Oxford Rail GWR Dean Goods...

coachmann

Don't know much about sound decoders, but one that is correct for a 57xx should be ok for a Dean Goods; the boilers and cylinders were very similar and should sound approximately the same.  Not sure how chimneys affect the actual sound, but, again, they are very similar.  If you've been talked out of it, no doubt it is for a good reason that I wot not of, but if the sound is wrong for a Dean Goods, I'd suggest it is a bit off beam for a 57xx as well!

If we lived in a world of DCC Sound perfection, I would agree. But if all the 57XX Pannier sounds sound like a piece of cardboard flicking against the spokes of a bike wheel, then I look elsewhere for sound. Theory about smokeboxes, chimney lengths etc fall apart when listening to real locomotives on heritage lines. Most GWR locos have a deep sharp blast. This excludes the 14XX and 64XX locos which have a blast 'higher up the keyboard', but this is probably because they are usually hauling a very light load such as one auto trailer.

This is why I fitted a L&YR 2-4-2T sound in my 64XX, as it gives me the exhaust I was looking for and the whistle is a close as dammit. Controllabilty of the mechanism is also important. 

I have 'Hall' soundfiles in four of my locos and not one is a Hall class locomotive. Three come from one supplier while the fourth is from another and the the two types have nothing in common. The odd one out will either find its way into a suitable loco one day or will be re-blown. The sole 'Hall' in my fleet currently has sound from a Hawksworth 94XX....!  It may sound like heresy on some planets, but I am looking for reality within the limits of present-day DCC soundfiles.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not heresy at all in my book, coachmann sir, the best sound is the one you think sounds most like the real loco!  As I say, I am a DC Luddite because firstly I cannot afford DCC and secondly, probably the more persuasive argument in my case, I don't understand it.  

The sharp blast of a GWR loco is quite distinctive to that company, and is, as far as my limited understanding of these matters goes, a result of the use of Stephenson valve gear with a long piston stroke.  I would suggest that the reason 14xx/64xx type exhaust sound a little more 'lightweight' is because they are; the boiler, cylinders, piston stroke and physical volume of exhaust steam being ejected is smaller than other classes.  I would expect a 16xx to sound much the same.

Standing at Landore West Junction some years ago listening to 6024 pulling 11 bogies up Cockett Bank was an illuminating auditory experience, every exhaust beat from moving off at High Street until the train disappeared into Cockett tunnel being clearly audible above the noise of a busy city.   Any DCC speaker that could produce that amount of bass and volume would get my respect!

• Like 1

Have you tried a Hornby or maybe a Bachmann pocket?

I have had this problem with a Hornby Britannias where I mislaid the Hornby pocket and I tried fitting a Bachmann pocket - which just would not stay in place.

Ray

I broke either a Hornby or Bachmann pocket (can't remember which) on a wagon while trying to adjust it because it would not 'park' dead central making coupling up difficult, then found that spares I had of the other makes wouldn't fit. Couplings would fit into pockets OK, but pockets wouldn't fit into part fixed to chassis. Seemed pointless copying the method of fixing the pockets if they aren't exactly compatible.

My 57XX Pannier has Digitrains ZS012A sound in it piped through a YouChoos Flame10 cube speaker. I had intended removing it to put in the Dean Goods but I was talked out of doing this becasue a lot of time and trouble had gone into fitting it in the first place. 

I could of course ordered a replacement ZS012A 'Hall' sound (it sounds particularly suited to the Pannier IMO), but I finally settled on sound for a 56XX because of its deeper exhaust.  So the Dean Goods should be making noises before long.

Regarding NEM sockets, yes they do vary......I learned the hard way when fitting Kadee couplings and was replacing the 'droopy' NEM sockets.

Well I am glad to say that the model referred to in the Hatton's thread arrived safely and on time!

What a lovely model and a beautiful runner, well done Oxford.

Boy that cab is small and open though and I could not bear running this loco for long without a crew. Spent quite a while puzzling over fitting the crew and finally decided to try and glue the fireman's front foot on to the tender with his rear foot filed down a little so it was not fixed and the loco cab floor and fall-plate could slide under the foot when traversing curves.

Works like a charm, hope this idea helps others.

Sorry about the less than perfect photo.

Back to playing trains...........

post-3148-0-14761100-1509471387_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Dean Goods fitted with YouChoos 56XX sound on a Zimo645 decoder. The speaker is a YouChoos Flame10 (10mm high) and a smallish 'stay-alive'. This installation was made possible by completely removing the coal well (under the coal) and the 8-pin socket, in other words, it was hard-wired. The 56XX sound was chosen for its deep exhaust (I avoid those lightweight chaffy exhausts). 

The video commences on a light engine exhaust (F-key #5). With this key cancelled, full exhaust was used to start the train out of the yard....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgCvZDZnUpg&feature=youtu.be

Nice  video  great  sound,

Re  the  background, it  looks  familiar,  or  is  it  just  me!!?  

• 2 weeks later...

The Dean Goods Tender is somewhat smaller than the one on the Dukedog. I believe this might affect which sound decoder it will take....

WEB Dean goods 8.jpg

WEB Dean goods 9.jpg

Finally, out on the line doing what it was designed to do.....

WEB Dean Goods 10.jpg

Hi Coach,

Would the Dean 3000g tender like the one behind Bachmann city of Truro be accurate for a wider number of dean goods running in the BR era? They are due to release the Collett goods with said tender - unfortunately in GWR green rather than BR black though! Might make a good model if resprayed in BR black?

Hi Coach,

Would the Dean 3000g tender like the one behind Bachmann city of Truro be accurate for a wider number of dean goods running in the BR era? They are due to release the Collett goods with said tender - unfortunately in GWR green rather than BR black though! Might make a good model if resprayed in BR black?

I haven't any books on Dean Goods anymore, so I cannot say.

John Gymer at YouChoos plugged a 648 decoder in a Dean Goods Tender on his website. I prefer the larger 645 decoder and had one hard wired into the small Dean Tender plus a 10mm high speaker and stay-alive. The 8-pin plug is under the water filler so there is no way of increasing height at this point without removing said plug and hard-wiring. But there is plenty of maneuverability under the false coal if the coal well is cut out and then the false coal raised to the the level of the top of the Tender side sheets. It's what I did.

Edited by coachmann

A Dean 3000g was used with DGs in the BR era, but unfortunately not the Dean 3000g that Bachmann has/had behind CoT. (Wrong footplate, wrong shovelplate height, wrong handrails.)

Looks like there's been some tooling mods on Bachmann's forthcoming Collett Goods with a Dean 3000g.

A Dean 3000g was used with DGs in the BR era, but unfortunately not the Dean 3000g that Bachmann has/had behind CoT. (Wrong footplate, wrong shovelplate height, wrong handrails.)

Looks like there's been some tooling mods on Bachmann's forthcoming Collett Goods with a Dean 3000g.

From Harrison and Pocock about half the class had 3000 gal tenders in the 1930s. Agree that no two 3000 gallon tenders look the same. I think Quarryscapes said the same elsewhere. Coach will be getting upset with my OT.

So Adios

Oakhill

• RMweb Gold

When I take things with small screws and other bits liable to ping off at random into completely different space/time continua, I press them into a lump of blu tac (plasticene would be just as good) which lives in the project box, which is quite effective at hanging on to the little bu**ers.

Of course, if you lose the lump of blu tack..

• Like 1

When I take things with small screws and other bits liable to ping off at random into completely different space/time continua, I press them into a lump of blu tac (plasticene would be just as good) which lives in the project box, which is quite effective at hanging on to the little bu**ers.

Of course, if you lose the lump of blu tack..

Mine are all kept neatly in a dedicated box for one particular project, but like your blutac if you lose the box...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, TPH, you win trumps, a house is pretty good.  Schoolfriend of mine's father lost a brand new Vauxhall Viva in Bristol by forgetting not only which floor but which multi-storey car park he'd left it in, which was trumps up til now.  Bristol police phoned him to ask why he'd abandoned it on their patch about 2 weeks later.

How did you recover your lost house?

Ok, TPH, you win trumps, a house is pretty good.  Schoolfriend of mine's father lost a brand new Vauxhall Viva in Bristol by forgetting not only which floor but which multi-storey car park he'd left it in, which was trumps up til now.  Bristol police phoned him to ask why he'd abandoned it on their patch about 2 weeks later.

He was probably related to the woman I recently encountered in Southmead Hospital's new multi storey. She didn't know the model, reg number, or even the colour - only the make, because of the key! I left her to it...

• RMweb Gold

How did you recover your lost house?

Err, I went home.... Now I remember, it was a bit embarrassing. I learned a lesson that fateful day. Don't go drinking, and fall asleep on a train to Treherbert. Strange looks from innocent neighbours....

Small screws of any size have an inverse ratio. The smaller the screw, the higher the likelihood of it 'pinging' off into the far distance. I'm pretty sure that some clever designer puts a small spring underneath the thread. As you get to the end....... Ping and goodbye!

Ian.

I

• RMweb Gold

No, they are stolen by invisible Space Elves from another dimension, and, using advanced matter-altering technology unavailable to humans, returned to their owners as wire coat hangers or bent nails.

I would never recommend getting a train or any other form of transport to Treherbert, never mind falling asleep on it; surprised nobody stole your shoes...

I would never recommend getting a train or any other form of transport to Treherbert, never mind falling asleep on it; surprised nobody stole your shoes...

I wouldn't be: they have no use for them... :nono:  :tomato:

Tony

Edited by Prometheus