ex-BR Mk1 GSV conversion options

NoelG

From what I can see there were two variants of ex-BR Mk1 GSVs using by CIE and later Irish Rail.  CIE GSV 3185 seems to be the more common BSK variant often seen with rakes of Cravens, and RPSI 3173 GSV which is the rarer BCK variant.

BSK 3185 common variant with Lima Br Mk1 brake 2nd donor shown

GSV_BSK_3185_mods.jpg

BCK 3173 variant with Bachmann Br Mk1 brake corridor BCK donor shown

GSV_BCK_3173_mods.jpg

Has anybody converted either of these BR Mk1 variants?  Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Ok going to have a go at a GSV conversion from a Lima BR Mk1 BSK

Step 1 - Swap double doors with window and file away two unwanted single doors

IMG_3208.jpg

Step 2 - Fill in unwanted door windows and small window

IMG_3217.jpg

Step 3b - fill window + door window with plasticard

IMG_3215.jpg

Step 4 - Use filler to fill the two unwanted door panels and plasticard joins + File out window square for grill

IMG_3219.jpg

Reinforced joins inside body

IMG_3220.jpg

More anon over the coming days . . .

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 4

Side one:  Body modified, now filler and rub down, see blemishes, refill and run down again

IMG_3225.jpg

Humbrol model filler seems to dry in a few hours and then files and sands very easily

IMG_3224.jpg

Side Two: Completed modifications to other side.  Twin doors swapped with window, two single doors filed flat ready for filler. Vent window squared off. Plastic panel RHS inserted to replace double doors moved where LHS 2nd window used to be.  Next step filler, file, sand and first prime to reveal any blemishes.  As these Lima roofs are snap fit and pop on and off really easily will leave interior for another day, but will have to make mods to under frame and source B5 bogies.  Haven't really worked much with plastic card before but enjoying trying to figure it out.

IMG_3227.jpg

This is kind of fun.

• Like 3

Just get Bill Bedford brass sides for your donor coach if your doing 3173.

Hi Mark.  

What donor coach to you recommend for 3173 BCK (ie. Bachmann, Hornby, Lima, other)?  I presume any Mk1 coach type will do.

Thanks

Noel

Edited by NoelG

GSV 3185 (BSK) continues.  First coat of primer to reveal any filling blemishes.  Next step is to fill the blemishes, insert the side grills, cut the water feeds at each end, and Keen systems suspended LMS gangways, B5 bogie kits from Replica, Bachmann oval buffers, modify the roof, add under frame fuel tanks, door steps, spray then decals from Studio Scale models, varnish, etc.  

As this is a Lima donor, the roof is also connected to clear plastic sides for the windows which slide inside the body in one piece, so will cut some of that away, but it will be useful to retain as its an easy snap fit which will allow me to fit out the interior at a later date and perhaps even add some DCC lighting and tail lamps.  Flirting with the idea of leaving one of the guards door open, but might leave that for the next GSV which will be 3173 (BCK) which has a totally different door and window layout.

IMG_3230.jpg&key=20322e878c76f6201300e5e

• Like 3

"the roof is also connected to clear plastic sides for the windows which slide inside the body in one piece"

The Lima windows are horrible, I'm re doing an NIR Catering coach as the old brass sides started to come away from the body.  I intend to insert plastic sheeting for the windows leaving only thin panels of the original Lima glazing to attach the roof to the body.   The build is looking good Noel.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies I posted the continuation of the Lima GSV project in the workbench thread by accident instead of here.

Lima GSV conversion update.  A few more cycles of fill, sand, prime, etc.  Roof more or less finished except for exhaust.  I tried as much was possible with my limited skillset to mimic the roof of the GSV in SSM's photo (inset below).  Added vent brackets, lifting rings, air intake, boiler overflow, etc.

Louver vents and water intakes framed 

gsv_lima_roof02.jpg

Primed once more after sand'n'rub down, almost ready for buffers and gangways, etc.  I've decided not to attempt flush windows as this old style Lima body is quite thick.  May attempt flush glazing with the Bachmann donor for the BCK GSV which will start as soon as this is ready for spraying.  B5 bogie couplings will be changed to Kadee's in the future.  Pondering some sort of internal lighting and tail lamps, but might leave that for 3173 which will be on RPSI duty with the MM Blue Cravens.

IMG_3647.jpg

. . . more to follow in due course.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Started spray job on the GSV using reverse masking for the white and tan/orange bands.  Few flaws to be tidied up before weathering and detailing.

IMG_3826.jpg

The roof is lightly weathered as it might have appeared in its early 1970s delivery state in CIE livery (i.e. before IR/IE filthy tippex era with peeling)

IMG_3822.jpg

• Like 4

GSV slowly but surely nearing completion.  Awaiting decals, a few bits of detailing and weathering, but should be finished early next week.  Keen systems LMS suspended sprung gangways added, replica B5 bogies and somebodies sprung buffers I can't even remember! smile.png The last item I have to source is a model of Noel Enright waving out the window smile.png

IMG_3863.jpg

• Like 1

So while I'm waiting for some bits to finish the Lima GSV conversion off, I have a choice of starting one of two other GSV projects using these donors below.

Lima brake second BSK (top), or the Bachmann BCK (bottom) for a maroon RPSI 3173 to go with the RPSI Craven set?

IMG_3887.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Bachmann for RPSI maroon GSV 3173.  Easier to work with than the Lima and has finer flush glaze windows.  The sides come off so cutting and shutting sections should be easier.

GSV almost finished! smile.png Just the water fillers left and a change of couplings to do.  Lightly weathered using weathering powders applied both dry and some wet using cotton buds to adjust.  Not too heavy as back in the CIE single stripe B&T era they were kept reasonably clean unlike the later IR/IE era.  Gloss varnish ready for SSM waterslide transfers, applied the decals using decalfix, then finally matt varnish to seal.  I will lightly weather the sole bar and undersides to fade the white decals on the chassis. 

IMG_3951.jpg

Shaping and fitting the door grab rails was a challenge with my shaky hands and poor eyesight.  Thanks to Eoin's @murrayec advice I filed off the moulded plastic ones.  Reasonably happy the way it turned out for a first GSV conversion.  Next up a Bachmann BCK conversion to maroon 3173 hopefully over the Christmas holidays.

IMG_3953.jpg

What I've enjoyed most is learning from the mistakes I made along the way.

• Like 3

Stunning work Noel, professional quality and right up there with the greats.

An excellent job Noel, very high standard, I can see you starting brass kits in 2018!, it's the next challenge.

Thank you both for your very kind and encouraging comments. Really enjoying this journey of learning new techniques. I can't see myself tackling brass kits, happy to stick with plastic, resin and 3D for now, but there may be some brass on my next project!  :) Need to walk before I run and take it one step at a time. Finding this very relaxing and therapeutic. The most useful thing I have learned is not to rush, have patience, take enough time, and not be tempted to push on.

BTW, I have replaced the video of the GSV in the earlier post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127375-ex-br-mk1-gsv-conversion-options/?p=2955434