Quarter Round - CBC Challenge

idd15

Well it's head above the parapet time as this will be my first attempt of doing a little bit on this forum!  

Without doubt my future dream layout will have a roundhouse to stable a humungous collection of eclectic locomotives, and of course one of those whizzy dcc controlled turntables to get them onto the four track mainline.  Anyway back in reality I've been doing a bit of research and came across again Paul Lunn's design for a micro St Blazey in his excellent book on micro layouts.  I've always fancied having a go at this as a stepping stone towards the aforementioned "layout of a lifetime".  But even as a micro its more than twice the size of a cake box! 

post-1341-0-97022600-1508086195_thumb.jpg

It then occurred to me as we are supposed to be building a diorama you don't have to have the whole turntable, and while we are at it what if the shed itself is low relief?  A little bit of prototype planning and playing with my smaller loco's showed that this might actually work!

post-1341-0-26191900-1508086581_thumb.jpg

post-1341-0-44517100-1508086659_thumb.jpg

So that's the idea.  Now I just have to build it!

• Like 14

Nice idea, one of the lessons it took me a while to learn, is that you can't get much into the box, so have to compromise. The use of low relief buildings still gives the right atmosphere, looks an interesting project that will also be useful to photograph loco's on.

Peter

Peter and Jeff thanks for your comments and encouragement. 

I think your quite right that this little project could have a very useful life after the CBC has ended, even more so if I can make the doors operational!  I do remember building the Airfix engine shed as a kid and it had doors that opened, but I was planning to use a download and print card kit to keep costs down.  Mind you with a bit of thin brass strip and wire I might be able to knock up some pin hinges.  Watch this space! 

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Well it's head above the parapet time as this will be my first attempt of doing a little bit on this forum!  

Without doubt my future dream layout will have a roundhouse to stable a humungous collection of eclectic locomotives, and of course one of those whizzy dcc controlled turntables to get them onto the four track mainline.  Anyway back in reality I've been doing a bit of research and came across again Paul Lunn's design for a micro St Blazey in his excellent book on micro layouts.  I've always fancied having a go at this as a stepping stone towards the aforementioned "layout of a lifetime".  But even as a micro its more than twice the size of a cake box! 

attachicon.gifIMG_20171015_111625.jpg

It then occurred to me as we are supposed to be building a diorama you don't have to have the whole turntable, and while we are at it what if the shed itself is low relief?  A little bit of prototype planning and playing with my smaller loco's showed that this might actually work!

attachicon.gifIMG_20171015_110637.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171015_111034.jpg

So that's the idea.  Now I just have to build it!

Hi idd15, Looks like a great interpretation, love your thinking and look forward to seeing the end result.  Best wishes Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress this past week on Quarter Round and we now have a baseboard with a well for the turntable (sector plate) and a 3mm bolt for the pivot.  I decided to make cut outs in the 6mm ply and foam board sandwich now as I suspect I might want to add lights and other gubbins later in the build.  Well you know how these things just evolve!

post-1341-0-72871900-1509225737_thumb.jpg

I did a little experiment and found that  my Dremel fretsaw can cut a laminated foam board sandwich very cleanly so that made cutting out the well a doddle.

post-1341-0-54357200-1509225797_thumb.jpg 

Of course a little looksee to finish! :)

post-1341-0-06460300-1509225856_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Next step I think is to build the turntable as it provides the "focal point" for the three sidings (or should they be called roads?) and it will help getting the alignment right.  I've also been having second thoughts about the shed and want a bit more time to think it through.  Strange how a diorama just eight inches square can absorb so much thinking time!  :O

Cheers

idd

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well I must apologise for not getting much done on my CB challenge but having started a new job (almost a new career!), levelling part of the garden for a new garden railway in 2018 (yay!), and taking time out to visit the IPMS show at Telford (stunning levels of modelling!), there has not been a lot of free time.  But we have made a bit of progress and I'm cutting and laying track at the moment.

The turntable armature is effectively done and now needs cladding with thin card to finish it off.  I used hard balsa as the core and bushed the pivot hole with some ali tube.  I also had the bright idea (for me!) of using a 3mm nut on the top surface so that it effectively screws into place and height adjustment is simply a question of adding or removing a turn or two.  It also has the added benefit that it won't fall off when I have senior moment when moving the diorama about!

post-1341-0-51206100-1511122205_thumb.jpg

I've also made a decision that the roundhouse is going to be just two stalls.  Few reasons not least of which is that it did seem a bit boring:

"wots yours then?" you may ask.

"a shed, a second shed, and err a third shed"

So the cunning plan at the moment is to use the third road for an ash pit and a water crane to add a bit more visual interest.

post-1341-0-57878400-1511122178_thumb.jpg

Keep bimbling on! (KBO!)

idd

• Like 6

I'm going to have handrails/guardrails on my 'box, to achieve this I'm going to use copper or brass wire, make a jig on a batten with some panel pins and "neatly" solder it all up.  A spot of primer, bauxite and a drybrushed topcoat of white should make a convincingly rusty bit of steel railing!

Glue the assembly into suitably drilled holes and jobs a good'un.

Perhaps a bit of bending too, where something went wrong....

• Like 1

OK peeps I have a question for you. I need some handrails for the turntable deck, any ideas where I might get some? Searched around the stalls at Telford but couldn't find anything to suit.

MTIA

idd

Check out model boat suppliers for appropriately sized stanchions, you can usually find something to suit.

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=17125&gclid=Cj0KCQiAl8rQBRDrARIsAEW_To8IcEfq00NqnwMJ8zIo8tLtQaB870Y3vJBWLDxenwOjANxTJkUpJC0aAvMMEALw_wcB

Peter

Edited by peter220950