British Rail Marina/Ital vans.

ahardy

I wonder if the collective can help me. L

I'm after any photos, publicity material or any other info on British Rail Morris Marina or Ital vans. Does anyone have anything they would be willing to share?

I have been scouring the internet for images but have only turned up a handful. Any more would be grateful appreciated, even if they are just in the background.

Many thanks

Andy H

I wonder if the collective can help me. L

I'm after any photos, publicity material or any other info on British Rail Morris Marina or Ital vans. Does anyone have anything they would be willing to share?

I have been scouring the internet for images but have only turned up a handful. Any more would be grateful appreciated, even if they are just in the background.

Many thanks

Andy H

post-1625-0-27478400-1508282012_thumb.jpg

One from my collection, I may have others but will need scaning.

• Like 4

Nice picture ( I didn't want to press like for some reason*)

Somehow the relative condition of the Ital and the Astravan next to it sums up my feelings on both vehicles!!

* I suffered having an Ital way back when!

• 2 weeks later...

I think RussP on here actually owns one. You might want to PM him in case he misses this topic.

Russ P is a maestro, a repro but a very nice one! I had a maestro van when I was younger, it did 236,000 miles, 2 engines, three gearboxes, endless front hub bearings, I finally part ex it for an astra, it was rotten, the dealer was less than grateful. The only interest is that it was black from the factory, and it may have been earmarked for the freelander development program but never used, as the reg number was in the right series, or of course, it may not have been!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 18/10/2017 at 07:14, Merfyn Jones said:

post-1625-0-27478400-1508282012_thumb.jpg

One from my collection, I may have others but will need scaning.

Not really relevant to the thread, but does anyone have any idea why a UK registered, RHD Ital is wearing LHD windscreen wipers?

1 hour ago, PatB said:

Not really relevant to the thread, but does anyone have any idea why a UK registered, RHD Ital is wearing LHD windscreen wipers?

Probably ran out of RHD wipers during build so just stuck LHD on to get it out the door...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Probably ran out of RHD wipers during build so just stuck LHD on to get it out the door...

Nothing like as cynical as it might sound, 20 years in automotive manufacture taught me very early on that the most important measure was maintaining productivity, warranty would sort the rest out.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2017 at 08:55, colin penfold said:

I think RussP on here actually owns one. You might want to PM him in case he misses this topic.

Mines actually a maestro,  off the road at present as fuel tank is leaking and can't be welded so  looking to have it resin coated,  

A really useful vehicle 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2019 at 06:22, Titan said:

My Dad's X registered Estate also had LHD wipers. I don't mean to sound ungrateful as I'd just passed my test but it was probably the worst car I've ever driven...

On 18/07/2019 at 05:12, PatB said:

They're not LHD wipers, that was the standard way round for all but the earliest Marinas and LHD cars had them set the other way. Apparently it was discovered that the driver's wiper could lift off the screen at speed, so in a typical BL solution instead of fixing the problem they just turned them round so the wiper that lifted was now on the passenger side where it didn't matter! Of course that put the large unswept area on the driver's side so it wasn't a great solution.

I've never seen a high-top Marina or Ital either so I suspect that was an aftermarket conversion.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2