Long Walk Home

KNP

Here is an unflattering picture of Duncan just wearing a coat of grey paint.

post-8925-0-39416500-1510074173_thumb.jpg

These Modelu figures are just superb and they are so natural in their poses, just can't rate them highly enough (personal view this and no connection with firm).

I don't what it is but for some reason light grey is a great colour to use as a base coat to highlight issues and details on the model.

Please don't ask why he is standing on a piece of wood in the harbour - you know how funny some people can be so just leave him to his ways......

I actually measured it and TZ100 was standing 32mm from him on macro and F8, ISO 400, 2 sec timer and a small one point focus mode centred on his watch.

Had to go back to the old fashion way of placing the model is some blue tack and then paint the shoes later, the little moulded stands that comes with these figures had broken in transit......no harm done to actual figure.

EDIT - the other thing I forgot to point out is that this picture is nearly 4 times bigger than the actual model (depending on what size your are viewing it on of course!!!)

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

Well the adventure continues

This time I just boldly walked down the lane in the direction of someone using some form of cutting implement to trim a cornfield!

Didn't realise that happened in the country no wonder all the crops look level and neat.....

post-8925-0-55176400-1510216849_thumb.png

Well when I arrived there wasn't much to see, just an old railway wagon in a field.

I did hear someone walking towards me so I decided to go back the way I came.

• Like 12

Thanks again.

What I find amazing is that though this currently only 7.5" square how you can make it look much bigger and with many aspects by careful camera angles and lighting.

Duncan is nearing completion, he was painted last night so as now well and truly dry the detail/shadows can now be done.

I need to find some pictures of a GWR guards to see what their uniforms looked like.

How are your many CB challenges proceeding?

• RMweb Gold

Here is an unflattering picture of Duncan just wearing a coat of grey paint.

attachicon.gifP1060449.JPG

These Modelu figures are just superb and they are so natural in their poses, just can't rate them highly enough (personal view this and no connection with firm).

Poor old Duncan is wondering why he feels like he's walking through treacle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nor had I until I saw County Gate by John de Frayssinet at an exhibition and his excellent use of scenery which contained a model railway layout.

The scene is superb and thanks for mentioning the link to the American supplier of sagebrush.

I recall a few years ago when I had one of my layouts at a show and County Gate was also there and John F (Re6/6) and I got talking to JdF, who went on (and on) at length about the merits of sea moss, virtually to the exclusion of any other means of making trees.

John and I tarried with this notion for a while, but were unable at the time to find a source of sagebrush, so John in particular moved on to use other methods, inspired by the work of Gordon Gravett especially, to great effect.

I had been using Seamoss on it's own for quite a while but could never get the results I was totally after, especially for individual trees.

It wasn't until I combined the Seamoss sprigs with these armatures that I ended up achieving what I could envisage in my minds eye.

Even though my hedges are mainly horsehair they are topped in places with Seamoss to get the uneven effect , plus I use them for low plants as well so they appear everywhere......

This is simply stunning. What a lovely model...
It just makes me want to wander down that lane and investigate the van... take some photos etc etc
While Mrs S stands there, looking at her watch, tutting, and mumbling something about how we were supposed to be going for a country walk ;)

It just makes me want to wander down that lane and investigate the van... take some photos etc etc

While Mrs S stands there, looking at her watch, tutting, and mumbling something about how we were supposed to be going for a country walk ;)

Many thanks and hope you can continue your walk without further ado.

If you carry on down the lane and turn left at the crossroads there is a nice old public house, called The Encombe Arms, I believe....so perhaps a chance to smooth some ruffled feathers with a glass of the best local bevy (or two)!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a lane, with a gate and some trees, just like that down here!

No pub at the end of it, though, just more lane, gates and trees.

Seeing this super little scene has made me wish I saw this whole cakebox challenge a bit earlier
There was possibly the most novel use of an old BR van, not too far up the road from me...
And it would have been brilliant to model... if only I had some time to undertake even a small fraction of the modelling I'd like to do.... sigh

Modelling of this standard, and the whole cake-box challenge idea really does spark ideas and inspiration - you need hardly any space,
and you can practice new techniques and skills - all you need is a cake-box, and time :)

• Like 2

Seeing this super little scene has made me wish I saw this whole cakebox challenge a bit earlier

There was possibly the most novel use of an old BR van, not too far up the road from me...

And it would have been brilliant to model... if only I had some time to undertake even a small fraction of the modelling I'd like to do.... sigh

Modelling of this standard, and the whole cake-box challenge idea really does spark ideas and inspiration - you need hardly any space,

and you can practice new techniques and skills - all you need is a cake-box, and time :)

Why not have a go, it ends in Nov 18 if memory serves........

In the words of The Fast Show ............ 'aint modellin' brilliant'!!!!!

Loving the cake box challenge so far boys and girls....... what a fantastic means of getting ideas for those cameo scenes to fill those small areas of our layouts which normally remain a blank canvas.

'Aint it brilliant'.

Yours Aye,

giz

Couldn't find my main camera today so had to go on the Cakebox hunt with an old box Brownie.......

Tried a couple of ways but came across a weiry looking railway worker trudging down the lane!

post-8925-0-67361200-1510318744_thumb.png

Then I nipped around to the other side of the cornfield

post-8925-0-00273900-1510318764_thumb.png

Sun's out here now in Bicester so time for some more pictures using natural light that is streaming through the dining room window.

• Like 7

Lovely photos Kevin,

the black and white images seem to slow the whole pace of the scene down totally as if the culmination of a long working day with the light starting to fail..... or is he returning from the night shift having just seen the arrival of the early milk train and hoping to get home for a cup of tea and full English before the sun gets up?

Wish the image was DCC sound as we could press f--- and listen to that sizzling bacon.... mmm starting to feel hungry myself.

any chance of a few images in Sepia for all us 'Bagpuss lovers'............(Big Yawn).... I've just come over all sleepy.

Yours Aye,

Giz

Giz

Thanks, it's one of those unknown facts, when was this pictures actually taken????

other than 45 minutes ago and then run through Affinity with DAUB Grain filters applied.

I should be able to do sepia, Affinity has an application (just got to remember where it is, last time I stumbled whilst seeing what did what......)

Edited by KNP

Found it but on Serif PhotoPlus X7

Is this the sort of thing?

post-8925-0-04488300-1510321653_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-34715000-1510321667_thumb.jpg

I'm going back to Affinity because I know it's on there just couldn't easily find it and now it's bugging me.......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

Sadly, my life is so busy, I've not had a day off for several months now

Even my last evening off was some 5 or 6 weeks back :O

If it was Nov 18th next year.... I might be in with a shout :(

I was once fairly prolific at this modelling lark, building 3 layouts in 18 months! But I'd be lucky to get time to build one layout (a micro at that) in 5 years,,, 

honestly, that would even be pushing it lol

If only.... if only (he says, fingers crossed)

I think I've got a night off, in December... but that's after the deadline :(

Found it but on Serif PhotoPlus X7

Is this the sort of thing?

attachicon.gifw255a.jpg

attachicon.gifw256a.jpg

I'm going back to Affinity because I know it's on there just couldn't easily find it and now it's bugging me.......

Thank you, and.....

Bagpuss, oh Bagpuss,

Old fat furry catpuss,

Wake up... and see this thing that I bring........

It's made in a cake box.....

which fits in a tin.

I know you like railways,

often people say,

the bestest of all............ is Gods' Wonderful  Railway.

Yours Aye,

Giz

• Like 1

Whilst tidying up the loft found this old painting tucked away in a corner.

post-8925-0-12175700-1510326333_thumb.png

I wonder if it is by an old master.....?

Visit to the Antiques Roadshow called for here, I bet this is worth a pretty penny!

Though I must say that does remarkably look like a piece of Blue Tac attached to the gentleman's foot!

• Like 8

Sadly, my life is so busy, I've not had a day off for several months now

Even my last evening off was some 5 or 6 weeks back :O

If it was Nov 18th next year.... I might be in with a shout :(

I was once fairly prolific at this modelling lark, building 3 layouts in 18 months! But I'd be lucky to get time to build one layout (a micro at that) in 5 years,,, 

honestly, that would even be pushing it lol

If only.... if only (he says, fingers crossed)

I think I've got a night off, in December... but that's after the deadline :(

no its not...it is November 2018, see the cakebox chat thread where first page somewhere the horses mouth says; 'Closing date TBC but we're looking at the end of November 2018. You have a year.'

• Like 2