Oxford Rail GWR Dean Goods...

coachmann

So just to recap if I may, am I right in thinking that the tender as supplied with the Oxford loco is a 2500 gallon Dean tender?

Yes.

Am I also right in thinking that there were two lengths of Dean tender & that this one is the 'short' variety?

Three wheelbases actually: 5'6" + 5'6" (2000g/2400g), 6'6" + 6'6" (2500g), 7'6" + 7'6" (3000g upward).

Edited by Miss Prism

One other question if I may, so the tender behind the Airfix / Mailine / Hornby Dean Goods is the longer 3000 gallon version?

Anyone any comments on how good / bad it is? (Already acknowledging that it really needs a replacement frame & wheels) Is the superstructure pretty accurate?

If I go for a second DG, it would be nice to have one with a different tender (assuming that I can pick up a second hand one at a good price)

( Apologies for taking the Oxford thread off track )

The Mainline tender is 3000g. The body is still quite good, considering its antiquity. Comet does a replacement underframe and chassis kit.

The comet under frame is terrible! Only correct dimension is the wheelbase. High level would  be the one to get.

These are all Mainline tenders:

post-21854-0-46000500-1512670309_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I hesitated to mention the HL tender chassis - people who are into that sort of thing are likely to know about it anyway.

It's a bit like mentioning HL's 0-4-2T chassis amidst the woes of Hornby's new effort.

True, but worth mentioning that there is no point paying out for the etched comet offering when the 30+ year old plastic moulding is far superior! I had started work on my own superior version, must resurrect it! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Late to this thread, I'm afraid!

I've been away from things GWR for some while, but happened to be out last-minute shopping today and saw several Oxford Dean Goodses in lined green.

To my unassisted eyesight, they looked pretty nice, and definitely piqued my interest.

Coach - your BR black version looks exemplary!

Reading through the thread, am I right that Oxford are introducing an unlined GWR version of the updated tooling? In which case, are they likely to reintroduce the lined version with the updated tooling, too?

Just how "wrong" is the original tooling, anyway?

Cheers and a happy Christmas,

Mark

Late to this thread, I'm afraid!

I've been away from things GWR for some while, but happened to be out last-minute shopping today and saw several Oxford Dean Goodses in lined green.

To my unassisted eyesight, they looked pretty nice, and definitely piqued my interest.

Coach - your BR black version looks exemplary!

Reading through the thread, am I right that Oxford are introducing an unlined GWR version of the updated tooling? In which case, are they likely to reintroduce the lined version with the updated tooling, too?

Just how "wrong" is the original tooling, anyway?

Cheers and a happy Christmas,

Mark

The GWR Green one will be the new tooling. The best one will be the Locomotion Limited edition, although it will still have errors. Both toolings are riddled with small errors, but the old lined green one has a cab shape that limits it to a choice of around 10 locos. 

It's not hard to change things though, 2538 below started life as a lined green loco, it has now had new smokebox door, chimney, washout plugs, tender filler and etched plates. 2409 is getting new plates, chimney and a new smokebox door. 

post-21854-0-05051400-1514155035_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-13036600-1514155046_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-27162200-1514155057_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-61703200-1514155166_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Quarryscapes, the Tender water filler and dome interest me. Is this how things were on these Tenders, or did some have the elongated water filler as on the Oxford model?

Most would have had the separate filler and dome, very few D shaped ones lasted beyond the lined green era. 

• 1 year later...

I was called out before I could finish post #1. It was tested on DC and ran smoothly with no hickups.  The Tender body was released by two small screws at the front end before unclipping the back end. There is an 8-pin decoder socket and what is probably a plastic folder for a small speaker.  This is an area I will have to study, as I prefer 645 decoders and larger cube speakers plus a stay-alive...

attachicon.gifWEB Dean goods 11.jpg

Hi, was the large electrolytic capacitor as fitted?

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the more recent BR black versions.

I need to renumber it, can anyone say how easy it is to remove the existing number plate supplied by Oxford Rail, please?

Thanks.

It has to be carefully scraped off as it's a raised moulding. It can be done, but not taking out the cab edge beading or the rivet heads is tricky. I've managed it with my 2409.

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello Folks, a quick question, if I may.  Did Oxford release this model with a twin flywheel?  ISTR that Oxford released this model as such. Naturally, any information would be gratefully received. 

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Ian

I understand they did with a conventional motor, the newer ones have a coreless motor.

Seems to run well enough all the same

• Thanks 1