• RMweb Gold

So have added some greenery to the scene, there is one thing about canals, weeds, grass and plants grow everywhere.

post-25708-0-94351200-1509449546_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-31346500-1509449564_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-91011900-1509449588_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-78547700-1509449609_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-49743500-1509449643_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-50628600-1509449657_thumb.jpeg

Next up need to build the canal boat.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Will you actually have enough space to fit in a working boat? I believe that a number of the real ones were around 70 feet long.

Whatever the score, your build is looking amazing.

Huw.

Agreed re the 70 foot however..

Birmingham Canal Navigation Tugs were about 35 / 40 foot long. If you type BCN Tugs into google images. It does rather commit you to Birmingham and the Black Country however.

Andy

Andy

• RMweb Gold

As there doesn't appear to be any problem with the water flowing out of the open ends of the canal, I'm sure half or a third of a narrow boat would be able to float without any hint of sinking, irrespective of how heavy it's loaded.

• RMweb Gold

Will you actually have enough space to fit in a working boat? I believe that a number of the real ones were around 70 feet long.

Whatever the score, your build is looking amazing.

Huw.

Agreed re the 70 foot however..Birmingham Canal Navigation Tugs were about 35 / 40 foot long. If you type BCN Tugs into google images. It does rather commit you to Birmingham and the Black Country however.AndyAndy

Hi, Andy / Huw. Will only be modelling the front of the canal boat coming out from under the bridge, if it doesn’t look right though will drop the idea. Thanks for your comments.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

Great use of the Scalescenes mill!

attachicon.gifT026c_Gallery06R.jpg

For those that have questioned the height.

It really is fantastic, can't wait to see it with that canal bridge finished!

Cheers

Ian

( In pedant mode! ) ... To stay within the "regulation" height of 200mm the MDF base needs to be 12mm thick max.... Since it is painted to represent the canal water, it would be construed as part of the model..and fall foul of scrutineering if thicker... ( pedant mode off! )

Your canal boat would seem to be ('Oss-)horse-drawn in your earlier picture, "Tug" implies motorised, I would refer to it as a "Barge" (more pedantry!

Good luck with your excellent entry.

Wow !

What more can you say ? , from the beautifully painted figures to the worn and weathered cobblestones it just drips atmosphere.

If I can criticize one thing , might it have been better to have the building and loading dock butting up against the bridge just to give the illusion of there being more of a corner ?

• RMweb Gold

Wow !

What more can you say ? , from the beautifully painted figures to the worn and weathered cobblestones it just drips atmosphere.

If I can criticize one thing , might it have been better to have the building and loading dock butting up against the bridge just to give the illusion of there being more of a corner ?

Thank you. Yeah I think your right about the building , sometimes you can be to close to a project to see the obvious. Oh well.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Premium

( In pedant mode! ) ... To stay within the "regulation" height of 200mm the MDF base needs to be 12mm thick max.... Since it is painted to represent the canal water, it would be construed as part of the model..and fall foul of scrutineering if thicker... ( pedant mode off! )

Your canal boat would seem to be ('Oss-)horse-drawn in your earlier picture, "Tug" implies motorised, I would refer to it as a "Barge" (more pedantry!

Good luck with your excellent entry.

I'll match and raise your pedantry. Barges are in excess of 15 foot beam (width). Smaller, like the tug are narrow boats. I don't think you would fit a barge on that strip of cut.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

A pedantic question: shouldn't the horse be attached to a loop on the solebar, then it wouldn't need to walk in the four foot?

Yes you are right Geoff it should really be attached to a loop on the solebar, although I have seen photos of it done the other way. And for the photo it was simpler to just attach it to the hook.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03

• RMweb Gold

I recognise the Andrew Stadden figures but who makes the guy with the 'Oss'Andy

Hi Andy, the figure is from Dart Castings, monty’s models range. (MSV33: Worker).

Regards Paul.

Beautiful. One thing it needs is a protective iron strip on the corner of the bridge on the tow path side. This protects the masonry from being damaged by the tow ropes of horse drawn boats. The ropes were made of cotton, but even so the iron gets worn away over the years as you can see on the grooves in this picture.

Mim