End to End layout Vs. Circuit

Guest ConventSiding

Guest ConventSiding

Is there any merit in an L-shaped layout measure 2.5m x 1.6 with a turntable at one end and a fiddle yard at the other end, when I look at the possibility of a complete circuit measuring 2.5 x 1.6. Since I may like to display the model sometime in the future I have to consider, getting it in and out of a new shed and portability.

Edited by ConventSiding

Guest ConventSiding

At the moment, building GNRi stock is of more interest to me than a busy layout. I may well opt for a modular end to end U-shape with a hinged section to complete the circuit. Baseboard widths measuring no more than 300-350mm.

You don't mention which scale you are working in, so it is difficult to resolve your problem. However I would point out that there is going to be little or no space inside a continuous layout, making exhibition operation very difficult, as would be getting access to anything in the centre of the layout. Also, with a round layout with reasonably generous curves, there will be only a short "straight" section between the two ends, although I am not sure how your L-shaped layout was going to work if you are modelling in 4mm, either.

Guest ConventSiding

Nick, I am working in 4mm scale and will be using Code 75 rail throughout. I agree, it is not the biggest of layouts, however it gives me peace of mind that I have also created workshop space in the same area.

• RMweb Gold

At roughly 8' x 5' (I had to convert it to envisage it) I'd think a U-shaped Terminus - FY is probably the best use of the space - having even 2' radius curves in each corner would leave precious little straight track on an oval. 

The problem with dual purpose home/exhibition layouts in general is that in one context they will be viewed from the opposite side to the other.

One solution is to make the corner baseboards in such a way that they can be swapped/reversed to enable the inside to become the outside for exhibition purposes.

John

Guest ConventSiding

John, Good points here. I was conscious about the fact that on the exhibition circuit I would have to think about viewing positions. In light of this, it may well be that this layout will have to be viewed 'on-line' thus become a fixed one only, ruling out exhibition, which doesn't bother me. Thanks for raising a good point.