Peak Forest Layout and Stock/Locos

Deltic Man

I had an idea to build an exhibition layout based on the wonderful location of Peak Forest in Peak Dale.  I have seen others try to model this area for obvious reasons and as I am aware Blackburn model club are also doing this area as a layout (named at the moment son of Blackmill I think).  So many times I have thought why bother but then I thought there is room for many versions of this location and everyone can put their own slant on the layout and location. As stated before Rule one applies this is my version.

So here we go after much soul searching and after estimating what  financing would be needed this is what I've come up with.  I hope to update this topic with regular updates on the design and build of the layout, but also showing stock to be run and know doubt looking for insperation from fellow modellors as new chalenges arise with the project.

Eventially the layout will be in a state to show and I hope it does the area justice..

I hope you enjoy the journey

Nik

• Like 3

So here is the detail:-

Layout Name - Peak Forest

Scale/Gauge - OO gauge

Size estimated 31 feet long but to be finalised

Exhibition layout

Type :  end-to end

Era/region/location - late 80's to ealry 2000's

Trackwork - handbuilt on scenic, peco in fiddleyard - handbuilt by Norman Saunders

Buildings - all scratch built by GravyTrain

Base boards - Whiterose modelworks

Rolling Stock - locos modified rtr, wagons are rtr, kitbuilt and scrtchbuilt hopeully in typical rakes as ran in real life (I hope) many detailed and sprayed by Jon at Peakdale works (he also is a regular to Peak Forest so will be used on  consultancy basis also - not sure he realises this as yet)

Edited by Deltic Man
  • Like 5

post-5758-0-53266000-1508787383_thumb.pngThe plan.  I have played with this through more versions than i can remember and we have finally arrived at 90% there with more modifications to come for the quarry loading facility to be developed at a later day.  The key to the layout for me is that it will be built on a gradient which is challenging to say the least and also to add to this is to try and ensure you have as much length as possible to run up the gradient.post-5758-0-53266000-1508787383_thumb.png

This is where i'm up to at the moment

Nik

Edited by Deltic Man
  • Like 4

Nik,

Peak Forest is a location known by many enthusiasts and instantly recognisable , similar to Shap, Tebay, Beattock, Dent and many others.

If you get that 'feel' for the place I'm sure you're onto a winner!

31' long, I'm well jealous!

Good luck with the journey, hope it's a good one.

Karl

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Nik

One issue to consider for any exhibition layout is how it would be viewed by the public. In the exhibition section of this site, a frequent comment is the lack of activity on many exhibition layouts. At 31 feet this would be an expensive layout for many organisers, many would therefore expect it to be entertaining with a steady flow of through trains whilst shunting is taking place. The number of operators needed and design of the fiddle yard will be critical issues to be addressed.

Hope these comments are useful.

Regards

Nick

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Nick

Thanks for your thoughts and you are right it is my frustration at exhbitions where great layouts have nothing moving.  Watch this space on fiddle yard as I will be using a method i've not seen before at exhibitions but I have seen a simlilar theme.

The problem is always getting operators and this will be a challenge that I will need to consider as everyones time is precious these days

Nik

• Like 1

Interesting project Nik a place I know so well. I have often dreamt of a Peak Forest type of layout... It certainly seemed a lot busier back in the 1990s on the few occasions I visited and then more often from around 1996 onwards to present. As with any freight location it has it's share of busy and quiet moments sometimes several hours between moves as my notes attest. Most of the air-braked hopper trains loaded upto 25 wagons with a class 60 depending on the flow so that is a large rake in OO. How will the summit of the line (at the right hand end of your diagram where in real life the lines enter the limestone cutting towards Dove Holes tunnel) fit in? Fiddle yard on the same falling gradient back towards the Great Rocks end?? Plus given that all loaded services depart north (except the Tunstead to Hindlow traffic of course and any diversions via Buxton and LNW lines) it might be best to have two separate fiddle yards to hold the rakes of wagons.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hey Paul

There will be small compromises and the summit and length of train are obvious. As to length who knows until we build it as limitations of loco haulage will impact even the 60 has its limitations. In terms of summit to make it work we will start to flatten at about the signal box I think but a bit of trial and error as always will need to be considered

Nik

Can't wait to see this develop, sooo many layouts now based on this area but dependant on stock and the included incline this will be the one to watch! :)

I'm curtainly following with interest and if its shed free and has the stock what was epic up there i.e PHV ICI's and KPA JGA "correct version etc.... i'll be in love.

Just want to see a Peak Forest layout thats based there, shed free and shows the varied stock even if scratch built and heavilly modified that would be the winner for me anyways.

Thanks

Rich.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning

Latest update and the first signs of the layout becoming real are the initial production of the basboards.  These will form the base on which the gradient will be built but good to see it coming to life

Great job by Whiterose models on their laser cut boards I have gone down this route to try to keep weight down although the small down side is you get slightly move movement in the boards but not a big problem.

Nik

In addition the order has been placed for the ground signals for the new year

post-5758-0-92414800-1510486636_thumb.jpg

post-5758-0-36859000-1510486646_thumb.jpg

post-5758-0-30227100-1510486656_thumb.jpg

post-5758-0-67877900-1510486662_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very much looking forward to watching the development of this layout.

I have amassed a database of 1500 plus reference photos for PF so if you are stuck for reference information , please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Andy

thank you I will take you up on this as it develops there are lots of loco pictures around but i'm interested in track and infrastructure features and the surrunding area

Nik

Interesting project @ it’s a popular idea for a layout as there aren’t that many interesting and picturesque places to model these days.

Here’s a couple from June to whet your apetite further

post-450-0-03700500-1512683552_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-57237100-1512683634_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-40377000-1512683667_thumb.jpeg

No locos !

Thanks Rob D2

Great pictures.  This has sparked questions in my mind are the lights in the yard new or were they the same type in the 1990's - early 2000's if anyone has any pictures this would be a great help?

thanks

Nik

Thanks Rob D2

Great pictures.  This has sparked questions in my mind are the lights in the yard new or were they the same type in the 1990's - early 2000's if anyone has any pictures this would be a great help?

thanks

Nik

The trouble with those floodlights is that they are so incredibly tall that they are nearly always outside the photo frame...

post-27675-0-75923600-1512743701.jpg

post-27675-0-90216000-1512743840_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-05884200-1512743859_thumb.jpg

But..

post-27675-0-11894900-1512743998.jpg

post-27675-0-96950900-1512744094.jpg

The first photo is from the early 90s; the second from my visit on November 2004.

Sorry about the quality, but if you do ask about detail up in the heavens....

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 2

The trouble with those floodlights is that they are so incredibly tall that they are nearly always outside the photo frame...

attachicon.gif2190465960_199bc3afa7_m.jpg

attachicon.gifiPad Camera Roll 2014.07.30 to 31.12. 1534.jpg

attachicon.gifPeak_Forest_(2996619904).jpg

But..

attachicon.gifPhoto 08-12-2010 22 23 50 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifP4090080 (2).JPG

The first photo is from the early 90s; the second from my visit on November 2004.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy 

Your a star

thank you

Nik

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the pipe bridge that went in 2004

attachicon.gif2190465960_199bc3afa7_m.jpg

attachicon.gifiPad Camera Roll 2014.07.30 to 31.12. 1534.jpg

attachicon.gifPeak_Forest_(2996619904).jpg

But..

attachicon.gifPhoto 08-12-2010 22 23 50 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifP4090080 (2).JPG

Cheers,

Andy

I always wonder, how the hell do they change a bulb ?

• Funny 1

Floodlights at Peak Forest: more heat than light?

Another photo from the archive:

post-27675-0-00747900-1512753221.jpg

This photo is from May 1985.

The overall lights are similar to today's, but the lamps themselves have been changed at least once. The current lamps appear rectangular and the array seems to be formed of three pairs.

Those above appear round.

I have a photo from 1994 when there were no lamps atop the posts. I suspect they were either being serviced or updated. Whether they were upgraded again before today I am unaware. 

In answer to Rob I suspect that the array can be lowered as a unit using a pulley at the top and  a cable which runs inside the post. I'm sure someone out there really knows!

Cheers 

Andy

Reflections on Peak Forest: the Peak Line revived 1993 - 2003.

http://www.rmweb.co....on-peak-forest/

Very interested for what you have proposed for the layout, I too am modelling around the 2000 and will certainly be watching with interest. When constructing an exhibition layout, there are many aspects to consider but the one that rattles around certainly in my head, is "how can I make layout stand out from the rest". I think the idea for a quarry is perfect for giving your layout it's own identity and would add operational interest however if you are planning a station, perhaps modelling a depot would be a good side piece as you don't see many of those on layouts especially for passenger stock, cheers.

Rory

• 1 month later...

Well life takes over hence no posts recently but hopefully small amount of progress will happen over the next few months.  To start here is the latest plan with a small start on the cement works which to be honest has been an after thought but in reality will give a bit more sotrage for wagons but will help train movements.

Nik

post-5758-0-43529700-1516823614_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening

Here are a few more updates, all the curved boards are now built and have been a challenge for the guys as the timber did'nt want to play and flex due to the size of the board.

The next stage will be to oput them all on temp legs and see how they go together then we can work on the inclines.

New legs are being worked on to include adjusters for uneven exhibition floors.

Nik

post-5758-0-34071900-1518978476_thumb.jpg

post-5758-0-03187800-1518978490_thumb.jpg

post-5758-0-24508000-1518978502_thumb.jpg

post-5758-0-86472800-1518978513_thumb.jpg

• Like 1