMBO missed oops!)

Squires were using 'paper card slips' I think - I saw one person signing one. If the 'box-shifter' didn't have this back up he was stymied. I didn't identify a public Wi-Fi at the venue.

This is the 21st century and any venue worth its salt should really have adequate communications available. While in rural areas phone coverage can be patchy Wi-Fi should be available.

I help a friend at some O Gauge and Narrow Gauge shows (Paul Martin of EDM Models)  He has a hand held card reader that runs through an 'App' on his mobile phone provided by 'Sum-Up'. If he can't get a phone signal then he has a portable wi-fi set up on his laptop running on another mobile network so he always has two chances of getting a signal. Very rare that we go to a show where we can't use either system.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I went to the Spalding show last year and enjoyed it. I had planned to go again this year but must admit the comments about overcrowded aisles and smelly visitors put me off.

Would it make sense to manage the show's undoubted success by increasing the admission price? This would reduce numbers while maintaining profitability for the organising club.

Cheers

Ben A.

I help a friend at some O Gauge and Narrow Gauge shows (Paul Martin of EDM Models)  He has a hand held card reader that runs through an 'App' on his mobile phone provided by 'Sum-Up'. If he can't get a phone signal then he has a portable wi-fi set up on his laptop running on another mobile network so he always has two chances of getting a signal. Very rare that we go to a show where we can't use either system.

Indeed, where there's a will there's a way. 

Although I wonder how many traders when booking or being booked discuss or explore the comms available or have contingency plans like your friend? How many exhibition organisers discuss the comms when booking a venue?  

At the end of the day a trader will only prosper and survive if he meets the needs of customers. The cash only box shift mentioned before will inevitably have lost sales.

As someone who exhibits my own / friends / club layouts at least 6/7 times a year, I feel Someone needs to point out a few facts from an invited  Exhibitors POV. 

If you get invited to a show with your layout, you get paid your travel expenses, and if it's a long distance, you get put up in a comfortable ( hopefully!!) B&B / hotel.  Teas and coffee are provided during the show is provided, as is a basic lunch.

Errm, and that's it.. no appearance fees, No 5 star digs, No free slap meals paid for by the Show organiser, they are on a tight budget anyhow, and all exhibitors know that.

In my own experience, doing a show usually ends up costing the exhibitor as there are often nice goodies to buy on the trade stands!!

Often the exhibitors miss out financially due to not being able to work at that weekend, those who are self employed especially so.

One final point, if the exhibitors did expect to be get paid, it'd be at least at 'living wage' rates surely. This would result in your admittance fee reaching London West end show prices (and I don't mean the cheap seats!!!). 

Finally, the guys at Spalding Show will be hoping / praying the show will just about break even ( as with every club show across the land) .

That's about it, it's done for fun basically

Hope that the info gives you a better insight into the whys / wherefores

Cheers

Ken G

Hull MRS. 

As someone who exhibits my own / friends / club layouts at least 6/7 times a year, I feel Someone needs to point out a few facts from an invited  Exhibitors POV. 

If you get invited to a show with your layout, you get paid your travel expenses, and if it's a long distance, you get put up in a comfortable ( hopefully!!) B&B / hotel.  Teas and coffee are provided during the show is provided, as is a basic lunch.

Errm, and that's it.. no appearance fees, No 5 star digs, No free slap meals paid for by the Show organiser, they are on a tight budget anyhow, and all exhibitors know that.

In my own experience, doing a show usually ends up costing the exhibitor as there are often nice goodies to buy on the trade stands!!

Often the exhibitors miss out financially due to not being able to work at that weekend, those who are self employed especially so.

One final point, if the exhibitors did expect to be get paid, it'd be at least at 'living wage' rates surely. This would result in your admittance fee reaching London West end show prices (and I don't mean the cheap seats!!!). 

Finally, the guys at Spalding Show will be hoping / praying the show will just about break even ( as with every club show across the land) .

Cheers

Ken G

Hull MRS. 

Hi Ken

Very well put - this is what it is really like - I also never claim anything if run in aid of charity. I have asked for travel expenses, then during the show you realise that due to low attendance the show is border line, I then say - no expenses needed! I have just finished my outings for 2017 - 15 exhibitions - no claims put in for '6'.

Kelvin B

• Like 1

Cheers

Ken G

Hull MRS.

A show puts a club in the spotlight and provides an opportunity for the community local and otherwise to see what the past time can offer. Exhibitors are looked after because they have expended a lot of their hard earned cash in producing an exhibition quality layout and give of their time.

Must agree with Ken and Kelvin about being "paid" for exhibiting, as someone who has been part of an operating team at many exhibitions many over 150 miles from home. Who is Mr marms and has he exhibited????????

Anyway, I visited the Show on Sunday and we were let in 15 minutes early as it was so cold. Not quite as crowded as last year on the Sunday and the aisles did appear wider, whether that was because it was less busy or there were no double width baby buggies blocking the aisles as there were last year.

A good selection of layouts. I do wonder if those 0 gauge layouts with sound have to have it turned up so loud. I'm glad I wasn't a stall holder opposite or another exhibitor nearby. The star of the show for me was St. Merryn. I've often said that P4 layouts whilst looking beautiful don't run too well (I think of Sidmouth at Stevenage earlier this year) but St M ran brilliantly (no sound also a plus). I do find it odd that at a model RAILWAY show a layout which is basically a large simple oval can win layout of the show, however good the buildings are when you have a layout like St Merryn which runs brilliantly in excellently built surroundings with proper railway operations. All this from a simple 00 modeller. However each to his own.

As a general point about the Spalding show (I have been going from the days they just used the large Hall, this must be my 14 -15th visit) that it has out grown itself.

I certainly don't agree with putting the prices up, but perhaps they could cut out the Oldies option ( I am 70) we (I) would have to pay £1-00 more but judging by the average age of many of the punters the club would probably gain by about a £1,000-00 .I've noticed that other clubs seem to be going down this route.

I was getting a 4G signal all over the site, I went on line in Hall 2 at one point to check the Ultrascale catalogue. That said it wouldn't be too much of an effort to set up a public wi-fi although it would cost money.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A big thank you to the Spalding Club from the Hinksey Yard team for making us very welcome and looking after us so well during the weekend. We had an enjoyable time and, from some of the comments we got from visitors, were appreciated. Lots of great layouts there and we had problems decided who to vote for as best layout.

We are a little unusual in that, if we spot a responsible looking young person watching intently or asking sensible questions, then they will often get a chance to drive some trains (with their responsible adult's permission). They are generally very careful and respond well to instructions. One dad even brought his second son back on Sunday to have a go. Hopefully they will go home encouraged and get more into the hobby.

Again, from out perspective, behind a layout, a good, busy and well organised show.  Many thanks.

Cheers,

Dave