Trev's Western wanderings

Trev52A

D1061 I don't think they are milk tanks Trev they look like the Clayliner Tanks which were painted blue.

Cheers GARETH

Agreed. That's the Burngullow to Sittingbourne "Clayfreighter" that started running in 1967 and ended in 1985.

Brilliant! That's just the sort of info I am looking for. I will change the reference to milk tanks. So are the Clayliner tanks for some sort of liquid clay? (Pardon my ignorance!)

Cheers

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant! That's just the sort of info I am looking for. I will change the reference to milk tanks. So are the Clayliner tanks for some sort of liquid clay? (Pardon my ignorance!)

Cheers

Trevor

Liquid China Clay is used in the printing process hence the service to Sittingbourne where there was a large paper mill.

Excellent pictures.   :imsohappy:

Liquid China Clay is used in the printing process hence the service to Sittingbourne where there was a large paper mill.

Excellent pictures.   :imsohappy:

It's one of several products used to give a smooth finish to paper and board for things like magazines; it would be very difficult to print without this, as the surface would be so uneven. Whilst people tend to think of ceramics as the principal market for china clay, more is probably consumed in the paper and board industry- even today, there is a regular block train of slurry from Antwerpen to Irvine for the board mill there.

The clay tanks from Cornwall to Sittingbourne formed one of BR's very first air-braked Company trains; the wagons were manufactured by Rootes Pressings at Linwood, more usually associated with the Hillman Imp.

• Like 1

Hi Trevor,

What a fantastic collection of photographs!  Thanks a lot for sharing.  One that really stands out to me is D1036 at Exeter on 29th May 1975, with the conversation between the driver and staff on the platform, and all the little details like semaphore signals and the old parcels trolley (there's a more modern one in the background).  I can use it to justify running lots of pristine stock on my layout; the railcar on the other platform looks freshly painted as well.

It's one of several products used to give a smooth finish to paper and board for things like magazines; it would be very difficult to print without this, as the surface would be so uneven. Whilst people tend to think of ceramics as the principal market for china clay, more is probably consumed in the paper and board industry- even today, there is a regular block train of slurry from Antwerpen to Irvine for the board mill there.

The clay tanks from Cornwall to Sittingbourne formed one of BR's very first air-braked Company trains; the wagons were manufactured by Rootes Pressings at Linwood, more usually associated with the Hillman Imp.

I seem to recall that the running of these tanks was the reason for the first diesel electrics with air brakes to run in Cornwall.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in with the information on the liquid china clay tanks, as seen on my pic of D1061 earlier. Before I alter the caption, may I just add one more question - how far did the Western work the train? Presumably there would be a change of loco to its final destination in Kent?

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Thanks to everyone for chipping in with the information on the liquid china clay tanks, as seen on my pic of D1061 earlier. Before I alter the caption, may I just add one more question - how far did the Western work the train? Presumably there would be a change of loco to its final destination in Kent?

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Yes - Acton yard - was always 33 worked to/from Sittingbourne. The return departed about 18:15 and was generally MO ISTR

Edited by Southernman46

Getting very near the end of the different 'Westerns' that I photographed, now. Here are four more...

attachicon.gif030(1014c) D1063 Western Monitor nr Teignmouth 31may75 (T Ermel).jpg

D1063 Western Monitor skirts the sea wall near Teignmouth with an up express on 31st May 1975. You can almost hear the seagulls!

attachicon.gif031(299b) D1065 Didcot 26-5-75 (T Ermel).jpg

Despite the headcode, D1065 Western Consort has just arrived at Didcot on 26th May 1975 with a passenger train for the west - in fact I had travelled on it from Paddington.

attachicon.gif032(801bS) D1068 Paddington 23-4-65 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

My only picture of a 'Western' in maroon livery - an early (basic 127-film camera) shot of D1068 Western Reliance at Paddington on 23rd April 1965. Now I understand why these locos had such a reputation for good looks! On a family holiday with relatives in Hertfordshire, it was easy to travel in to London to visit the main terminus stations. Waterloo was my favourite - steam everywhere! Kings Cross didn't offer much more than I was used to at home on Tyneside ('Baby Deltics' excepted). Paddington offered exotic locos such as 'Westerns' to cop. Strange to think now that when I took this picture, the last 'Western' to enter traffic (D1029) was still less than one year old!

attachicon.gif033(306bS) D1069 Plymouth 27-5-75 (T Ermel).jpg

D1069 Western Vanguard catches the evening sun at Plymouth with a parcels (presumably) train for the east on 27th May 1975.

One more batch to follow plus a puzzle picture, then a catch-up with some other 'Westerns' that didn't make the first round.

Trevor

Trevor, Really enjoying seeing these photos. D1069 on 4A13 is the 1445 Penzance Paddington perishables, a long standing Thousand hauled train in the west country.....Steve

Great shots once again Trev, superb just about covers it!

I'd say that's definitely D1057 at Padd above, the state of the front end matches plenty of other shots of it at the time. It's also a fab picture of my beloved Padd!

I'd love to see a shot of the 'real' D1057 to compare - in which case I would have pics of 37 individual locos out of 74 - exactly half.

Cheers for that, Rug.

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

Here are some of the others, no particular order this time...

post-24907-0-49590600-1508792660_thumb.jpg

D1010 Western Campaigner at Newton Abbot on 29th May 1974. Can anyone explain the pronounced discolouring at the front end?

post-24907-0-82460600-1508792702_thumb.jpg

D1046 Western Marquis approaching Teignmouth from the west on 30th May 1975

post-24907-0-51050100-1508792761_thumb.jpg

D1063 Western Monitor at Exeter SD on 30th May 1975 alongside a train for Waterloo via Salisbury behind 33029

More to come..

Trevor 

• Like 17

These three were all in Devon in 1975...

post-24907-0-74071200-1508832603_thumb.jpg

D1052 Western Viceroy heads east at the classic location at Teignmouth on 31st May 1975

post-24907-0-28979900-1508832675_thumb.jpg

D1070 Western Gauntlet enters Devon off the Royal Albert Bridge on 28th May 1975

post-24907-0-55450900-1508832790_thumb.jpg

A nicely clean D1071 Western Renown, light engine at Plymouth on 27th May 1975

Trevor

• Like 16

A question for 'Western' fans - what's that square box structure on the cab front of D1071, below the handrail? It appears on both my pics of this loco in 1974 and 1975. Some sort of ventilator?

Cheers

Trevor

You've answered your own question Trevor. It is a cab ventilator. Locos fitted were D1012, D1028, D1039, D1056 and D1071.

After a crappy day what a topic to come across, so many well-composed images and some great references to shabby Westerns that I'll come back to for weathering references. In a couple of pages you've offered more of interest image-wise than most books on the subject.

Thank you Trevor!

• Like 2