micro change of mind

kevo

thanks luke  kind of you to say , its taken  me a a bit of time to replace my british  stock back up i have mainly only done BR  blue  but will dabble  in some more modern stock as well . class 20's are one of my all time favorite  locos . i have two the BR  blue & a railfreight  one post-26535-0-69299300-1541280248.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see some more pics Kevo, the BR blue locos really look good, did you weather them yourself? That's a fine layout you have there, I really like the way you're able to run stock from different eras and countries! Great stuff

Steve.

HI steve  i did weather  the blue 08 my self .   the blue class 20 was already  weathered when i brought it  but i will do some of my own  on it soon as i get another air brush as mine has had it . the railfreight  class 20 is scott  pro weathered  loco . i really like his work . THE WEATHERING WORKS . i normally like weathering my own stock  but as i am just building up my loco stock again  i could not resist one of scotts  locos .

HI luke  i am a bit of a rubber gauge 'r  i think  .  so building  some think to run different  types of stock from other places around the world  works for me . i might run BR blue  for a few nmonths  then change to USA or   irish   . the only tip i could give is the build ings  and indurstry  if tyou can get that right  you are winning  . the other thing is of course  is that i stick to micro layouts  that way  i only need a small selection of buildings to pull it all off . some of the little things like road signs that can be removeable small out build ings  and road vehicles can all be changed  

yes luke   the amount of different  types of freight by rail has got less . fuel oil petroleum still around  . thats another one that could be modelled  a small depo with tanker unload ing  faculties

There is a thread on here with the concept of a multi era deisel depot which has been very well modelled. Im certainly getting a good think out of trying to work out what would be feasible for me to model in a multi era. An oil facility would be a good idea as well. I wonder to what extent the china clay industry changed from the 1960s to 1990s though I am definitely no expert in the matter.

I think the key is not to have too many buildings, there's a few layouts on here that illustrate that perfectly, one called Drewry Lane and another one called Portwey Wessex Trains, the later being a station that would span a few eras. I've a few ideas but haven't been able to put them into practice yet.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

Luke . if you were think ing of china clay there is a real good micro layout on here TREVANNA DRIES  doint know if you have come across it  it shows some different types of stock early hoods and later ECC wagons . 

Luke . if you were think ing of china clay there is a real good micro layout on here TREVANNA DRIES  doint know if you have come across it  it shows some different types of stock early hoods and later ECC wagons . 

That is a great little layout, the guy that buit it originally is a master of the micro layout, he's built loads and they're all good. 

Steve.

post-24-0-94412900-1541441499_thumb.jpg

I had a liitle go of a micro layout at an exhibition Saturday, called Neptune St Yard and there's a thread on here,  it's about 6ft by 15inches and coud be used in different eras, really simple goods yard which I looks good with short 4 wheel wagons and I think it could be used with air braked stock representing latter years.

Sorry Kevo, I hope I'm not hijacking your post. 

Steve.

I'll have to check that out. A bit of searching has shown up a layout called Canons Lane Scrapyard, amazing operational interest and detail for a layout less than 3ft square! I'm sure that could be adapted for multi era operations. Hope I haven't hijacked your thread!

Seen that at a show, it's a lovely little layout.

Steve.

no problem steve  i doint mind at all  i will be checking out some of those micro layouts you and luke  have said about  its good to see how other people build there's gives me new ideas 

post-26535-0-05931800-1541523385.jpg My railfreight 20 now has tts  sound fitted and is shown here arrive ing  with 2 cement tanks . fitting the decoder was a easy job as i had all ready fitted one in the blue 20 i cut of the speaker wires as it was far to large i used a much slimmer speaker i brought on e bay . the railfreight  20 was not a good runner  so i have done a chassi  swap with the blue 20 post-26535-0-79828900-1541525001.jpg the yard is a bit short of space as the box van and flat wagon are block ing  the gates which lead to the scap  yard  beyond . this view shows class 20 ready to depart post-26535-0-59524800-1541525358.jpg pair of 20  wait to enter the scrap yard sideings  through the gates post-26535-0-54880600-1541525467.jpg

• Like 9

cheers luke  i was tring to get a scrub grass type look  i built the layers up use ing different  mixes of static grasses and random stick on grass tuffs might even add some more bushes later

i have done a bit of tweaking  around this evening the grounded tool van i was never realy pleased with i have replaced with stacks of pallets. i have had to dig out a older pic to con pair views post-26535-0-87490800-1542143713.jpg for a before and after . and replaced the crane with a BR land rover  which needs a good bit of tone ing  down post-26535-0-60433000-1542144533.jpg post-26535-0-37023000-1542144614.jpg post-26535-0-67037400-1542144640.jpg

• Like 2