Bachmann GWR 64xx - colour match help sought

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a Bachmann 64xx in GWR green with a view to converting it to a 74xx in the same livery.  Ideally I would prefer not to have to give the loco a full repaint; I will also not be weathering it.  Can anyone recommend a paint that's a close match to the original model?  Again, as an ideal, I would prefer an acrylic paint.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

As the 74xx variant is based on the later series of 64xx, you will need to 'square off' the radius of the cab side sheet where it joins the side of the bunker as the Baccy 64xx represents the initial build of 64xx that had this feature, in common with the 48/58xx and 54xx.  The later variant and 74xx version is similar to the 8750 arrangement.

But you might be able to get away with not having to repaint the model at all, as the rest of the conversion is simply the removal of any parts connected with the auto gear, and takes place on the buffer beams or below the footplate.  So long as you choose a 74xx prototype that is in the same livery with the same lettering, it is simply a matter of fixing new number plates on and renumbering the buffer beams, which are signal red.

If there is repainting of the green to be done, I would colour match by trying an area on the inside of the body moulding before committing myself.  Personally, I use Revell Aqua Colour Matt Black Green acrylic, no. 361-40, for this sort of thing, but colour and perception of it is a very personal thing and I am not claiming that this is the correct colour, only that it 'looks right' to me in a heavily weathered form on an old Airfix large prairie!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

I used Phoenix-Precision 1947 GWR green on my conversion applied using an airbrush to the cab/bunker areas.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1338/entry-18309-newton-abbots-finest7427-finished-conversion-of-Bachmann-64xx-to-74xx/

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice.

The idea for the conversion came from RMWeb, so there has been plenty of good advice about what to do and how to do it; I've also managed to locate a few food photos to show what needs changed.

Thanks for the suggestion about trying out the colour on the inside of the body first; I'll try that, and the paint suggestion.  I'm happy to buy a few different pots of paint because they will always come in handy for something else.

Very much liked the model in the link, too.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hi Alex,

The definitive article on this conversion is in the February 2016 Railway Modeller and is by Tom Foster.

His article covers the three essentials features that need to be modified:-

-Removal of curved fillet between rear of cab and bunker.

-Removal of covers for auto gear from front and rear bufferbeams

-Removal of one of the two battery boxes.

The article also includes a host of other improvements including opening up the cab roof vent, replacement of smokebox dart and adding missing running plate grab rails.

Highly recommended.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

The definitive article on this conversion is in the February 2016 Railway Modeller and is by Tom Foster.

His article covers the three essentials features that need to be modified:-

-Removal of curved fillet between rear of cab and bunker.

-Removal of covers for auto gear from front and rear bufferbeams

-Removal of one of the two battery boxes.

The article also includes a host of other improvements including opening up the cab roof vent, replacement of smokebox dart and adding missing running plate grab rails.

Highly recommended.

Andy.

Total agree with Andy's comments above and it was this article I followed when converting my 64xx to 7427.

There's some inspirational modelling on Tom's blog as well as details of the conversion.

https://tfmodelling.wordpress.com/page/8/

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for all the additional help.  I had a look at the blog, and the work on it is fantastic.  My favourite has to be the model of 7414 that's so filthy that someone has formed the letters 'GWR' in the muck on the panniers!  What a brilliant idea, and with humour too.

Again,  thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the extra information.

As of lunchtime today I now have my GWR liveried 64xx, and a can of Precision GWR 1946-1948 green.  What I need to find now is a suitable number for that particular livery; a supplier of buffer beam transfers and etched nameplates has been found (ModelMaster).

If anyone has the relevant volume of 'The Pannier Papers' are there many images of the post-war but pre-nationalisation liveried locos?  If there is, then I'll pick up a copy from Ian Allan's when I'm in Birmingham next month.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Alex.