Trev's Western wanderings

Trev52A

Thanks for posting these Trevor.

D1005 at Newton Abbot on 6Z66 is on a ballast train, probably loaded at nearby Stoneycombe Quarry which produced a pinkish colour ballast,

they appear to be catfish hoppers (TOPS code ZEV)  

cheers

Thanks for posting these Trevor.

D1005 at Newton Abbot on 6Z66 is on a ballast train, probably loaded at nearby Stoneycombe Quarry which produced a pinkish colour ballast,

they appear to be catfish hoppers (TOPS code ZEV)  

cheers

That's great, many thanks for clearing that up.

Trevor

Three more, all b&w this time:

D1018 Western Buccaneer passing Reading with a down express on 1st June 1973

D1020 Western Hero entering Exeter SD with the down 'Cornish Rivera Ltd' (or should that be 'Cornish Riviera Express'? - I don't have a contemporary WR timetable to check, but I noted it in my book as 'CRL') which I joined here and travelled on to Plymouth, on 8th July 1970 

D1022 Western Sentinel, with D1010 Western Campaigner coupled behind, prepares to leave Plymouth with an inter-regional train from the west on 29th May1974. I did not make a note if the second loco was 'dead' or if it was a genuine 'double-header' - any ideas, anyone?

Cheers

Trevor

post-24907-0-87705400-1508431897_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-26191600-1508431939_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-38215200-1508431994_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Three more, all b&w this time:

D1018 Western Buccaneer passing Reading with a down express on 1st June 1973

D1020 Western Hero entering Exeter SD with the down 'Cornish Rivera Ltd' (or should that be 'Cornish Riviera Express'? - I don't have a contemporary WR timetable to check, but I noted it in my book as 'CRL') which I joined here and travelled on to Plymouth, on 8th July 1970 

D1022 Western Sentinel, with D1010 Western Campaigner coupled behind, prepares to leave Plymouth with an inter-regional train from the west on 29th May1974. I did not make a note if the second loco was 'dead' or if it was a genuine 'double-header' - any ideas, anyone?

Cheers

Trevor

Great photos Trevor - thanks for posting, and if you have more, please keep them coming.  The shot of D1022 and D1010 is almost certainly 1M74 1400 (ish) Penzance - Birmingham. This was usually double headed, and quite often with Westerns. The time on the clock is spot on for their arrival. They would both be removed at Plymouth for a Peak or 47 on to Birmingham...

Steve

Great photos Trevor - thanks for posting, and if you have more, please keep them coming.  The shot of D1022 and D1010 is almost certainly 1M74 1400 (ish) Penzance - Birmingham. This was usually double headed, and quite often with Westerns. The time on the clock is spot on for their arrival. They would both be removed at Plymouth for a Peak or 47 on to Birmingham...

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll put that info on the neg packet.

Cheers

Trevor

Another three this time...

D1036 Western Emperor, fresh out of the paint shop, at Exeter on 29th May 1975

You'll have to take my word for it, but this is D1037 Western Empress at Exeter on 8th July 1970. How can I be sure? Well, I had just travelled on the train from Taunton (my first journey behind a 'Western') and incidentally this was my first visit to Exeter St Davids. On the left with a train for Waterloo via Salisbury is 828 (no 'D' by this time) Magnificent in blue with full yellow ends. The 'Western' is in blue but still with small yellow panels. The full yellow end completely changes the 'face' of a loco, doesn't it?

D1040 Western Queen speeds past the old pumping station for Brunel's short-lived atmospheric railway system at Starcross on 31st May 1975. (I say 'speeds past' to try and justify the slight

Trevor

First class stuff Trev

Cheers Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Some wonderful photos there, and thanks for sharing. 

You mention not being able to add captions between the photos; but I'm not sure how you are trying to do that. 

The way I do it seems to work for me. 

I use the "reply with attachments" button, and then on the following screen use "choose file" followed by "attach this file" for each individual image.

Once you have done that, each image thumbnail should come up on a separate line with "add to post" on the right hand side.

You can then type whatever you like, and just position your cursor wherever you wish the images to be. press "add to post" in each location.

Alternatively, you could press "add to post" at the beginning of the page, and each file will come up in square brackets. Then all you need to do is type your text immediately after each set of square brackets, and you will get the same effect.

Edited by jonny777

Really glad you've started this thread Trev, well played squire!

D1037 at Exeter in BSYP livery - definitely 'Empress', I have a shot somewhere with the same weathering pattern. With only seven carrying this livery it's quite easy to identify them in photos, even b&w ones  ;) . As an example, D1030 sticks out like a sore thumb as it had red bufferbeams, smaller (hand painted) arrow logos and the headcode glass rubbers were painted yellow at both ends, something it kept even when repainted into BFYE livery.

• Like 1

Some wonderful photos there, and thanks for sharing. 

You mention not being able to add captions between the photos; but I'm not sure how you are trying to do that. 

The way I do it seems to work for me. 

I use the "reply with attachments" button, and then on the following screen use "choose file" followed by "attach this file" for each individual image.

Once you have done that, each image thumbnail should come up on a separate line with "add to post" on the right hand side.

You can then type whatever you like, and just position your cursor wherever you wish the images to be. press "add to post" in each location.

Alternatively, you could press "add to post" at the beginning of the page, and each file will come up in square brackets. Then all you need to do is type your text immediately after each set of square brackets, and you will get the same effect.

Thanks for that advice, Jonny. I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Trevor

Just how I remember the Westerns at Reading, Exeter, Dawlish and Newton Abbot, even down to the sunshine and shadows on the stations.  Fantastic photos, dripping in the best kind of nostalgia, and it's an added bonus to have 828 in one of them as well (don't tell anyone, but I loved the Warships even more than the Westerns).

Thanks v much for sharing,

David

Just how I remember the Westerns at Reading, Exeter, Dawlish and Newton Abbot, even down to the sunshine and shadows on the stations.  Fantastic photos, dripping in the best kind of nostalgia, and it's an added bonus to have 828 in one of them as well (don't tell anyone, but I loved the Warships even more than the Westerns).

Thanks v much for sharing,

David

Your secret is safe with me, David.

Cheers

Trevor

On the basis of one pic for each 'Western' I photographed, we are about half way through, now.

Three more:

post-24907-0-06570400-1508521985_thumb.jpg

D1041 Western Prince arriving at Reading on 1st June 1973 with a train for the West Country, which I travelled on as far as Exeter.

post-24907-0-42015000-1508522031_thumb.jpg

D1043 Western Duke rounds the curve approaching Teignmouth station with the down Cornish Riviera Ltd on 31st May 1975 - a rare telephoto shot of mine.

post-24907-0-13068100-1508522080_thumb.jpg

D1046 Western Marquis arrives at Paignton with a train from Paddington on 30th May 1975

(Thanks to Jonny777 for advice on uploading the pictures!)

Trevor

• Like 16

Some lovely pictures, unfortunately I was a mere babe in arms when most of these were taken. I didn’t get into trains until the early 80’s.

Do you have any more of D1026 please?

Hi Dougie

I have now added my only other shot of D1026 to your own thread ('Western workings') in which you are looking for a headcode.

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

Another three...

post-24907-0-73306500-1508593517_thumb.jpg

D1047 Western Lord leaves Par with a train for Penzance on 30th May 1974, watched by holidaymakers probably waiting for a train on the Newquay branch, which curves away on the right hand side

post-24907-0-91806600-1508593710_thumb.jpg

D1048 Western Lady heads west from Teignmouth station on 31st May 1975

post-24907-0-68795500-1508593817_thumb.jpg

D1050 Western Ruler with a mixed freight at Totnes on 29th May 1974

Trevor

• Like 19

Last three for tonight...

post-24907-0-38039400-1508620171_thumb.jpg

D1051 Western Ambassador heads east through Teignmouth on 31st May 1975

post-24907-0-49147200-1508620276_thumb.jpg

D1052 Western Viceroy heads west through Exeter St. Thomas station on 29th May 1975

post-24907-0-11103500-1508620393_thumb.jpg

D1053 Western Patriarch waits for the off at Newton Abbot on 30th May 1974. I had just alighted from the train which I had joined at Dawlish early that morning - seaside towns were always good bets for B&B accommodation!

Trevor

• Like 18