Oxford Rail GWR Dean Goods...

coachmann

The more I look at photos pf the prototype, the more i wish I had reduced the height of the splashers. When I glue things back they are glued back(!), so I may buy another Dean Goods. They dont look to bad in real life but the camera doesn't do them any favors.

It's not surprising that they look too big. 2516's splashers are, to the nearest 1/16", 14 1/2" tall (4.83mm in 4mm scale).  Oxford's are 6mm tall, so 1.17mm too high, over 3" at scale.  Mainline's were over-scale too, but only by half as much as Oxford. That is intended as an objective statement, and neither is pro nor anti the model before anyone jumps for the "moderator" button again, dear me.

Based on Coach's photographs I think this re-tooled Oxford Dean is now quite usable, but, my personal preference would be to replace the splashers with something as close to scale as would work.  This would involve some filling of the cab side sheets, but the proportions of the cab-side would benefit accordingly, so, for me, I think that would be worth the effort.

The basic prototype dimensions are hard fact, but the extent to which people will want to correct a model the better to conform to them is, I think, a subjective matter and I suspect most people will be happy to leave be what is, after all, a much improved OOB model.  I can certainly see more promise than problems in this re-tooled version. 

I think your finishing touches are well worth making.  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

And there, I think, you have it exactly.  I was surprised (although I shouldn't have been!) at how small the actual model is in real life when I saw one at the recent Great Electric Train Show.  Frankly, my eyesight isn't up to seeing some of the oft pointed out faults at this size..and probably never was!!  I admire very much your capacity to effect improvements at this small size.  Great work.

You have probably hit the nail on the head there about eye-sight. It comes to affect us all in old age.

Edited by coachmann

I may be asking a silly question; shouldn't the engine have top feed?

No.  I realise top feeds are associated with later years for some classes, e.g. 14XX and Panniers, but only 40 or so Dean Goods were ever fitted with top feeds, and this was from c.1913, and I suspect they were gone long before Nationalisation.

EDIT:  Not a silly question, though! 

Edited by Edwardian

Well done

Looking good

This is an attempt to backdate the Oxford Dean Goods to a roundtopped boiler with short smokebox. "Won't take long" I thought, Ha!

So not brassed off yet - ho ho,

Regards

Ray

Having just acquired a Brand New Mainline model I can see what coach means about the splashers.

• Like 1

Perhaps subconsciously I was attracted to the Dean Goods because of my days on L&Y 'A' Class 0-6-0's. It is certainly on my mind when I look up at the shelf above my PC and see the Dean....

post-6680-0-59691800-1508601025_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-76555700-1508601634_thumb.jpg

I put a Bachmann SE&CR 'C' class chassis under the L&Y loco to replace the original brass chassis.

For anyone interested, the coupled wheelbase of the Dean Goods is  29mm X 33mm, or 7' 3" X 8' 3"  (same as on some other GWR locos). However, the casting forming the underside of the boiler could be a stumbling block for use under other loco bodies.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

I gave up following the other topic ages ago, so don't know if this was discussed there, but is it practical to convert it to EM or P4?

This is theory you understand, but if you were moving the existing driving wheels out on thier axles to suit EM gauge, it looks like you would have to first remove the splashers (easy enough), then file some metal from the wheel slots in the running plate and then glue the splasher back. They would of course be wider spaced than before although not much. It would be easy enough to fit new EM gauge wheels on the Tender, and there is plenty of room.  The Tender has electrical pick-ups.

• RMweb Gold

The more I look at photos pf the prototype, the more i wish I had reduced the height of the splashers. When I glue things back they are glued back(!), so I may buy another Dean Goods. They dont look to bad in real life but the camera doesn't do them any favors.

Were you to succumb to a second one, have you thought about how you would go about reducing the splasher size on the cab?

I had intended transferring a sound decoder from a 57XX to the Dean Goods, but I've been talked out of it. So at the mo I'm debating which sound to put in. The 2251 sound is out as is the 94XX sound, but the 56XX sound is in with a chance.  Needed is a decoder that is very controllable when shunting. The 56XX has the same 1-2 + 1-2 exhaust as the 2251 0-6-0 and so it just might be the same as the Dean Goods exhaust. Will we ever know for sure?

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I put a Kadee No.18 in the front NEM pocket of my Dean Goods. The pocket keeps falling out of the chassis: the dovetail is obviously a little loose. Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to have to use a small amount of glue to hold it securely in place.

I put a Kadee No.18 in the front NEM pocket of my Dean Goods. The pocket keeps falling out of the chassis: the dovetail is obviously a little loose. Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to have to use a small amount of glue to hold it securely in place.

The opposite on mine, I broke the dovetail off trying to release it. All at the mercy of the moulding tolerances. 

Have you tried a Hornby or maybe a Bachmann pocket?

..Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to have to use a small amount of glue to hold it securely in place.

I have had this problem with a Hornby Britannias where  I mislaid the Hornby pocket and I tried fitting a Bachmann pocket - which just would not stay in place.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I had intended transferring a sound decoder from a 57XX to the Dean Goods, but I've been talked out of it. So at the mo I'm debating which sound to put in. The 2251 sound is out as is the 94XX sound, but the 56XX sound is in with a chance.  Needed is a decoder that is very controllable when shunting. The 56XX has the same 1-2 + 1-2 exhaust as the 2251 0-6-0 and so it just might be the same as the Dean Goods exhaust. Will we ever know for sure?

Don't know much about sound decoders, but one that is correct for a 57xx should be ok for a Dean Goods; the boilers and cylinders were very similar and should sound approximately the same.  Not sure how chimneys affect the actual sound, but, again, they are very similar.  If you've been talked out of it, no doubt it is for a good reason that I wot not of, but if the sound is wrong for a Dean Goods, I'd suggest it is a bit off beam for a 57xx as well!