Train Simulator sounds - usable in our models?

Weatherman

I stumbled across some Train Sim videos showing new GWR locos etc and was particularly impressed with the recorded sounds used.  Realistic with good depth of tone (inside cab sounds particularly of note with firebox door open and general wheel rumble etc) and idly wondered if these sounds, although in a totally alien to me format, could be converted somehow for use in our chips. Daft idea? :scratchhead:

The "Armstrong powerhouse" train simulator locomotive sounds, are one good example of excellence, but the DCC chip and speaker in the models, is often, just a tiny piece if kit compared to the electronics inside a computer and I guess there would probably be some issues with the DCC technology at the present time, but no doubt, in, say, ten or so years things will have improved.

I love hearing the "windcutter" 16 tonners on the track joints at the Great Central and if DCC could replicate the sound of those, I would be absolutely delighted. (there's a few videos of the preserved, 16 tonners, on youtube for anyone not old enough to remember them in BR days)

The "Armstrong powerhouse" train simulator locomotive sounds, are one good example of excellence, but the DCC chip and speaker in the models, is often, just a tiny piece if kit compared to the electronics inside a computer and I guess there would probably be some issues with the DCC technology at the present time, but no doubt, in, say, ten or so years things will have improved.

I love hearing the "windcutter" 16 tonners on the track joints at the Great Central and if DCC could replicate the sound of those, I would be absolutely delighted. (there's a few videos of the preserved, 16 tonners, on youtube for anyone not old enough to remember them in BR days)

Ah yes , a rake of 16 or 21 ton mineral wagons or a train of 12 ton vent vans .

It can only be a matter of time before it becomes reality ,

You have the copyright issue as the recordings are the copyright of the owner/recordist.

You will need their permission to use them.

Wiggy.

I'd fully expected that would be the case but I was more intrigued by the quality and variety of sounds I heard and was wondering if the creators of these might consider using them to program DCC chips as well as just  computer train simulators. Or maybe they already do?

Some branches of our hobby interests rarely cross paths - new techniques to us can have been commonplace in, say, military modelling for years whereas we'll only have heard of said techniques by chance. It would appear the sounds used in Train Simulator (there are other simulators, of course) are loco specific rather than generic and a lot of effort has been put into their production and incorporation into the 'game'. It would be great if such sounds could be adapted for our purposes too.

Indeed they are! Richard Armstrong and I have been commissioning and carrying out recording sessions together for many years now. With the possible exception of in-cab sounds we’re both after the same high quality sounds so cost sharing makes complete sense. And because we operate in different markets we don’t tread on one another’s toes, commercially. If you have a listen to some of Richard’s videos on You Tube and compare them with mine you’ll come across many similarities. Here’s a video of the two of us at the Spa Valley Railway recording their Thumper, the sounds of which now grace many Kernow Thumpers throughout the land;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_j7DKxGhc

Bif

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed they are! Richard Armstrong and I have been commissioning and carrying out recording sessions together for many years now. With the possible exception of in-cab sounds we’re both after the same high quality sounds so cost sharing makes complete sense. And because we operate in different markets we don’t tread on one another’s toes, commercially. If you have a listen to some of Richard’s videos on You Tube and compare them with mine you’ll come across many similarities. Here’s a video of the two of us at the Spa Valley Railway recording their Thumper, the sounds of which now grace many Kernow Thumpers throughout the land;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_j7DKxGhc

Bif

What a great insight in to how you record the sounds Bif  :good: