Peak Forest Layout and Stock/Locos

Deltic Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 22:01, Deltic Man said:

Thought I would get some of the buildings out to see how they would look.

Nik

IMG_5782.JPG

IMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG

Just found this looks great,any new updates...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More work on the boards that have never been up before.  This end is where variance to the real area is the most as the running lines move off to the right to were the cement works are would normally go off to the left.

You can also see the entrance the cement works and the small headshunt where they shunter or spare loco would sit.

The next area once wiring is compete is the laying of the fiddle yard and the cement works which I may do out of Peco bullhead rail

Also you can see the layout on its new legs which will help when exhibiting as they are easy to put up and fold away and have adjustable tops for balancing uneven floors at venues

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

Edited by Deltic Man
  • Like 10

On 23/10/2017 at 20:33, Deltic Man said:

So here is the detail:-

Layout Name - Peak Forest

Scale/Gauge - OO gauge

Size estimated 31 feet long but to be finalised

Exhibition layout

Type :  end-to end

Era/region/location - late 80's to ealry 2000's

Trackwork - handbuilt on scenic, peco in fiddleyard - handbuilt by Norman Saunders

Buildings - all scratch built by GravyTrain

Base boards - Whiterose modelworks

Rolling Stock - locos modified rtr, wagons are rtr, kitbuilt and scrtchbuilt hopeully in typical rakes as ran in real life (I hope) many detailed and sprayed by Jon at Peakdale works (he also is a regular to Peak Forest so will be used on  consultancy basis also - not sure he realises this as yet)

Late to this - something that would keep me going for decades - no - i'd give up :D  good luck on an area well familiar to most on here - not much margin for error.

Ian

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Good Afternoon

As often the case when modelling a specific area or time or both the subject of the correct stock comes up and herewith is a problem.  Whist there are some more modern wagons available read to run seen at Peak forest there is a gap and limited options.  

The question is so what are you going to do about it?  

Well I am no scratch builder as the ladies and gents are very talented and im not, but I have started to have a go.

The first wagon to be done is one of the versions of a jga.  It has been laser cut top and is mounted on a Bachmann jga chassis , although not quite the right length I think it is going to look alright, but let me know what you think but be gentle I am very amateur at this element

More to follow as they get painted etc....

Couplings need work as they are too long and they are skit bogies.  I recently bought some hunt couplings which I think will work well on these.

image1 (6).jpg

image3 (2).jpg

image4 (3).jpg

image8.jpg

image7.jpg

Edited by Deltic Man
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• Deltic Man changed the title to Peak Forest Layout and Stock/Locos
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Like the wagons, and IIRC Bachmann do those bogies as spares (they are a version of the y25 from france IIRC).

Hi 

Yes unfortunately  they are the wrong sort the best ready to run fit ones are similar to the Hornby KFA ones

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nik,

The early  RMC JGA's are looking very promising. Once in orange and weathered they'll look great.

I've not had the confidence to have a go at scratch building wagons so you have my full admiration. I am instead saving up to try  and persuade Jon G  to build two PBA's for the Warrington Trip and a couple of KPA Tiphook blue hoppers to add to the end of a Buxton Lime rake.  Perhaps we should join forces.

I very nearly posted to you in February, but thought I might be jumping in too soon. It may seem a bit pedantic but the line of the 'railside' siding as it goes into Dove Holes quarry jumps out as being very odd to anyone familiar with Peak Forest - the curve is reversed from the real line directly opposite the old station building. I appreciate it may be necessitated by the curve after the Batham Road bridge, and all models have to make compromises.  However I wondered whether you had any leeway as  the rest of the layout is looking better and better.

I'm greatly enjoying following it's progress, and can't wait to see some more of those wagons.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fordbank said:

Hi Nik,

The early  RMC JGA's are looking very promising. Once in orange and weathered they'll look great.

I've not had the confidence to have a go at scratch building wagons so you have my full admiration. I am instead saving up to try  and persuade Jon G  to build two PBA's for the Warrington Trip and a couple of KPA Tiphook blue hoppers to add to the end of a Buxton Lime rake.  Perhaps we should join forces.

I very nearly posted to you in February, but thought I might be jumping in too soon. It may seem a bit pedantic but the line of the 'railside' siding as it goes into Dove Holes quarry jumps out as being very odd to anyone familiar with Peak Forest - the curve is reversed from the real line directly opposite the old station building. I appreciate it may be necessitated by the curve after the Batham Road bridge, and all models have to make compromises.  However I wondered whether you had any leeway as  the rest of the layout is looking better and better.

I'm greatly enjoying following it's progress, and can't wait to see some more of those wagons.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy

I have some blue tiphooks done will post some pics soon.  You right about the line just space is the issue I had to compromise somewhere and originally I thought of stopping the scenics at the bridge but then decided to go further but unfortunately the line had to go right.  The layout is 40ft already so struggling to do much else shame really but such a big area to model in OO 

Nik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...