Parsons Vale Carriage sidings - 00 BR Blue layout now Sold

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Thanks Martyn, I am glad I made the effort with the baseboard to create the embankment. The Airfix kit is a great match for the houses over the road.

Rob, istr a while back you saying you were using Airfix/Dapol kits, but to be honest I thought you must have scratchbuilt new ones, I totally missed they are the same kits. Fantastic job!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Rob, istr a while back you saying you were using Airfix/Dapol kits, but to be honest I thought you must have scratchbuilt new ones, I totally missed they are the same kits. Fantastic job!

Thanks Martyn,  I have added new downpipes and the lower section below the damp proof course but other than the pebble dash they are unmodified. 

Edited by 37114
Spelling
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I love that prefab staff building. Was it scratch built?

I wish I could say yes but it is an out of the box Bachmann scenecraft but with some minor weathering and some downpipes and roofing felt added.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After a bit of help from those in the know please, in the photo below there is a pipe in the centre of the track that the class 50 is on, does anyone know whether this is for steam heating or is some sort of vacuum supply for brake testing?

50028 with lab coaches 3 and 4 and the APT-POP vehicle at Malago Vale 12.07.1976s

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

After a bit of help from those in the know please, in the photo below there is a pipe in the centre of the track that the class 50 is on, does anyone know whether this is for steam heating or is some sort of vacuum supply for brake testing?

50028 with lab coaches 3 and 4 and the APT-POP vehicle at Malago Vale 12.07.1976s

I didn't know BR used Dapol track cleaners, weren't class 50 pick ups very good?

Hat........coat......................gone!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mullie said:

I didn't know BR used Dapol track cleaners

You weren’t alone with that thought!

Paul.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mullie said:

I didn't know BR used Dapol track cleaners, weren't class 50 pick ups very good?

Hat........coat......................gone!

Ha ha, I had forgotten about those, maybe a good starting point for a POP train...

I have added a few more details today, firstly the ground cover near the lighting tower but also some general clutter, based on some of the photos on page 4 and 5 of this thread.

thumbnail_20190818_163246.jpg.530ae161e0713f12e386ddab048ba1eb.jpg

At the other end I added the ETH cables and heads, it was difficult to get a clear photo of these but found the Aberdeen Kirkhill thread good reference material as well, I am really pleased how these turned out although the heads need some final weathering. I need to find some thin wire to represent the hoses from the taps to finish off this element of the detailing.

thumbnail_20190818_163241.jpg.4d4353026712690d6ab5b6952272a4cc.jpg

• Like 15

Good to see you've used loco hauled ETH control boxes and not HST ones!

Glenn may have a better photo from which I worked from back in 2009 but the following photo from Bob Reid shows a control box on the left hand side. Pretty much like you've modelled, whether they were grey or yellow on the Western Region I have no idea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flood said:

Good to see you've used loco hauled ETH control boxes and not HST ones!

Glenn may have a better photo from which I worked from back in 2009 but the following photo from Bob Reid shows a control box on the left hand side. Pretty much like you've modelled, whether they were grey or yellow on the Western Region I have no idea.

Thanks Flood, it was seeing AK that gave me some of the inspiration to do this. I managed  to  find good photos of the control boxes at Malago vale including some colour ones so I know the colour is right on these thankfully. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alan has been doing further testing of the layout as we start to work out an operating sequence. It is fair to say if I didn't have the stock already I would choose an alternative coupling to 3 links as they are somewhat of  a challenge when coupling up locos to gangway stock and virtually impossible coupling 2 gangway fitted coaches together. Most splitting of rakes will be of parcel stock such as CCT's and GUV's which are easier to uncouple and couple.

The second of the 2 photos below is taken from what I think as the classic viewpoint for Malago Vale, from the A38 Parson Street bridge. My plan for the layout was always that anyone from the area could recognise the inspiration and so far it feels like I am heading in the right direction

thumbnail_20190829_213717.jpg.2b810ed949654920a7e8d46268c166dd.jpgthumbnail_20190829_213807.jpg.4a181b856b4a081a88a7e29ba611c1f7.jpg

On the scenic side Dave has been doing some work on bushes for the embankment while I have been making washing lines. These use 0.45mm wire for the uprights, thin brass strip to make a horizontal bar at the top and then the wire stripped out of freezer tags for the cross wires. I also made some sheets hung out to dry from plain white paper. They got the "Wife and children" cool seal of approval so am happy with how they turned out.

thumbnail_20190831_192530.jpg.73109989996a6eb691234659c7ea0c06.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

6 minutes ago, andy stroud said:

Hi Rob. Have you considered depicting an item of coaching stock with its end door open or partially slide open in the corridor connection. ? Quite common in carriage sidings I think.

Hi Andy, good idea I haven't thought of that one specifically but will add it to the list to do. I was going to do a guards door on one of the BG's at some point. Now that the XP64 SK is nearly finished the plan is to focus on finishing the layout ready for Trainwest before embarking on anymore stock projects at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

Excellent work!

Hope to see the layout soon Rob.

Thanks Richard, not sure if you are planning to do Trainwest next year but that will be the closest to you that is in the diary at the moment. Dave Nelhams has had both previous layouts at his shows so that maybe a potential for the future which maybe closer to you?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

It's all looking really good Rob, a lot of small details but no silly cameos etc, excellent workmanship.

Thanks Andrew, that was the objective. There is however one... ahem.. "Adult cameo" which can only be seen by those of at least 5ft tall.

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Rob,

I like very much how this has come along, having followed right from the start. Sorry if I missed it but can I ask what are the dimensions are please?

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Wayne, it is just under 5ft by 18inches. Thanks 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 37114 said:

Thanks Richard, not sure if you are planning to do Trainwest next year but that will be the closest to you that is in the diary at the moment. Dave Nelhams has had both previous layouts at his shows so that maybe a potential for the future which maybe closer to you?

Rob we will probably come over to Trainwest as worth the journey as usually a very good show. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while but made some progress on the last few bits to finish the layout courtesy of a stop via Model Railways Direct on the way back from a weeks holiday in Devon; the fiddle yard cassettes have been made and track laid. I have made 3 different length, effectively they are 1 loco or 1, 2 or 3 carriages long.I just need to solder the rail joiners to one end, I use code 100 rail joiners soldered to the cassette which then provide both track power and alignment with the layout. I claim no originality for the idea which I plagiarised from one of George Woodcocks layouts but it worked perfectly on Peafore Yard so see no reason to change:

thumbnail_20191101_164144.jpg.d1cce8278d70a058eb8f9435e6ed4fbf.jpg

Talking of Peafore Yard, I have decided that my next layout will be a smaller 7mm version of Peafore Yard. 3 Links are a struggle for me now in 4mm and I am not prepared to compromise and go back to tension locks or Kadee's etc. Link to the build here:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 508EMU said:

Very nice layout, giving me some inspiration! Is the little depot office a kit or scratchbuilt?

Thanks,  It is a Bachmann scenecraft item, pretty much out of the box save for some down pipes, extra weathering and interior (complete with sink, mixer tap and fairy liquid bottle!)

• Like 2