00 Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0ST Build/Bash

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. When I glue them back together I use poly cement, thankfully the plastic used in the cheap locos from both Hornby and Bachmann seems to be absorbent of the stuff and they weld together well (the GBL models do not and need cyanoacrylate to get them to stick). When they are tacky they can be pushed together to help the bond. I then use green stuff putty applied with the handle of the tweezers like a trowel, sand it, then spray with filler primer to reveal any holes, sand and fill and spray as necessary. 

• RMweb Gold

The glue 'n glaze is drying in the windows and I've re-mounted the cylinders enabling the body to be lower. I like the low, hunkered-down look of it now. It's gained a whistle, still needs a lubricator.

post-898-0-06977100-1509904818_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-53569000-1509904821_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

After a coat of klear, and of matt lacquer, I applied some weathering. Mostly a smoke powder wash, with some dark earth around the smokebox door to give the impression of it being burned.
A lot of people commented on the livery being similar to 16 (a Hunslet Austerity featured in one of the Railway Series stories), so I've numbered it as a homage to that character.

post-898-0-58862200-1510087002_thumb.jpeg
post-898-0-37992900-1510087021_thumb.jpeg

Overall I'm pleased with this, still some bits and bobs to do (motion bracket and lubricator, for example). For a simple bodge of some Junior locos purely to scratch an itch, I think it's turned out well. My biggest gripe is I messed up the cab when I cut it down, if you look at it end-on, the edge of the roof is lower on one side. I should have spotted this at the primer stage but didn't pick up on it. From a side-on or three-quarter view it's fine, so not the end of the world.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I slapped some Klear on to seal the weathering and ended up removing a lot!

So I applied some more last night before using the wet cotton bud to clean it up a bit.

There's a loco under there somewhere....

post-898-0-34051300-1510227487_thumb.jpg

A lot of photos of industrial locos show the tank having been overfilled and the water contrasting with the grubby loco.

I tried using some glue 'n glaze applied with a brush to give this effect.

post-898-0-90898300-1510227505_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-21901700-1510227525_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I was a bit dubious about this when you started but it's turned out quite good in the end. Just one thing though - there appears to be a gap between the front bufferbeam and the cylinders. Perhaps you ought to put some filler pieces in the frame to make it look more solid?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

SCC - Sodor Clay Company, right? Also, nice model. Could we please see a video of it in action

I had an RC receiver wired in that wasn't behaving itself so I've sent it back to Micron who will hopefully send me a new one :)

Because it would be a J11 instead of a 3F which is what I want. It's not really relevant to this thread or section, not being an industrial loco ;)

Sorry - I was only trying to help you and it was a thought. The J11 is roughly the closest you'd get to the L&YR Class 28, James' basis (that's what Gavin/Kunckles told me).

• RMweb Gold

Here we are part way through installing the RC system in the YEC loco. The charging port has been glued in just behind the cab steps.

I've run out of slide switches, some will hopefully arrive Wednesday. I've left the leads deliberately long during this process so I can figure out how it all fits together. What I may do is add a plug so that the Rx and battery are both mounted in the body permanently, and I can unplug the motor and chassis.

There's also a tight spot in the chassis which needs sorting, possibly the wheels are slightly out of quarter.

post-898-0-21831500-1512434730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs