Mounting plaster castings onto ply

spikey

I'm in the midst of casting sections of a 00 retaining wall, which I want to assemble permanently onto a length of 6mm ply before finishing off and painting it.  This is so I can do it on the bench rather than having to lean over a baseboard to get at it.

However, the castings vary slightly in thickness, so the plan is to line them up face down, apply some kind of gap-filling adhesive to the backs, then squidge the strip of ply down onto them.

This is uncharted territory for me, though, and all I can think of is No More Nails.  Anybody know what the odds are on that working?  Is there something more suitable?

I would have thought No Nails was ideal , since it has been formulated to stick just those kinds of materials together .

That's what I was thinking, but I've never actually used the stuff.  I've been a bit cautious about modern adhesives ever since I first saw Gorilla Glue advertised as "incredibly Strong, 100% Tough, For The Toughest Jobs On Planet Earth".  Then I picked up a bottle of it in Homebase and read what it says on the label - "Not recommended for structural or load-bearing applications".  So it's "tough", but not that tough ...

Same answer, but you can also used Titebond wood adhesive, with a spot or two of filler added to thicken it up.  The same can be done to PVA,  the thickener can be talc or fine sawdust, or pollyfiller, Tetrion, or even plaster of paris. These combinations set like rock, and will grip the wood base.

That's what I was thinking, but I've never actually used the stuff.  I've been a bit cautious about modern adhesives ever since I first saw Gorilla Glue advertised as "incredibly Strong, 100% Tough, For The Toughest Jobs On Planet Earth".  Then I picked up a bottle of it in Homebase and read what it says on the label - "Not recommended for structural or load-bearing applications".  So it's "tough", but not that tough ...

Don't knock Gorilla, by the structural and load bearing they are referring to house construction!, load bearing beams, and wall fixtures,

Gorilla is a form of expanding PVc, setting by moisture, like cavity wall insulation. It expands and fills and glues very well indeed. but it is expensive, messy, and has a limited time for use after the seal is broken. But it is a great wood repair glue.

I would use plaster of Paris to fill and stick to the board

Now why didn't I think of that?  You're right, it does stick like the proverbial to a blanket, and I'm bound to have enough left over to give it a whirl.  And even if it doesn't stick well enough, at least I'll have levelled up the backs of the separate casts :)

Now why didn't I think of that?  You're right, it does stick like the proverbial to a blanket, and I'm bound to have enough left over to give it a whirl.  And even if it doesn't stick well enough, at least I'll have levelled up the backs of the separate casts :)

Mix in a dash of PVA, improves the grip no end.........same with Polyfiller and Tetrion

Not seen this mentioned yet.  I've used a low melt glue gun to fix plaster castings to ply and there have been no problems taking the layout to 28 shows.  I've also fixed them to the expanded polystyrene (scrap packaging) scenery sub base in the same way.  The glue gun will come in handy for lots of other scenic work.  The key thing for scenic work is that it is of the low melt type, these usually have glue sticks which are oval in section.  'Normal' glue guns have round section ones.  Craft shops like Hobbycraft sell them as they are deemed safer for children to use.  They are simple in design so are also comparatively cheap.

Tony Comber

• 2 months later...