Holyhead Breakwater Railway

Charlie586

I thought of a silica sili-cake pun but decided not to use it in the title...

No work done on this as yet, just research, but the idea is to model Prince Albert maybe in 7mm scale but probably in 4mm against either the breakwater or along the line that leads to the old silica quarry and brickworks that is now the Breakwater Country Park. Maybe near the bridge that crossed the road and line would be a good spot for the cakeorama?

We visited there last year so have some pictures of what is left and I later found more on the internet about the breakwater and rather unique looking Prince Albert engine. 

A few good links

The fantastic Spellerweb site http://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/OtherRailways/Silica.html

Part 17 (pdf) on the Jaggers heritage site  http://www.jaggers-heritage.com/industrial-archaeology-of-snowdonia--anglesey.php

I'll try and sketch up a rough plan.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that in the latter of those two links they seem to be under the impression that Prince Albert was still extant in 1945 (seeing as she was withdrawn in 1913)

Intriguing too that one of her sisters may still survive in Brazil (maybe in some private collection with Lew! :D)

post-29975-0-53695100-1509744836.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 5

Thanks Killian for this picture, it's the side I didn't have, and thanks again for the help off-thread.

If Prince Albert did survive until 1945 it's a shame there aren't any pictures of the 30 odd years. 

Also of interest, someone on ebay is selling a 'modern copy' of a different photo which shows the corrugated roof and side in good detail. I presume the side was corrugated to prevent the waves from the breakwater drenching the crew.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-OF-7FT-GAUGE-TANK-ENGINE-OWNED-BY-SILICA-WORKS-HOLYHEAD-ANGLESEY-/272540990330

I've no excuses for not starting now. I've decided on 7mm as it would be tiny in 4mm (even in a cakebox). Still undecided on whether to set it against the breakwater, in front of the bridge or beside the shed. First job will be to make the frames and see if I can cram a smokey Joe motor in, though I think it will be too large.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The first engine for the Holyhead Breakwater was built by Adams & Co., see attached from ‘Road Progress’ published in 1850. I wonder if this engine was used as the pattern for Longridge & Co. as the photos of Prince Albert fit W.B. Adams description very well.

Chris

79607ED5-CB26-4A6B-95DC-19E807B7D47E.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2019 at 15:29, Killian keane said:

Hey Charlie, a few more photos of the prince turned up recently which my be of some interest

Thanks Killian

As you can probably imagine, I kind of never got going with this. Those are very good photos, it's very tempting to put a chassis together and see what happens.

• Friendly/supportive 1