Parsons Vale Carriage sidings - 00 BR Blue layout now Sold

I have made some recent progress with the layout albeit at a snails pace due to other commitments. A start has been made on the wiring with the switches installed in the control panel. The layout will be wired for cab control so that 2 trains can be moved at once although this does add in it's own complications it will make exhibiting at shows easier when there are 2 of us as well as certain shunting moves will be more straightforward.

attachicon.gifDSCN2833.JPG

I have also added the dropper wires for most of the layout but have run out of wire so have ground to a halt there.

Further work has been done on the scenery, I have sanded the original layer of polyfilla and then added a second layer, particularly to the gardens at the front of the layout as the change of gradient was rather pronounce and left the gardens with an unnaturally flat surface. The cliche bus on the bridge is finished now as well.

attachicon.gifDSCN2837.JPG

Good to see it all working again!

Good to see it all working again!

Thanks, I am just doing bits and pieces, the main focus this year is finishing the Land Rover, next year will see a lot more work on the layout, especially if Geoff wants it for Calne 2020...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, good to see progress on Parsons Vale again. I particularly like the destination boxes on the Atlantean, no blinds but with the bulbs showing. Less keen on the bus itself, although it would be easy to assume every bus in Bristol belonged to "the Tramways" so a reminder that that was not so is appropriate.  

Rob, good to see progress on Parsons Vale again. I particularly like the destination boxes on the Atlantean, no blinds but with the bulbs showing. Less keen on the bus itself, although it would be easy to assume every bus in Bristol belonged to "the Tramways" so a reminder that that was not so is appropriate.  

Thanks Adrian, I probably will at some point build a VR but they would have been the 2 door variant with centre staircase which is quite a hatchet/respray job and will have to wait until the layout is finished. Aesthetically I always preferred the bustle fitted Atlantean and Fleetline and I regularly saw HHF15 on my way to school so always had more affinity to it than the VR. It always stood out as at the time (early 90's) it was pretty rare to see any decker other than Badgerline/Cityline fleet in South Bristol

A few lines deleted . . .

At the front will be a Seddon Atkinson lorry from local container haulier George Taylor whose yard was about 200 yards from Parson Street station. I built the model in the picture when I worked for them over 20 years ago but never got round to making a trailer and container. The model is a bit new being a 401 model, rather than the earlier 400 and also is a day cab rather than a sleeper so I may swap the bus and lorry around. Here is what I am planning to build as a trailer/container combination (despite appearances the lighting in the garage makes the model appear brighter than the pic:

attachicon.gifA03906p.JPG

I seem to remember that when someone from the Taylor family got married, a few lorries were positioned to form an arch and the picture was shared in one of the local South Bristol "rags"

Regards,

Edited by steaming_chris

I seem to remember that when someone from the Taylor family got married, a few lorries were positioned to form an arch and the picture was shared in one of the local South Bristol "rags"

Regards,

Aah, I never heard that one Chris, must have been a good 30 years ago or so I presume?

The first train ran last night as I have now soldered up the droppers, 08950 did the honours

• Like 2

The loco fleet has been having a bit of a change around of late with some of the Peafore Yard stalwarts venturing on to ebay, with 03121, 03382, 24081 and 40135 currently up for sale to make way for the recent class 31 and 50 additions. I will be sad to see those 4 go but the SLW class 24 in particular is just not suited to the new layout.

I was hoping that the class 50 would be straightforward renumber and weather but not being a huge fan of the class, it wasn't until I read the "Trethosa" thread that I realised how much work the Hornby class 50 needs, particularly the roof and cab windscreens. I have ordered the bits but the loco will be on the backburner for a few weeks

The other new addition is this collection of class 30 and 31 parts. The plan is simple. Strip out the Lima Motor bogies (done), detail and respray the body, convert to a class 31 , replace with the Hornby 31 mechanism, bin or sell what is left:

post-7400-0-21137600-1520191203_thumb.jpg

This is what is kept from the Hornby 31:

post-7400-0-08427900-1520191378_thumb.jpg

This example of the Hornby block is the worst I have seen and disintegrated on removing the motor:

post-7400-0-66332900-1520191452_thumb.jpg

The Lima battery boxes are removed and replaced with the Hornby moulding which is a better job:

post-7400-0-05206300-1520191505_thumb.jpg

The next task is to cut some holes in the chassis for the original non motored end which I will do this week

Edited by 37114
  • Like 3

Woke up early this morning so have been making some more progress on the class 31. Before I go too far on the body, I wanted to get the chassis up and running. The non motor bogie end from the Lima chassis needed chopping out for the bogie gear tower. I am reusing the cab interiors from the Hornby model which means some modification to the chassis, which was strengthened with some plasticard:

post-7400-0-85818900-1520708243_thumb.jpg

A mounting bracket was made to enable the bogie to be fixed to the Lima chassis. The white plasticard bearer is fixed under the chassis but is not visible when the body is in place. The positioning needs to be accurate as the Lima Chassis is slightly shorter by 1mm than the Hornby one and clearance is tight anyway.

post-7400-0-16371100-1520708465_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-59163900-1520708485_thumb.jpg

The chassis is obviously much lighter than the old Hornby one so the underframe tanks were rammed with lead to give the model some much needed weight:

post-7400-0-61813300-1520708575_thumb.jpg

The lead was covered over with plasticard and the motor temporarily put in place. I ended up securing this with adhesive backed velcro which is strong enough to secure the motor but enables it to be removed for servicing if required.

post-7400-0-09547400-1520708679_thumb.jpg

I soldered the wires up as I don't have DCC and most of my other fleet is not fitted with lights so it keeps the wiring simpler. To test it all works I gave it a run on the layout which is still to be fully wired. The bodyshell is in early stages of having the work done, with the roof grille and radiator grille removed ready for replacement with etched versions.

post-7400-0-58913600-1520708751_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Tim, that is a great picture. The wagon full of gas bottles is interesting, I presume due to lack of road access they arrived on the wagon like that. Can anybody ID the carriage between the skip wagon and the Lowfit, is it some sort of steam heat generator van please?

Thanks Tim, that is a great picture. The wagon full of gas bottles is interesting, I presume due to lack of road access they arrived on the wagon like that. Can anybody ID the carriage between the skip wagon and the Lowfit, is it some sort of steam heat generator van please?

I wondered about that, it looks to have soot marks on the roof.

Is it a horse box conversion, or similar to ADS 70185 and ADS 70188 Southern conversions?

cheers

Is it a horse box conversion, or similar to ADS 70185 and ADS 70188 Southern conversions?

cheers

Certainly looks like a Mk.1(?) Carriage Pre- Heating vehicle I agree. There is a good photo of one in the Larkin book on General Parcels Stock. Istr they were shorter than the horse box (at least, the one I'm thinking of).

Is the Weltrol a conversion for tunnel or viaduct inspection I wonder?

Great photo of the period though!

Edit - I see the Weltrol is noted as a skip wagon, missed that bit! But those gas bottles - would they be from Mk.1 Restaurant cars?

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

Certainly looks like a Mk.1(?) Carriage Pre- Heating vehicle I agree. There is a good photo of one in the Larkin book on General Parcels Stock. Istr they were shorter than the horse box (at least, the one I'm thinking of).

Edit - I see the Weltrol is noted as a skip wagon, missed that bit! But those gas bottles - would they be from Mk.1 Restaurant cars?

The 'skip wagon' was used to take the waste from carriage cleaning to Kingsland Road, there being no proper road access at Malago.,

post-7081-0-86474200-1520783989.jpg

Seen here at Kingsland Road, it was known locally as the 'muck truck'

cheers

• Like 1

cheers

I think you are right Kevin, I think it might even be ADS 70185, looking at this photo the rust marks on the end are the same:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/70185

Should be an interesting kit bash and I have some spare MK1 bits in the box to get the profile right as well.

The skip wagon model is on hand already (since weathered), there were 2 so another is planned:

post-7400-0-65099600-1520798327_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Brilliant, Thanks Tim, those really help with some of the detail. The building in the first picture to the left of the water tower will be on the to-do list to hide the control panel on the layout (which is proving to be a bit of a headache). I also like the look of the upper half of the signal box which would make a nice challenge.

Hi Rob,

Having been a great admirer of your other layouts but only having joined RM Web more recently, it's been great to find this thread and be able to see the progress from the start - liking how it's coming together so far and looking forward to more progress!

Cheers, Chris

Looking good rob !

How did you get on with the new bullhead ? I’ve got some but I’m not sure how to do it....there are no versions of insulated rail joiners so do you rely on the bonded switch blades and tiny fishplates for continuity ?

I can’t see how I can wire up each siding like I used to with code 100

Hi Rob,

Having been a great admirer of your other layouts but only having joined RM Web more recently, it's been great to find this thread and be able to see the progress from the start - liking how it's coming together so far and looking forward to more progress!

Cheers, Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated, hopefully more progress will be made this weekend.

Looking good rob !

How did you get on with the new bullhead ? I’ve got some but I’m not sure how to do it....there are no versions of insulated rail joiners so do you rely on the bonded switch blades and tiny fishplates for continuity ?

I can’t see how I can wire up each siding like I used to with code 100

Hi Rob

It is ok, you can use the existing code 75 rail insulated rail joiners but on most sidings I have left them off and just rely on the gap in the rail. In terms of soldering the dropers I have had to do it to the side of the rail. The fishplate style little rail joiners are a nightmare to fit.... As I have wired it for cab control most parts of the track are independently fed

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1