Oxford Rail GWR Dean Goods...

coachmann

I made it clear in my intro that the images were of a model 'straight out of the box'.  It appears this version is what you get when ordering the BR black version. I also said it benefited from earlier feedback from RMweb members and NRM Shildon, ie: different and improved cab-side cutout and higher washout plugs.  I believe Oxford said it could not cost-effectively remove the rivets on the splasher beading.

Rivets remain in top of the splashers, but they were there on some locos anyway at some point in their lives. So far I have not come across these rivets on locos in BR days, but unless I decide to remove the splashers from the running plate (I doubt I will to be honest), then I will live with the rivets. I suspect that trying to remove them while in situ will not be wholly successful.......This area reflects light and so the splasher top really needs to be sanded down afterwards in order to restore its surface.

Finally, I now believe the alternative cabside cutout could be formed with care and new beading added from 5thou styrene sheet. Again, this is on my mind if only because I bought plates for 2538. A planned trip to Llangollen has been scuppered by lousy weather and so anything could happen on my workbench today...  :biggrin_mini2:

Indeed you did, though thanks for taking the trouble to re-state it; I simply had not realised/expected these improvements on the standard model, so was rather taken by surprise (in a nice way). 

This is obviously the one to go for as a basis for a custom DG, and your OOB photographs are helpful.

I expect that filing off rivets on splasher tops will be a question of matching a particular prototype, assuming that detail is known with regard to any particular loco, and, as has been pointed out, the rivets on the sides are easily dealt with.  Alternatively, modellers may seek to replace the splashers, which are not integral to the frames, with closer-to-scale replacements, if that is found to be practicable.

These matters are down to taste, I would say, and/or the wish to match a particular prototype, but clearly we have a far better starting point than with 2309 and that is encouraging.

• RMweb Gold

BR Black one just arrived in the mail. Unfortunately my conversion of the green one (to an MSWJR 2-4-0) is too far advanced for a meaningful comparison photo. (CJL)

Sounds like an interesting conversion. Any chance of a workbench photo of the MSJWR loco, or is it under wraps for an article in the mag?

A minor update.  The splashers were in fact easily snapped free of the running plate with being held on by small pips....

post-6680-0-79263400-1508509204.jpg

So I removed all the rivets....

post-6680-0-55566100-1508509205.jpg

Then I made a smaller splasher that was shallower by the thickness of the bottom beading. Beading was added using 5thou plastikard. It was placed over the leading drivers to compare with the Oxford splasher. At this stage I was ready to remove about 1mm from the base of each splasher, but in the end I decided not to because I couldn't be bothered altering the cabside 'splasher' to match....

post-6680-0-17766000-1508509207_thumb.jpg  

Rivet-less splashers glued back with Loctite.  The brass pipe replaced some missing pipework...

post-6680-0-14359800-1508509209_thumb.jpg

After painting the splasher tops and brass pipe. It is now ready for weathering...

post-6680-0-72424700-1508511491_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Hi Coachmann,

In the spirit of constructive comment, I've no idea what the bit of pipework that you've added is on the right had side of the loco, but in a pic that I've found on 'tinternet' it appears to be missing - pic by Robert Darlaston.

For some reason I don't appear to be able to post a link

I know, time period is everything & there's no saying that you are modeling 2538 as in 1957

Cheers, Mike C

Hi Coachmann,

In the spirit of constructive comment, I've no idea what the bit of pipework that you've added is on the right had side of the loco, but in a pic that I've found on 'tinternet' it appears to be missing - pic by Robert Darlaston.

For some reason I don't appear to be able to post a link

I know, time period is everything & there's no saying that you are modeling 2538 as in 1957

Cheers, Mike C

All assistance is gratefully accepted Mike. I can see what you mean. It only went partway and I stupidly assumed a piece had broken off.  Easily remedied..... :good:

Edited by coachmann

Sounds like an interesting conversion. Any chance of a workbench photo of the MSJWR loco, or is it under wraps for an article in the mag?

I wouldn't say it's under wraps but to some degree my willingness to show it off will depend on how well the conversion works. Like a lot of those conversions of ready-to-run, the more you get into it, the more you have to do. I've made a new cab but retained the back-head, I've fitted but not yet secured, a new front axle and I've filled the front splasher holes. The work required on the tender is frightening me at present, as it would be easier to add a complete new tender, but then you'd lose the pick-ups.

Incidentally, I've been running my new BR black Dean Goods and I really can't see anything much to grumble about now. I'm sure those who know every Dean Goods off by heart will say there's still some things wrong with it, but for a budget priced 0-6-0 in today's market it looks and performs just beautifully. (CJL)

• Like 9

Old news - I've had a BR black one for months  :onthequiet:

So it took so long to bring out the black one because they used the new tooling. Good - it looks far superior to the lined green one. I even spy they've sorted the ghastly old moulded chimney. Looks like I'll need to buy another now! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Like a lot of those conversions of ready-to-run, the more you get into it, the more you have to do.

I know what you mean. 

post-738-0-74162200-1508524195.jpg

This is an attempt to backdate the Oxford Dean Goods to a roundtopped boiler with short smokebox. "Won't take long" I thought, Ha!

The tender will be easier than the MSWJR one though, as it mainly just needs new coal rails. 

• Like 13

I know what you mean. 

attachicon.gifDSCN4328 800.jpg

This is an attempt to backdate the Oxford Dean Goods to a roundtopped boiler with short smokebox. "Won't take long" I thought, Ha!

The tender will be easier than the MSWJR one though, as it mainly just needs new coal rails. 

Yours looks to be mostly difficult boiler alteration - mine is mostly nice easy flat bits. If I'd had the black one first, I'd have been quite satisfied and probably wouldn't have tried converting it. But those little MSWJ locos were cute and they operated some of my favourite stretches of railway. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As always brilliant photos Larry........this batch (and your comments) are both brilliant and persuasive.........they persuaded me that I really need a Dean Goods in war time black in addition to the unlined green which is on a ship somewhere.

Can you recommend the most effective way of removing the BR decals? I have previously used brake fluid.....sometimes with mixed results I am afraid.

Many thanks for starting this thread

Best wishes

John

• Like 2

The brass pipe replaced some missing pipework...

The valence pipe on the right-hand side of the Oxford is meant to be an ATC conduit. It is not clear why Oxford put it on. The conduit terminates correctly at the front of the rear splasher, with the prototype conduit then leading up the cabfront. The latter part of the conduit is not incorporated by Oxford as far as I can see. The ATC conduit should not be as thick as the left-hand side vacuum pipe. Maybe Oxford China thought it was a steam pipe.

Fitting of ATC on DGs was rare, even in their later years.

DGs fitted with steam heating was also a rarity, but such a pipe would extend the full length of the valence.

Where both steam heating and ATC were fitted (double rare!), then there would be two pipes on the right-hand side valence.

Thanks Miss Prism. I had beaten you to it and replaced the whole pipe with thin handrail wire before sitting down to watch an evening movie.

As always brilliant photos Larry........this batch (and your comments) are both brilliant and persuasive.........they persuaded me that I really need a Dean Goods in war time black in addition to the unlined green which is on a ship somewhere.

Can you recommend the most effective way of removing the BR decals? I have previously used brake fluid.....sometimes with mixed results I am afraid.

Many thanks for starting this thread

Best wishes

John

John, I'm afraid you will have to hope for a response from someone who  is used to removing decals from plastic models. In my professional capacity, I only painted metal models, however, when repainting my own RTR plastic models, I always remove insignia with the back of a kraft knife and finish off with a fibre brush. Care is needed to avoid marking the soft surface.

Thanks Miss Prism. I had beaten you to it and replaced the whole pipe with thin handrail wire before sitting down to watch an evening movie.

John, I'm afraid you will have to hope for a response from someone who  is used to removing decals from plastic models. In my professional capacity, I only painted metal models, however, when repainting my own RTR plastic models, I always remove insignia with the back of a kraft knife and finish off with a fibre brush. Care is needed to avoid marking the soft surface.

T-Cut and a cocktail stick. (CJL)

• Like 1

The valence pipe on the right-hand side of the Oxford is meant to be an ATC conduit. It is not clear why Oxford put it on. The conduit terminates correctly at the front of the rear splasher, with the prototype conduit then leading up the cabfront. The latter part of the conduit is not incorporated by Oxford as far as I can see. The ATC conduit should not be as thick as the left-hand side vacuum pipe. Maybe Oxford China thought it was a steam pipe.

Fitting of ATC on DGs was rare, even in their later years.

The original over-diameter pipe was unplugged and new ATC conduit was bent up from handrail wire. One end was pushed through a hole in the running plate angle and the lot attached with Loctite....

post-6680-0-93402600-1508581777.jpg

• Like 3

For DGs fitted with ATC, the shoe is quite prominent at the front. Here is 2537:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Cardiff_Canton_Locomotive_Yard_Dean_Goods_geograph-2933079-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

And here is 2538:

http://www.railuk.info/gallery/notes/watermark_no.php?id=461&file_name=2538.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism

Yay......Mine resembles a Kadee   :biggrin_mini2:   or ATC = Automatic Train Coupling.

Joking aside, thanks for the images.

Edited by coachmann

Interesting positioning of the smokebox door handles on 2537

The more I look at photos pf the prototype, the more i wish I had reduced the height of the splashers. When I glue things back they are glued back(!), so I may buy another Dean Goods. They dont look to bad in real life but the camera doesn't do them any favors.

They dont look to bad in real life but the camera doesn't do them any favors.

And there, I think, you have it exactly.  I was surprised (although I shouldn't have been!) at how small the actual model is in real life when I saw one at the recent Great Electric Train Show.  Frankly, my eyesight isn't up to seeing some of the oft pointed out faults at this size..and probably never was!!  I admire very much your capacity to effect improvements at this small size.  Great work.