ADK's Workbench

ADK92

I think to paint the signs. I'd spray them black first, then dry brush white onto the raised portions.

This seems to have worked out well. Thanks. The smaller signs for the toilets still need a bit of work because the text is quite small on them.

I've had a few days off work so I've made a start on the signal box.

I've taken the Ratio GWR signal box kit and built a new base for it with spares from the Wills station kit.

I know Ratio kit is a slightly larger box than the one that was at Upton but I think it'll just about pass.

post-25942-0-61665500-1513343644_thumb.jpgpost-25942-0-62837500-1513343649_thumb.jpg

I've built the porch from 1mm foamex board. I work in a printers and there tends to be loads offcuts. The foamex is a rigid board but can be easily embossed with a ruler and the back edge of a scalpel blade.

post-25942-0-22028200-1513343656_thumb.jpg

Roxey Mouldings also do a brass etch of the correct style of bargeboards, so an order was placed for some today.

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!!

Wow, the last few weeks have flown by. Hopefully everyone had an enjoyable christmas. I have to admit I got very jealous of my father on xmas day. My dad models in O gauge and my mum and I teamed up to get him a Dapol GWR Autocoach. It's a very impressive model. I only wish I had the space and money to model in O gauge. Anyway, dad was chuffed with it.post-25942-0-69872600-1514998512_thumb.jpg

Seeing dads Autocoach has made me want one in OO. I've got a Bachmann Hawksworth Trailer and a few years back I modified an old Airfix Trailer using the Dart Casting kit. I really enjoyed modifying the Airfix coach and have decided to have another go (I made some errors on the first one, live and learn). I'm currently collecting the bits needed and hope to start it soon. My dad has also kindly lent me his copy of MRJ Issue 9 which talks about using the Airfix coach and the Dart Castings kit. With this to hand, hopefully second time round I shan't go wrong.   

The signal box is also progressing. The interior detail is slowly being painted. Bargeboards arrived from Roxey Mouldings and were duly fitted.

I'm currently toying with the idea of adding lighting as you cant really see the interior detail. I've had the idea of fitting a 4 function decoder in the base of the box to control the interior lighting, possibly a firebox flicker in the stove and maybe even and smoke generator in the chimney (although this one might not happen). I could then just wire the box straight to the track, or have an on/off switch in between and control it directly from my DCC controller like I would a normal loco. Would love to know everyones thoughts on this.

post-25942-0-26666500-1514998519_thumb.jpg

Also, the news from Dapol about a new 43xx Mogul and Large Prairie have got me very excited. Must start saving!!!

ADK

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get the rest of the signal box painted. It is nearing completion, it's still missing the guttering. The stairs, roof and top half of the box are not yet glued on and are just positioned for the picture. The wires out the back are for the lighting. I decided to light the box with a single white LED and I also added a small orange LED in the stove. I'm yet to buy a decoder for the signal box, but in time I plan to add one in order to get the flicker effect for the stove. 

post-25942-0-75058300-1515934834_thumb.jpg

post-25942-0-36273300-1515934847_thumb.jpg

ADK 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The signal box has been put on the back burner for a while, I fancied getting stuck into some brass work again. I've since made a start on the Autocoach I mentioned in post #27. Having read the piece in MRJ 9 I've decided to model an A28 trailer, the 7ft bogies give it a more antiquated feel, which I seem to like. 

I've started on the under-frame by cutting out all the unwanted plastic bits and replacing the original floor with a new piece from 0.5mm brass. The bogies are from MJT with their own white metal sides. These alone add considerable weight to the coach. The bogie mounting points were marked and drilled in the new floor. 

post-25942-0-77097700-1516822362_thumb.jpgpost-25942-0-43785400-1516822369_thumb.jpg

It does look odd with no truss rods in place. These will eventually be made up from 1mm x 1mm brass angle and soldered to the floor. 

This is the bogie for the driving end, the guard irons were found in the spares box and the sand pipes are from 0.45mm wire.

post-25942-0-48536700-1516822355.jpg 

That's all for now

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 4

Last night the missus was out so I had an evening all to myself. I cranked up some Def Leppard and got stuck into making the truss rodding. The Dart Casting kit and MRJ 9 both contain scale drawings of the under-frame. Using these I marked up the 1mm x 1mm brass angle and cut all the bits to size before I started soldering. All seem to go together pretty well, although I was having a nightmare trying to get the solder to flow (not enough heat I think), so please excuse the poor looking joints on to the coach floor, these will get tidied up, but in any case they will be hidden behind the sole bars.

post-25942-0-58460800-1517003921.jpg

I then made a start on the battery boxes, these simply fold up and solder together. The grab handles are then added.

Before and after shot.

post-25942-0-74187500-1517003928.jpg

This evening I folded up and added the three v-hangers. I also decided to tackle the doors at the driving end. The Hornby/Airfix model has recessed drivers doors, these were on the A30, but not the A28. The A28 had flush doors. Using a piercing saw I carefully cut down the edges of the old doors. Only the sides needed cutting as there was no plastic at the base of the doors connecting them to the floor. (Removing both sets of doors does leave the driving windows quite vulnerable as there is only a small piece of floor holding these in place.) Once both doors were out I tided up the opening and then set about making a new set of doors. I draw up a template on paper and copied this on to some 1mm thick plastic. This was then cut out. I found some etched drop-lights in the spares box so these were glued onto the inside of the doors. On the inside base of the doors I added an extra piece of 1mm plastic to thicken them up a bit. This allowed me to sand down the doors so they matched the tumblehome. The doors were then glued in place and then sanded flush. I also removed the moulded plastic grab handles either side of the doors, these will get replaced with the etched ones in the Dart kit.

post-25942-0-75748100-1517003935.jpg

This is how it looks this evening.

post-25942-0-80152800-1517003944.jpg

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 6

Evening all. I've nearly finished the A28 Autocoach. Over the weekend I managed to get the all of the under-frame made up. I started off by making up the steps which are in the Dart kit. These are a lovely bit of engineering. Really simple to go together and make up into a nice looking set of steps. 

post-25942-0-08809300-1517339780.jpg

I then moved onto the brake gear and auto gear. I decided to have a go at making some coil springs for the brake rodding. The kit comes with the swing hangers for the auto gear but no coil springs. I started off by using some old buffer washers (if that's what they are called) as the base for the coil springs, this gave me a large surface to solder to the under-frame. I soldered some 0.3mm through the hole and added and added an old buffer spring that had been found in the spares box. I then soldered a small handrail knob to the top and that was it. Four of them got made up and this is how they looked.

post-25942-0-72671400-1517339787.jpg

Not sure if it was worth it though. 

I also made up the etched steps that locate in the four corners of the coach. These felt a bit flimsy and looked prone to getting broken so I soldered some 0.5mm wire to the backs of them to give a bit of strength. Holes were drilled in the under-frame to help locate the steps. 

post-25942-0-09543700-1517339795.jpg

I glued on all the cast white metal fittings, I wasn't confident soldering them on. The brake gear was soldered on though using 0.5mm wire along with the auto gear using 0.7mm wire. I've just noticed as well the belt for the dyno needs adding. 

post-25942-0-97692800-1517339807_thumb.jpg

post-25942-0-41813700-1517339821_thumb.jpg

The body detailing was easy enough. Scrape of the bits of plastic you don't need (using a sharp scalpel), drill new holes and glue on the etched parts. post-25942-0-79597700-1517339830.jpg

Everything just needs a good clean and then it's ready for some primer. 

ADK

• Like 7

So, the other day I purchased one of Oxford Rails GWR 6 Wheel Toad brake vans. I had read through some of the comments on RMweb and knew about the long list of faults before deciding to purchase. None of what got mentioned put me off as I enjoy taking an r-t-r model apart and modifying/detailing it. This is what I intended to do with this van. 

First things first was to take it apart. Turning the van over, I removed the brake rigging at either end and popped out the tension lock couplings. This revealed two screws. I removed the two screws and thought the chassis would just come away from the body. It didn't. After a few minutes I realised you also have to remove the buffers. In fact once you have the chassis and body separate, it is only the buffers that hold the chassis in place. The screws are there to keep the interior in place.

First thing I done was remove the central window at the back of the van. This got replaced with a spare louvre door that was left over from a Parkside banana van.

It needed a bit of fettling to get it to fit, but the planks seemed to line up well. I also added the glazing bars in other windows using some 0.5mm x 0.5mm plastruct. 

post-25942-0-14306000-1517839854_thumb.jpg  

On the interior I decided to swap the inner and outer sandboxes around. These were just sliced off with a scalpel and glued back in place.

post-25942-0-44369600-1517839838_thumb.jpg

On the chassis I felt it wasn't worth replacing the middle swing link hangers for J hangers. I did add some sand pipes using 0.45mm brass and also added the tie bars and the brake rods. 

post-25942-0-80791500-1517839845_thumb.jpg

This will all now get painted using Phoenix GWR Freight Grey. 

Whilst doing all this it reminded me that a few years ago I had started on a similar brake van. Basically I'd purchased an AA3 kit (Connoisseur Models) off ebay and made a start on it, only for me to balls up the white metal W irons and axles boxes. This led to it being chucked in a box and forgotten about. Anyway today I decided to get it out to see what needs to be done to correct it (and get it finished). The van itself was quite tarnished, still had flux residue on it and I had lost a few parts from the kit.

The body was given a good scrub in some soapy water and then using a steel brush in the mini drill was given a good polish.

post-25942-0-48831800-1517839831_thumb.jpg

I think the body is more or less complete and it's just the underside that needs finishing. I seem to have some of the brake shoes but not all of them. I thankfully still have the footboards. 

An order has been placed with MJT for some etched W irons and white metal swing link hangers. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this van. 

More soon.

ADK

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Last few weeks have been mad so modelling has stalled a bit.

Anyway, the AA3 and Autocoach are still awaiting paint. I'll probably wait for some better weather before heading out into to garden to do some spraying. I've started another kit, the Frogmore GWR K36. I'm slowly getting all the parts together for it as the Frogmore etch just contains the body. Unfortunately I'm struggling to upload photos to RMweb at the moment (I spilt cider on my Macbook so I'm using an old windows laptop). I'll be uploading photos to my Instagram for the time being until I sort the computer issue, so please head there to to see the K36 taking shape.

Thanks

ADK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the rest of the parts arrived over the weekend so I could make a start on the K36. I'm using the Frogmore body etch, with a Comet floor (the truss rods will be changed), the bogies, roof, buffers are from MJT and the corridor connectors are from Roxey.

post-25942-0-72957900-1521570518.jpg

So far I've made up the floor, I cut off the Comet truss rods as the are not correct for this coach, but I'm sure will come in handy on another build.

The ends are sides were made up. I really like the all in one drop light/door stop/door hinge/window bar etch that Frogmore have done. It has made for rapid construction as it all just folds up and fits nicely in the fully etched slots on the body side. I did remove the window bars though as I will add that later once painting and glazing has taken place.

Corridor connectors were made up (made these up about 2 weeks ago along with the battery boxes), bit fiddly but I manged to get both of them working and soldered to the coach ends.

post-25942-0-17059500-1521571134.jpg

post-25942-0-86030800-1521570524.jpg 

The sides, ends and floor have all been fitted together and every thing seems to fit. The roof has been cut to length and a bit filing on the coach ends has ensured it fits snug. 

Hoping to get some more done on it tonight.

ADK

• Like 8

I've managed to get a lot more done on the K36 this week. The sides and ends were all made up, they went together really well. The ends panels had these tabs that folded back and soldered to the sides, this made joining everything up really easy. The roof has been cut to size, although I still need to do some work to get it to sit correctly. I've made a start on the under frame. In the end I decided to use the truss rods I'd cut off the Comet under frame as I didn't have any brass bar that was the correct size. The Comet truss rods were straitened out and holes drilled for the queen posts. I had to make up the queen posts and I used the same method described by Stephan Williams in his book The 4mm Coach Part Two. Battery Boxes and V Hangers have been added and I hope they are in the right place, please let me know if they're not.

post-25942-0-33556700-1521979043_thumb.jpeg

Bogies have been started, these are just MJT rigid 9ft bogies with added NEM pockets, which actually work really well.

post-25942-0-90011500-1521979048_thumb.jpeg

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 5

Evening all, I’m wondering if you guys can help me out with the underframe on this K36. I’ve not got any drawings or instructions on how the underframe parts are positioned.

I’m currently studying the pictures on Page 155 - 156 of Great Western Coaches Appendix Vol 2. Judging by the description on pg 155 Figs 366 and 367 seem to be a K36 as the running numbers match that of the description on pg 156 Fig 370 which is also a K36. The numbers of doors and windows seems to differ somewhat slightly from what I have here in model form, although the positions seem to match. I’m assuming that because they are ex ambulance stock that have been converted not all of them will be the same.

Looking at Figs 367 and 370 there looks to a gas cylinder under the guards door... am I correct in thinking this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ADK

• 1 month later...

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten this thread. Just not had an awful lot of modelling time due to the Air Training Corps taking up most of it recently. 

The Toad, K36 and A28 should all be getting painted this weekend (hopefully) and I can then get on and get them finished. 

The other week I was tidying up some of my loco boxes and came across a Bachmann 4MT I'd purchased a few years back. There were a few bits that had been knocked off over the years so I thought it a nice little weekend project to tidy the thing up and practice some weathering techniques.

I've added a new smoke box door dart, new steps, made some cylinder cocks out of copper wire, added the small red wheel on the lubricators, added a steam lance valve to the smoke box, added a crew and painted the interior.

Results are below. Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

ADK

post-25942-0-59428700-1525974122_thumb.jpeg

post-25942-0-22788700-1525974129_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

So with the nice weather last weekend I managed to get outside and get the K36, the A28 and the AA3 toad in some primer.

All three were primed with Halfords etching primer. The K36 and the A28 then had their underframes sprayed with Halfords matt black. I have had some slight over spray on the K36 where the tape didn't quite sit flush around the hinges. Hopefully I'll get round to painting the chocolate and cream this weekend. 

post-25942-0-69986600-1526579364_thumb.jpg

post-25942-0-50629800-1526579357_thumb.jpg

The AA3 meanwhile has had its top coat applied using Pheonix paints GWR Freight Grey. The roof and handrails were then painted white and transfers applied from the HMRS range. The guard is from Dart Castings and is supposed to be a signalman, but I think he looks right at home in the Toad. I'm currently waiting for the PVA to set around the glazing and then the roof can be stuck down. 

post-25942-0-32977900-1526579349_thumb.jpg

ADK

• Like 3

I’ve managed to get the Toad all finished off. It has been weathered using some thinned down Pheonix paints Frame Dirt and some Humbrol weathering powders. I’m rather pleased with the results considering I’d consigned this kit to the “I’ve fudged it up and no longer want to finish it” pile.

The K36 and A28 have also had a coat of cream applied. Currently drying in the sun awaiting a second coat.

ADK

post-25942-0-62332100-1526737683_thumb.jpegpost-25942-0-25791300-1526737697_thumb.jpegpost-25942-0-43469700-1526737707_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

This week has been spent trying to finish up the 2 coaches I still have on the go before starting anything new, although a V5 PLV has been purchased. The K36 and A28 had four coats of Pheonix paints GWR cream applied. They then had two coats of Pheonix paints GWR chocolate applied. Everything was brush painted.

I decided to concentrate on getting the K36 finished first as there seemed to be a lot less to do on it. The drop lights were picked out in mahogany, a very time consuming task that requires a lot of concentration.

I started to apply the lettering using HMRS pressfix transfers and I’m currently awaiting a set of transfers for the waist lining.

The interior was painted (forgot to take pictures of it) and fitted along with the glazing and window bars. The roof was then stuck down using PVA. The roof was secured with rubber bands whilst it dried.Here it is whilst it was drying:

post-25942-0-76656000-1527416956_thumb.jpeg

With the roof drying I made a start on weathering the bogies and making sure they ran properly.

Late last night the rubber bands came off and I bent up the four hand rails that go from the coach ends to the roof. These were then painted and the bogies reattached and here it is this morning:

post-25942-0-72345100-1527416977_thumb.jpeg

Once the waist lining transfers have arrived I can get on with adding the door and grab handles.

On a side note the brake van that got finished in my last post took a bit of fall yesterday when my girlfriend accidentally knocked it off the shelf it was on. How this happened I have no idea. Two broken buffers and a bent foot board. All is forgiven though and the damage has been fixed and it’s back in traffic.

ADK

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The K36 is finished! The waist lining was completed using transfers from Modelmaster. Door and grab handles were then applied.

The whole thing was given a coat of Matt varnish and then I started weathering. The underframe and bogies are a mix of Pheonix paints Track Dirt and Frame Dirt lightly washed on. Once dried I then dry brushed a few light rust shades on. The body below the waist line was given a light wash of frame dirt that was then removed using a cotton bud to leave just enough pain in all the joints and panelling. On the cream I used thinned down Pheonix Paints roof dirt, applied with a fine brush to all the doors gaps and around the panelling. The excess was then removed with a cotton bud again.

post-25942-0-48605800-1529157637_thumb.jpegpost-25942-0-65750800-1529157655_thumb.jpegpost-25942-0-90973300-1529157665_thumb.jpeg

Have to say I’m very pleased with the way this one has turned out.

The Autocoach is progressing slowly, because it has the double waist lining it’s taking a while to get it all straight. Plus there is a lot of detail on the ends that the transfers need to fit around. Should be finished soon.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

ADK

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the lack of updates recently.

I’ve finally got the Autocoach finished, the lining took a while to get sorted. Just needs a light weathering now.

post-25942-0-85371900-1532867809_thumb.jpeg

I’ve also built a V5 PLV from a Ratio Coach kit and Shire Scenics Sides. The Shire Scenics parts fitted together really well and the build progressed very quickly. I completed this back at the start of July but have only just found time to post about it.

For the underframes I used MJT rockers and cast white metal springs and J hangers. The vacuum cylinder was a nice little brass kit from Frogmore.

post-25942-0-15907300-1532868059_thumb.jpeg

These are the end panels made up:

post-25942-0-71628200-1532868071_thumb.jpeg

Unfortunately these are all the pictures I have of the build as it went so quick I forgot to take anymore. Here it is all finished:post-25942-0-95436700-1532868082_thumb.jpeg

At present I’m currently building some LMS/MR wagon kits to add a bit of variety to my wagon fleet. Will post some pictures once completed.

ADK

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update if anyone is still interested. I've been building some LMS/MR wagons just to add a bit of variety to my wagon fleet. These are just standard Parkside/Cambrian kits with HMRS Transfers. A few mods were made to the brake van, I carved off the moulded on lamp irons and replaced them with some brass ones. The moulded stove pipe was also replaced with brass. The plastic buffers on all the wagons were replaced with metal ones. My knowledge on LMS/MR wagons is limited but I've hopefully got the colours/lettering correct. 

post-25942-0-18921400-1537007601_thumb.jpg

Back at the start of September I managed to get a rather cheap Bachmann 57xx Pannier off a well known auction site. It has the modern chassis but not dcc ready, although that won't be a problem. My plan was to add the missing detailing parts and turn it into 5744 with a spark arrestor chimney.

New parts that were fitted are:

-New door dart

-Sand box operating levers

-Added missing lamp irons

-Made dummy inside valve gear

-New cab doors

-Added the grab handles above the front steps

-Etched plates

-Spark arrestor chimney

The chimney itself isn't glued on. So should I want to revert it to a normal chimney one day, I can. Everything got a new coat of paint and transfers. Figures are from the Modelu range and are rather good. 

post-25942-0-61429900-1537007595.jpg

I've also made a start on the signals and token apparatus for my future layout.

post-25942-0-64372300-1537007606_thumb.jpg

The signals are wooden post ones from MSE. The taller one on the left is the number 23 on the diagram below and the one on the right is number 3 on the diagram. 

post-25942-0-58903500-1537006752_thumb.jpg

Both are working and I've purchased the signal servo kits from Express Models. There is a video on my instagram of it working. The white metal finials and signal lamps have been replaced with ones from Modelu. The lamps will be illuminated using some micro LEDs. 

And the token apparatus:

post-25942-0-23017600-1537007613_thumb.jpg

I'd purchased the kits a few years when Mainly Trains was still going. So far I've built the set that goes next to the signal box on the up running line. The kits have been modified and the net replaced so that it represents the type used at Upton. There is a digram on page 106 of GWR Branch Line Modelling Part 1 of the system.

There are a few more pictures of the above on my instagram. 

ADK

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The K36 is finished! The waist lining was completed using transfers from Modelmaster. Door and grab handles were then applied.

The whole thing was given a coat of Matt varnish and then I started weathering. The underframe and bogies are a mix of Pheonix paints Track Dirt and Frame Dirt lightly washed on. Once dried I then dry brushed a few light rust shades on. The body below the waist line was given a light wash of frame dirt that was then removed using a cotton bud to leave just enough pain in all the joints and panelling. On the cream I used thinned down Pheonix Paints roof dirt, applied with a fine brush to all the doors gaps and around the panelling. The excess was then removed with a cotton bud again.

attachicon.gif9F966147-8C28-4ADA-A04F-33DDF6FCEA5D.jpegattachicon.gif3CA56215-E2EB-4E37-B723-C1CD2997EE1A.jpegattachicon.gifAA2B6F6D-B383-45A7-8498-6608C590CDD0.jpeg

Have to say I’m very pleased with the way this one has turned out.

The Autocoach is progressing slowly, because it has the double waist lining it’s taking a while to get it all straight. Plus there is a lot of detail on the ends that the transfers need to fit around. Should be finished soon.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

ADK

I have that same kit, very lovely treatment of the model.

• 4 months later...

First update of 2019. Apologies for the lack of updates in recent months, things have been a bit hectic.

The signals I have been working on got finished at the end of September. They both function with servos fitted to the base and both have Modelu Lamps with micro LEDs fitted. The picture below is before I fitted the lamps.  

post-25942-0-77144200-1547749442_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to my Instagram with a video of them working.

Just before Christmas I took the plunge and decided to purchase one of the Hattons/DJ models 48xx locos. I had been following some of the discussions on RMweb, and had initially been put off purchasing due the inconsistency in running quality experienced by some members. But then Hattons had this huge sale and I thought I'd give one a go and if it didn't work, I could always send it back. A few other items fell in the shopping basket as well, a Hornby Collett Bow End coach and a Bachmann shunters truck. 

The 48xx arrived end of October and I was very please with the way it looked straight out the box. I think the loco looks stunning. I set up my rolling road and, after carefully following the instructions on running the loco in, I added some power.

The good news is, I still have the loco. It's only been running on DC power, but works well in both directions and at various speeds. DCC will be the next step. It's since had etched plates fitted and some loco crew added. Very happy with this. 

post-25942-0-37962000-1547749096_thumb.jpg

For Christmas my girlfriend got me a Frogmore AA6 Permanent Way Van. I didn't take many pictures when building this but it all went together fairly quick and easy. The only struggle was the strapping. I also replaced the etched handrails for 0.3mm wire. I still need to go over this with a fibre brush and try to tidy up some of the soldering. This will then probably get painted when the spring/summer comes and I can get outside and spray it. 

post-25942-0-20031800-1547749108_thumb.jpg

Whilst up at my parents for Christmas, my Dad was showing me his recently built 7mm GWR P7 Ballast Hopper from Southwark Bridge Models. It was an impressive looking model. My Dad told me that they also do a 4mm version and so I decided a P7 would be my first build of 2019.

This is the kit: 

post-25942-0-07574500-1547749118_thumb.jpg

Many small parts on the etch. There have been many swear words and a lot of burnt fingers over the last two weeks, although I'm really enjoying building this kit. The instructions are full of detail with plenty of drawings. I'm building it with DC3 Vacuum fitted brakes. 

The chassis is nearing completion, and just needs some tidying up.

post-25942-0-43688600-1547749126_thumb.jpg

ADK

• 1 month later...

The last few weeks I seem to have got an awful lot of modelling done.

I've finished building the P4 Hopper.

IMG_2366.jpg.5fa83c8cf1d694baf96e3d257caa02ce.jpg

Although a very time consuming build, it was rather enjoyable. I did struggle towards the end of the build with some of the final detailing items. Getting the soldering iron into some rather tight spaces without desoldering other items was tricky, hence why in its current state it doesn't look as neat as I would like. 

I contemplated buying another P4 to maybe make a PW ballast train to go with the AA6 van. Instead I decided to go down the route of upgrading two Cambrian Kits P15 wagons instead. 

IMG_2384.jpg.dc7c6543514f4062340483520a3d7958.jpg 

These have had a new chassis fitted, new brake gear and some new buffers. I've also managed to add the pin and chains to the dropsides.

Another project I've been meaning to start is a detailing project on a Bachamann GWR 2251 Class. This was an ebay purchase a while back and came factory fitted with DCC.

The plan was as follows:

• New lamp irons
  • Add sandbox operating lever
  • Add whistle shield
  • New smokebox handle
  • Remove the awful plastic join line running along the top of the boiler and firebox
  • Create some dummy inside motion using brass rod and plastic
  • Swap the Bachmann tender for a spare Hornby tender and move the DCC socket into the tender ready for DCC sound
  • Add more weight to the loco

IMG_2385.jpg.47e245cecfcd9fb4ac8ec41331a1b08b.jpg

The picture above shows all the mods completed. With the DCC socket removed from the loco, there is plenty of room in the boiler to add more weight, so it should be a good puller. This along with the rest of the wagons is just awaiting painting, it's going to BR Black, with early crests. Not decided on a number yet, but will definitely be a Didcot based loco.

Last weekend my Mum and Dad came down to Wales and my Dad brought me a free kit he'd got with Railway Modeller Magazine of a Wills Grounded Van body. Looking through the books, it looks like a GW Mink V21/V33. I had no intention of using it as a grounded van so decided to have a look through the spares box and turn it into a runner.

The solebars are from the Cambrain kit for the P15 ( it was supplied with short and long solebars and the long ones were left over). W irons and axel boxes are also left over from the P15. The brake gear is made up from parts that didn't get used in the P4 Hopper build.

IMG_2386.jpg.b4a9276c4752ea7a2bd85d0b7ee13576.jpg

Whilst going through my spares box for the bits needed for the van above, I came across some Ratio 4 wheel coach sides, left over from when I used the chassis parts and roofs as donor models for the Siphon C and Parcels Van.

I had a trawl through my books and online to see if I could do a cut and shut and try and utilise them in some way. I had a set of sides for the all 3rd and 3rd brake coaches. Best I could find that would fit the bill was D15 brake. I've never tried cut and shut before but felt if it went wrong they were left over parts anyway and wouldn't matter if I mucked it up. 

Anyway, these are the results so far: 

IMG_2387.jpg.e7f9b3e6d3d944c37b645511329d4004.jpg

Fairly pleased with the results. This is no way intended to be a quality model, purely a skill and a technique I've wanted to try for a while. I also want to use as many spare/left over parts as possible and keep the build as cheap as I can.  Stafford Models on Shapeways do the Dean Bogies, so I might place an order and get a set. 

I can't wait for the nicer weather now so I can get out in the garden to do some spraying.  

ADK