This is a project I have been doing for sometime. Originally, I was intending to work on a layout of Tidmouth to Knapford based on the Rev's original 00-gauge railway. As you can see, I went for the original Clive Spong artwork in the later books as that is, what I believe, the most popular with all fans (especially those who've read the books - I know because I'm one of them).

post-32006-0-33758800-1508769839_thumb.jpg

NWR No. 3 Henry was the first character I made back in 2010/2011 as he has always been (and still is) my favourite character. I am rather satisfied with how I did the model and I think I did a good job.

post-32006-0-66997500-1508769958_thumb.jpg

Henry was made from a Graham Farish Black Five. The Stanier tender was replaced with the Fowler tender and the top-feed that was next to the dome was filed away and a new one was made from scratch out of Milliput - the locomotive was the painted in the character's green livery with red lining and the decals were made from scratch. The buffers were then painted silver and the running board was left black as worth all the other models we will then move swiftly along, to...

NWR No. 5 James - need I say more? This model I did back in 2013 - it's pretty good to be honest and I'll explain the reasons why. Also, he is my second-favourite character (probably because his livery reminds me of a certain railway company of the Big Four that I'm a proud die-hard fan of) and this model was a challenge.

post-32006-0-91336700-1508770433_thumb.jpg

James was made from a Graham Farish Fowler 4F. I first bought a Fowler 4F, but I took the chassis off the body in order to work on the body and paint it, but when I put it back, it stopped working (a waste of time and money on my part) so I had to order another one. The tender from it I then kept for another character we'll then come along to, soon. The running-board was extended using plasticard, Milliput and glue for strengthening purposes and a single pony-truck was added underneath making it into a 2-6-0 which really brought out the character pretty much, even if the chimney is a little short, but never mind. After that, the character's red liver was apllied with gold boiler bands and Prussian-blue lining on his sides just like in the later books which I like very much. It looks like a Dalby interpretation mixed with the Spong interpretation, but overall, it runs well like Henry does and I did a good job on it. Decals were made from scratch and added.

NWR No. 2 Edward is also here. He was really the very first character by the Rev himself. This model was completed in 2014/2015.

post-32006-0-86374800-1508771095_thumb.jpg

This character was very hard to do because Edward is a 4-4-0 and the best bet was a Union Mills Fowler 2P 4-4-0 which I altered the running board and tried to make the firebox rounded. The character has a Fowler tender, but that was impossible, so again compromises had to be made. The cab has two windows, so they had to be made as well. I used Henry and Gordon's cab as a resource from memory and Milliput and plasticard was used. Nevertheless, the model looks pretty nice once the blue livery was applied along with red lining and decals made from scratch were added. Not a bad job, if I do say so, myself.

NWR No. 4 Gordon is next and here he is! Completed in 2015 in time for the 70th Anniversary, too...

post-32006-0-27329000-1508771535_thumb.jpg

This model seemed easy but hard at the same time and for obvious reasons; first, the dome was a banjo dome as it was a Graham Farish A3. The tender was removed and the Fowler tender from the previous James model which was aborted ended up with the A3 - or least, A1. The banjo dome was filed away into an original dome. The running board was left out obviously becase of the valve gear and Gordon's rectangular buffers were made from plasticard and painted silver. Once the blue livery was apllied, it seems to bring out the character more and more. The result was satisfactory.

Finally, the No. 1 Engine of the NWR metals...

post-32006-0-51528200-1508771829_thumb.jpg

This wasn't too hard as I had used a Langley Models E2 that somebody built as a kit and sold it for £180 pounds on E-Bay, so I purchased it and got to work on the running board. Instead of taking the body off the chassis for fears that I would go through the same mess with the James model, I then used Milliput to make the running board flat like in the later illustrations. Of course, this does make him prototypical to his real-life counterpart as well as the books rather than the TV Series models. Still, the blue livery was applied along with decals and there we go. Nice job, I think.

Last but not least, one more I completed in 2016:

post-32006-0-56765400-1508772183_thumb.jpg

This one was a challenge as I used an Electrotren 0-4-0 Chassis and a pre-built body- It was difficult fitting it on, but with blu-tack, it does make maintainence easy. Still, not a bad job, I'd dare say, as it does bring out the character more.

Finally, I'll leave you guys with some rolling stock images.

post-32006-0-34802300-1508772410_thumb.jpg

post-32006-0-92512600-1508772456_thumb.jpg

There are some more characters I really want to do like Toby, Montague/Duck, Bear, Mavis, Daisy and others, but then again, those are all pipe-dreams and I'd better think about saving up and investing. Still, such things take time. Let me know what you think of these models, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Cheers!

-Mike.

• Like 3

Loving the idea. Love the models so far but Percy might need a bit more work done, but I can tell its meant to be Percy so thats good enough! I do like how Knapford Junction looks in the RWS books so that might be a good idea, but as always I do my research on the TTTEWikia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the idea. Love the models so far but Percy might need a bit more work done, but I can tell its meant to be Percy so thats good enough! I do like how Knapford Junction looks in the RWS books so that might be a good idea, but as always I do my research on the TTTEWikia.

Thanks very much, but I am satisfied with Percy right now as that was the best that could be done with him. Also, recreating Sodor the way the Reverend himself did is another task in the near future.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank for the link to this LNWR18901910, they're great! Something I'd like to do myself, one day. Have you any Lime and Custard carriages for the Wild Nor'wester? :-)

Also I appreciate the square buffers on No. 4!

Edited by Thunderforge

• 7 months later...

Thank for the link to this LNWR18901910, they're great! Something I'd like to do myself, one day. Have you any Lime and Custard carriages for the Wild Nor'wester? :-)

Also I appreciate the square buffers on No. 4!

Thanks! And yes, I was thinking of such coaches, but the orange-brown ones are the ones I'll be sticking with.

• 4 months later...

How did you make the chassis for James? Was it a set of Pony wheels from a Graham Farish large prairie and the drive wheels from a 4F? Or is it something else. You mention it being a 4F but the pony truck is not told, Along with that do you have more pictures?

Edited by RYAN.NSR

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2019 at 10:00, RYAN.NSR said:

How did you make the chassis for James? Was it a set of Pony wheels from a Graham Farish large prairie and the drive wheels from a 4F? Or is it something else. You mention it being a 4F but the pony truck is not told, Along with that do you have more pictures?

The pony truck came from a Farish Hughes Crab adapted into a Fowler 4F 0-6-0.