Trev's Western wanderings

Trev52A

You've answered your own question Trevor. It is a cab ventilator. Locos fitted were D1012, D1028, D1039, D1056 and D1071.

..and D1071 was the only one of those which I photographed. No wonder I thought it was a one-off!

Many thanks for the info. 

Cheers

Trevor

Lovely to see all these shots of Westerns.

I'd go with the train behind 1070 being stone;the weathering on the side stanchions of the wagons looks like stone dust. This would be the period when there were lots of stone workings to temporary terminals in Surrey and Berkshire in connection with motorway construction; this working had been running for long enough to have a proper reporting number, rather than '6Z**'.

What a wonderful set of Western photos, Trevor. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Thank you very much - I have enjoyed sorting them out and, in fact, making a complete list for the first time of those 'Westerns' I photographed. I am now tempted to go back to my old 'locoshed' book from steam days and continue where I left off, underlining all those I saw in the 1970s. I probably saw most of them, but I know D1000 always eluded me, unfortunately. I gave up underlining diesels once renumbering started - no such problems with 'Westerns'!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 2

I remember D1000 as being particularly elusive too, despite growing up alongside the WR main line at Tilehurst and spending far too many hours on Reading station watching hydraulics and Blue Pullmans - I'd given up on ever seeing it, so I still recall my deep joy as a seven-year-old on finally coming across it at Paignton in the summer of 1972.  My dad had taken us for a trip behind Flying Scotsman to Kingswear, but I was much more excited about seeing Western Enterprise than 4472 (and that hasn't changed over the last 45 years either - I'll choose a pair of Maybachs every time).  Odd what you remember, isn't it?

Thanks again for the cracking photos on this thread,

David

• Like 2

Here are some of the others, no particular order this time...

attachicon.gif038(1165c) D1010 Newton Abbot 29-5-74 (T Ermel).jpg

D1010 Western Campaigner at Newton Abbot on 29th May 1974. Can anyone explain the pronounced discolouring at the front end?

attachicon.gif039(043bS) D1046 Western Marquis nr Tnmth 30-5-75 (T Ermel).jpg

D1046 Western Marquis approaching Teignmouth from the west on 30th May 1975

attachicon.gif040(1017c) 33029+D1063 Western Monitor Exeter St Davids 30-05-75 (T Ermel).jpg

D1063 Western Monitor at Exeter SD on 30th May 1975 alongside a train for Waterloo via Salisbury behind 33029

More to come..

Trevor 

The shot D1010 with what looks like a white cab side.

I've seen colour shot of it at Penzance it looks like an over active carriage wash, most stuff in 70's seem to have white marks on it from the carriage washing soap.

Adrian Curtis had a colour shot of it in one his mags with a white cab end taken around 74.

Cheers GARETH  

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

• RMweb Gold

Terrific Trev, note the Paddington shot of D1065,she had a different shaped horn cowl to the rest of the class at one end. You’ve captured it perfectly and I’ve been trawling for years and not found one of better quality.

I’m pretty sure I was there In London that day, but don’t have my records immediately to hand. Spent most of the day at KX chasing the deltics. With 40+ year hindsight should have been at Paddington with a camera!

Neil

@ Gareth (TEDDY BEAR D9521)

Thanks for that - I have since seen other posts on this website with the same explanation.

@ Neil (Downendian)

Thanks for pointing out that detail on D1065 - I hadn't realised. Did you see my colour shot of this loco at Didcot on the same day? (Post #38 above)

It would be interesting to find out from your notes if you really were at Kings Cross that day, Monday 26th May1975. I had passed through KX around midday on the first day of an All-Line Railrover (7 days for £31) after arriving behind 55017 from Darlington. (For some reason I had caught an earlier train from Newcastle behind 46031 and changed at Darlington to pick up the Deltic).

If I may hijack my own thread (!) here's a shot I took after arriving in London which might jog your memory.

post-24907-0-35661600-1509269400_thumb.jpg

55017 and 47424 at Kings Cross on 26th May 1975

I've updated my spotting books after sorting out  this 'Western' compilation and I find I have not officially seen D1057, even though my shot at Paddington (which I had recorded incorrectly as D1075 - see my post #41 earlier) might be it. Still hoping to see someone's pic of D1057 to compare front ends - then that's another I can underline!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

@ Gareth (TEDDY BEAR D9521)

Thanks for that - I have since seen other posts on this website with the same explanation.

@ Neil (Downendian)

Thanks for pointing out that detail on D1065 - I hadn't realised. Did you see my colour shot of this loco at Didcot on the same day? (Post #38 above)

It would be interesting to find out from your notes if you really were at Kings Cross that day, Monday 26th May1975. I had passed through KX around midday on the first day of an All-Line Railrover (7 days for £31) after arriving behind 55017 from Darlington. (For some reason I had caught an earlier train from Newcastle behind 46031 and changed at Darlington to pick up the Deltic).

If I may hijack my own thread (!) here's a shot I took after arriving in London which might jog your memory.

attachicon.gif(257cS) 55017+47434 Kings Cross 26-5-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

55017 and 47424 at Kings Cross on 26th May 1975

Cheers

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, indeed I had not spotted the earlier D1065 photo at Didcot. My model of D1065 has already been built complete with unique horn cowl, but these photos are invaluable.

Spotting books in Bristol, and I’ve spent a very nice weekend in the South Hams, will be reunited with them mid week, when I’ll check the date and KX log.

Neil

Cracking shot above at KX Trev, shows up rerally well how some locos had their old pre-Tops four digit numbers painted over and new five digit numbers applied over the top. I see 47 434 still has it's pre-'73 style data panel too.

Those data panels were generally only changed with a visit to works.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Trevor

Re the unidentified Western in post 41, and whether it’s D1057. I’m pretty sure it’s D1070, a photo taken on 1/5/75 has three identical rust patches and is found in Stephen Dowles excellent “class 52 Westerns, the twilight years” p28. Sorry!

From this very forum I found that I’d in fact seen D1032 in Swindon con yard which wasn’t recorded in October 1974. A post from a fellow RMwebber had shown it was present the day before I had travelled to London.

Neil

https://flic.kr/p/r1V7d8

D1070 in 1975

Neil

Many thanks for that, Neil (I think - one less 'Western' to my name!)

I am now convinced the b&w shot at Paddington is indeed D1070 (not D1075 as I had recorded it, nor D1057 as I had hoped). In fact, now looking at my b&w shot of D1070 at Reading on the stone train in 1973 I see it shows the start of the same rust marks two years earlier. Not only that, but looking through my shots which did not make the final 50 I found this one. Sorted!! Just as well to get these things cleared up 42 years later.

post-24907-0-29424300-1509303049_thumb.jpg

D1070 Western Gauntlet entering Teignmouth station on 27th May 1975

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 11

Those data panels were generally only changed with a visit to works.

Some were done at depots early on in the late '73 / early '74 period, there were still some leftovers of both types in the stores at Old Oak when I was there in the '80s!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Spotting books in Bristol, and I’ve spent a very nice weekend in the South Hams, will be reunited with them mid week, when I’ll check the date and KX log.

Neil

Quoting myself, but I’ve retrieved said logs. I was in London 3 days later on the Thursday of that week (29/5/75). Indeed D1070 was seen at Paddington in the late afternoon as we were returning to Bristol. So it had been quite active that week. It was the day we tried to board the prototype HST at Bristol parkway only to find it was first class only. It was the only direct train to London from there due to engineering works from Westerleigh to Wootton Bassett.

Neil

Quoting myself, but I’ve retrieved said logs. I was in London 3 days later on the Thursday of that week (29/5/75). Indeed D1070 was seen at Paddington in the late afternoon as we were returning to Bristol. So it had been quite active that week. It was the day we tried to board the prototype HST at Bristol parkway only to find it was first class only. It was the only direct train to London from there due to engineering works from Westerleigh to Wootton Bassett.

Neil

Thanks for checking on that, Neil. So our paths didn't cross after all. I was in Devon all that day but I did see D1070 at Exeter that afternoon heading for London. As you can see from this picture I didn't include enough of the loco to check for rust marks on the front! (Actually it would have been on the other end.)

post-24907-0-35859700-1509636546_thumb.jpg

D1070 at Exter SD on 29th May 1975

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely fantastic pics Trev. Only just caught up with this. Did you take any close up pics of number or nameplates?.

Thanks for the comment, lancer.

Looking back through my pics, no, I didn't take any closeups at all, sadly! (I did photograph a few 'Deltic' 'plates but that's a different story.)

I've just come back from a week's holiday in Devon where I managed to spend some time on the seawall at Teignmouth, where I took some of the 'Western' photos over 40 years ago!

Who would have thought that the HSTs would still be going strong, or that there would be a new Great Western Railway today?!

Regards

Trevor