Parsons Vale Carriage sidings - 00 BR Blue layout now Sold

Looks good.... but haw can you test a steam heating van, without steam heat pipes???

LOL, just the running qualities tested today, for the first time in 20 years I appear to have no spare buffer beam pipes in the spares box so will have to wait for another day..

• Like 1

We ventured round to my Mum and Dad's on Saturday and to the amusement of my wife and Kids, my parents had the family photo albums out. My Dad is a steam enthusiast so there are quite a few train pictures in the albums, including some from the steam trains that ran on the Portishead line as part of the GWR 150 in 1985. In the album I managed to find this shot of Parson Street with Malago Vale visible in the background (and yours truly as a 7 year old in the foreground). Sadly there weren't any better photos of the carriage sidings themselves.

post-7400-0-23198500-1547450569_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rob, just got to work out how to make washing lines and clothes now for a few of the houses at the back.

And perhaps a fearsome looking lady carriage cleaner or two?

Nice work so far.

cheers

• Like 1

And perhaps a fearsome looking lady carriage cleaner or two?

Nice work so far.

cheers

Indeed, I have read they were "legendary", to be fair you would need to be a pretty fearsome lady to walk around that part of Bedminster at night. Apparently one of the person's involved in the Brinks Matt gold robbery had premises on west street near to the footbridge on the right of the layout....

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Great looking layout, I'd not see this thread before. When I first moved to Bristol I lived in Mansfield St., just over from Parson Street Station, so this neck of the woods is very dear to my heart.

Thanks, Mansfield street is very close indeed, I used to go into the chippy (was called Evelyn's but now sadly closed and converted to a house) at the end of the road to buy lunch occasionally when I worked in Parson Street. The gardens at the front of the layout would in reality be from the houses of Hall Street which I recall looped round into Mansfield street.

Edited by 37114

• RMweb Gold

Was it Evelyn's when you went there? Ask for a 'small chips' and still be there several minutes later watching scoopful after scoopful being heaped on the pile....

I know Hall Street, I lost my car for a week and found it in Hall Street, where I'd forgotten I'd parked it.

Happy days.

• Like 3

On 27/01/2019 at 16:07, 37114 said:

Indeed, I have read they were "legendary", to be fair you would need to be a pretty fearsome lady to walk around that part of Bedminster at night. Apparently one of the person's involved in the Brinks Matt gold robbery had premises on west street near to the footbridge on the right of the layout....

Yes I used to walk past that oblivious to the fact when I lived in Bedminster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never encountered any of the Malago carriage cleaning ladies, but the ones we had at Canton were definitely a very tough bunch, and some of the hardest working people I ever saw; but mostly if you saw one coming you got out of the way.  The only thing they got out of the way for was the shed cats. thugs to a man with violence in their hearts and larceny in their very souls.  They were railway employees, the cats I mean, on the books with a budget for food and vets bills, as vermin control; the only thing that frightened a Canton shed rat was a Canton shed cat.  

I expect most big sheds were like this.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

35 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Was it Evelyn's when you went there? Ask for a 'small chips' and still be there several minutes later watching scoopful after scoopful being heaped on the pile....

I know Hall Street, I lost my car for a week and found it in Hall Street, where I'd forgotten I'd parked it.

Happy days.

Yes pretty sure it was Evelyns, was around 1996/7

17 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Yes I used to walk past that oblivious to the fact when I lived in Bedminster.

Indeed, I think a few of us did although I saw a BBC documentary in the early 90's that outed that fact. 

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Never encountered any of the Malago carriage cleaning ladies, but the ones we had at Canton were definitely a very tough bunch, and some of the hardest working people I ever saw; but mostly if you saw one coming you got out of the way.  The only thing they got out of the way for was the shed cats. thugs to a man with violence in their hearts and larceny in their very souls.  They were railway employees, the cats I mean, on the books with a budget for food and vets bills, as vermin control; the only thing that frightened a Canton shed rat was a Canton shed cat.  

I expect most big sheds were like this.

I found some suitably robust looking female figures in the bottom of the spares box this morning so they will appear. My daughter wants to add some cats, I can't for the life of me think who makes them but I know you can get them I had 6 on Pallet Lane.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Corbs said:

Thanks Corbs, will probably go for the Langley ones as I could do with a couple of other bits from them.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of my modelling over the last few weeks has been on my Southern Pride XP64 coach but I now need to make progress quicker than planned, more of which anon.

The gardens at the front have had further work, the garden with the pond having the grass finished, I plan to put a flower bed down the right hand side fence hence the masking tape in one picture and lose scatter in the other:

DSCN3320.JPG.1faa26e6c86f158844b4e83ca1559f2d.JPGDSCN3322.JPG.183db89fdda6b5a6a05c4e03b442d942.JPG

The house next door had a garden shed but nothing else. The positioning of the shed wasn't ideal, and could have done with being closer to the fence but the flip side was I had an area around the back for junk storage, the assumption being this was the home of a local builder (perhaps the one doing the job 2 doors up?). As with some terrace houses it is modelled with an access path across the gardens to allow access for the bin men etc, the shed being just the right distance from the front of the layout for the path to pass in front. I have added some garden tools and ladders which have come from the spares box and included a cat climbing on the rubbish bin.

DSCN3319.JPG.db7db1c1ab68c059f778de2be59099d6.JPG

The other development of note is the exhibition debut of the layout maybe earlier than previously planned. At the back of my mind I was slightly nervous about such a large and well attended show as Trainwest being the layouts first show as although close to home it is a very busy 2 day show. Although at an embryonic planning stage, there will potentially be a one day show later this year which will be a quieter and enable a proper test run to be undertaken but means I need to have the layout finished by November - eek! 

Edited by 37114
spelling
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:38, 37114 said:

Over the last few times I have been working on the layout my daughter has shown a bit of interest in the layout and has recently been helping out with a few jobs as she is quite into art. She has helped with the bike shed which fills a nice bit of otherwise dead space:

DSCN3277.JPG.b2f7c3cdda89030b4ddca400897904ea.JPG

Another little feature is a pond in the corner of one of the gardens at the front of the layout. It is not as deep as I would like but the plaster coating isn't that thick before I hit the baseboard:

DSCN3278.JPG.615eacebe71764d188d1af80dadc1c7e.JPG

And a couple of views of the whole layout. I am pressing on with the scenery but will hold off adding some of the smaller details until after the point motors are in and the final wiring done. Although it has been test run there is still a fair bit to do underneath and the fiddle yard cassettes are yet to be made before testing starts in ernest.

DSCN3279.JPG.2f88b3ad1a61bd94af5e1644f9d4c85d.JPG

DSCN3280.JPG.c5e3915b7b8442799059c1a808bbc3d7.JPG

So much "detailing" here!!

had realy good catch up here now,great modelling...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...