Long Walk Home

KNP

Whilst tidying up the loft found this old painting tucked away in a corner.

attachicon.gifw254a.png

I wonder if it is by an old master.....?

Visit to the Antiques Roadshow called for here, I bet this is worth a pretty penny!

Though I must say that does remarkably look like a piece of Blue Tac attached to the gentleman's foot!

Blimey Kevin,

you better get on Cash in the attic Directly.

I wonder what its worth...... that is as its obviously the steam era we must be talking 'Old Monet'  :jester:  :laugh:

Yours Aye,

giz

no its not...it is November 2018, see the cakebox chat thread where first page somewhere the horses mouth says; 'Closing date TBC but we're looking at the end of November 2018. You have a year.'

I'm glad you posted this as I thought I must have misread the deadline originally and panicked when I saw there was only a week and a day left. A year it is.

Some great modelling (again) KNP. Really like the cornfield, so realistic. 

This time I thought I would leave the non-existent dog at home and take the steps for a walk instead!

So setting them up by the gate, just behind a tree, I climbed to the top and waited with camera poised.

Then a short while later I heard someone walk slowly past, couldn't see his face but it looked all the world to me to be Duncan Bisskitts, a local GWR guard that I can only assume was on his way home from work.

post-8925-0-57747100-1510504397_thumb.png

Surely this can't be what all the fuss was about.....can it?

• Like 12

post-8925-0-97557700-1510510990_thumb.png

I suspect I will be changing the gate sign as I made it out of thin card and wasn't until this picture that I realised how thin the card was as the water colours had made it see through.....

Duncan has had a paint tweak, the bag handle now has straighter edges and he has buttons on his jacket, plus smaller ones on his waistcoat - when I measured the original ones they would have been about 2" in diameter....

Can't touch it as I've started the MDF edging around the base and it's gluing at present....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

This really looks amazing Kevin.

In the 2nd to last photo you posted we see Duncan walking along the lane, and there's some fencing to the right of him. If you don't mind me asking, is the fencing ready-to-plant or scratchbuilt?

Cheers,

This really looks amazing Kevin.

In the 2nd to last photo you posted we see Duncan walking along the lane, and there's some fencing to the right of him. If you don't mind me asking, is the fencing ready-to-plant or scratchbuilt?

Cheers,

Liam

Thanks

It's scratchbuilt using suitable diameter twigs from my bag of bits that I have either cut of or fallen off the sagebrush armatures.

Then my favourite lightweight fishing line glued to give in unevenly spaced 3 strand wire fence.

Painted with Vallejo paints - roof dirt then rust colour with dirty black added wash.

An olive green wash in places to the posts and wires. 

Edited by KNP

Kevin,

I just bumped into Duncans' wife this morning outside the village bakery. She was 'Hobnobin' with that french exchange student Ms 'Bourbon'. ( I think I heard her say her name's 'Chocki' Bourbon ).

Asked if she liked a long french stick, Mrs Biskit said she preferred a 'short bread' instead.

Sounds like Duncan as well as getting the full engish when he gets back from his 'long walk home' he'll also have some fresh crusty bread to boot.

What a 'Jammy dodger'.

Yours Aye,

Giz

After the earlier post and with Duncan gone, I cut back through the field and got this picture in the setting sun.....

Sheep seem to have disappeared as well, I remember now they've gone for a manicure and trim (or repaint as the colours looked wrong!).

post-8925-0-39216600-1510664341_thumb.png

Lighting and it's direction can change the feel of a picture with the shadows giving a different look completely.

This was done by using sunlight coming from one side but the diorama tilted at an angle to get the light to hit the underside of the trees, then cropped to straighten up......and you would never have known!

Fence sign has fallen off too or is this out of sequence......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

Off into the distance Duncan goes, bet he is looking forward to a nice long soak in the tin bath in front of a roaring fire....

post-8925-0-61641400-1510826143_thumb.jpg

Do like these sepia ones as it just makes it feel nostalgic....

• Like 13

One can only dream........

anyway he lives in an old farm workers cottage with thick stone walls and poorly fitting windows so it's very cold inside!

especially by the time he gets home and the kettles have boiled on the range......

• RMweb Gold

One can only dream........

anyway he lives in an old farm workers cottage with thick stone walls and poorly fitting windows so it's very cold inside!

especially by the time he gets home and the kettles have boiled on the range......

Sounds like Lord Arkwright's estate, he was notorious for meanness, when it came to keeping his tenants' cottages in good repair.

His son was even worse, a drunkard and an utter cad, goodness knows how he managed to get a commission in the Royal Navy. It was probably that time that Nelson came to dinner at Cleggington Hall.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like Lord Arkwright's estate, he was notorious for meanness, when it came to keeping his tenants' cottages in good repair.

His son was even worse, a drunkard and an utter cad, goodness knows how he managed to get a commission in the Royal Navy. It was probably that time that Nelson came to dinner at Cleggington Hall.

It sounds like that 'documentary' from the 1980's. I think it was called BRASS.

Andy

• Like 1

One way to get a Sepia look for direct viewing rather than by photoshopping could be to use an over-head light matching the Halogen(?) UK street lighting, the dim orange light seems to wash-out all colours at night. Not practical I fear, certainly exceed the Cake-box size parameters.

A second, possibly more practical, way could be achieved by making a clear plastic cake box, using tinted plastic or with the plastic tinted similarly to car windows.