'Main line' company locos sold into industrial or light railway service

Captain Kernow

In addition, was colliery and industrial production running down after the war effort, and so there was less need for locos at all? I don't know but it seems possible.

Jonathan

Production peaked in the 1920s. From 1939-59 it was pretty similar. The decline then starts halted only in the 1970s with a secure market to the CEGB. The rate of decline is then constant to the final years.

• RMweb Premium

British oak orange jinty

Nice picture. I remember the staithe operating in the mid 70s (diesel shunter operated by then).

The barges (operated by Hargreaves) would have been taking coal to Thornhill power station.  I think the traffic continued until the closure of the power station.

Adrian

Nice picture. I remember the staithe operating in the mid 70s (diesel shunter operated by then).

The barges (operated by Hargreaves) would have been taking coal to Thornhill power station.  I think the traffic continued until the closure of the power station.

Adrian

Closed 1993. Last BR train to Eggborough

• 8 months later...
On 03/04/2018 at 17:00, dibber25 said:

Wasn't there an LNWR 0-6-0 to the Bishops Castle Railway? (CJL)

The BCR did at one time have an 0-6-0 loco "Plowden" from the LNWR that they bought in the mid 1860s - it was originally from the St Helens Railway.  It went in the 1870s or 80s when replacement 2-4-0s from the Somerset and Dorset were bought.

It also had an ex-GWR 517 class 0-4-2T bought in the early 1900s.   

• 2 years later...
18 minutes ago, DanInHisDen said:

Sold to the Newhaven Harbour Company on the 27th  June 1898.

Indeed, but that is a strange one, given that the LBSCR created the NHCo. I’m not sure exactly what the ownership structure was, but I think that the LBSCR owned a controlling interest, and the NHCo certainly became part of the SR (not in 1923 though, IIRC), bringing Fenchurch ‘back on the books’, but with a new number, 636, instead of its proper one, 672.

Anyway, looking forward to its 150th birthday party, having good memories of its 100th, which I reckon is roughly when that photo was taken.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

On 29/10/2017 at 09:49, Captain Kernow said:

Oh yes, I know of this book. Many is the time I have had to resist the urge to part with my cash in that well-known book emporium.

Go on- Buy it.  Fantastic book. 

Lists all the allocations of the Panniers.  L89 was a Welsh loco.  Others came from Laira and Old Oak.

Loads of pictures of my Dad in Red Panniers. He'd have had a thing or two to say about anyone referring to the Met as an 'industrial' railway.  Pullmans (Galatea and Mayflower) from Baker Street to Verney Junction back in the day you know.

They used to run on the Met fast lines to Croxley tip, just south of Rickmansworth - and trust me, the old man told me he didn't hang about with those LT bogie wagons !  He said they were capable of a fair turn of speed and much more sure footed than Met E and F class.  

Best regards

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Indeed, but that is a strange one, given that the LBSCR created the NHCo. I’m not sure exactly what the ownership structure was, but I think that the LBSCR owned a controlling interest, and the NHCo certainly became part of the SR (not in 1923 though, IIRC), bringing Fenchurch ‘back on the books’, but with a new number, 636, instead of its proper one, 672.

Anyway, looking forward to its 150th birthday party, having good memories of its 100th, which I reckon is roughly when that photo was taken.

I did not know about it being atleast partially owned by the LB&SCR. I thought it would be indepentant like a private colliery network.

In the unlikely event that you want to look into the detail, the NHCo files are held in the National Archives, and their summary says:

DE24589A-8FCA-43C3-9EA6-16FDE1E14068.jpeg.e3df7a24d050b32b8e718298e5c63991.jpeg

The key passage of the 1878 Act is this one:

6F373B4A-FCD5-4B7F-90D6-D29FC0D1E232.jpeg.5aa3025431457f6f18cf506b0d84dce1.jpeg

It looks to me as if the Act basically allowed the LBSCR a great deal of control over what had previously been a trust, in exchange for its money.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

In the unlikely event that you want to look into the detail, the NHCo files are held in the National Archives, and their summary says:

DE24589A-8FCA-43C3-9EA6-16FDE1E14068.jpeg.e3df7a24d050b32b8e718298e5c63991.jpeg

The key passage of the 1878 Act is this one:

6F373B4A-FCD5-4B7F-90D6-D29FC0D1E232.jpeg.5aa3025431457f6f18cf506b0d84dce1.jpeg

It looks to me as if the Act basically allowed the LBSCR a great deal of control over what had previously been a trust, in exchange for its money.

Ferry Services of the LB&SCR by S Jordan, published by Oakwood Press in 1998 may help (The Brighton actually operated a surprising number of services at different times).

In 1845, the Brighton and Continental Steam Packet Company was set up as a subsidiary of the London and Brighton. In 1848, the company was forced to cease operation by legal action instituted by the SER on the basis that the LB&SCR did not have legal power under its Act of Incorporation to operate a steamship service.  I imagine that this might have made the LBSCR rather careful about the way in which the Newhaven Harbour Company was set up in 1878. The LBSCR had previously bought all property belonging to the Newhaven Harbour Commission with Parliamentary permission, but set up the Newhaven Harbour Company to manage the port. The book simply comments that the Brighton retained "full authority to manage it in perpetuity". 

In the meantime, here is another of the company's locomotives. 

68857129_waveshrunk07.JPG.788f69c36a5234ec554a72574ae0f57d.JPG

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2021 at 09:56, DanInHisDen said:

Some of the North Staffordshire New L Class were used in colliery service.

The caption to that SmugMug gallery photo states:

"WALKDEN COLLIERY - 2 - Hookham NSR Class New L 3F 0-6-2T - built 1923 by Stoke Works - 1923 to LMS No.2271 - 10/37 withdrawn - sold to Manchester Collieries, named PRINCESS - 1960 repainted in NSR livery - 1965 withdrawn - last NSR locomotive of any kind to remain in service, subsequently preserved as part of the National Railway Museum collection - seen here in pristine condition at Walkden Colliery."

Not quite sure how you would describe that: "preserved in service"? Five New Class L 0-6-2Ts were sold to Manchester Collieries in 1936/7, by which time they would have been in plain LMS black: NSR 69 / LMS 2257 built 1913; NSR 72 / LMS 2262 built 1920; NSR 22 / LMS 2264 built 1921; and NSR 1, 2 / LMS 2270/1, built 1923 and entering service after the NSR was amalgamated into the LMS Group on 1 July 1923 - so did they enter service in full NSR livery? Or has No. 2 only worn that livery since 1960?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The caption to that SmugMug gallery photo states:

"WALKDEN COLLIERY - 2 - Hookham NSR Class New L 3F 0-6-2T - built 1923 by Stoke Works - 1923 to LMS No.2271 - 10/37 withdrawn - sold to Manchester Collieries, named PRINCESS - 1960 repainted in NSR livery - 1965 withdrawn - last NSR locomotive of any kind to remain in service, subsequently preserved as part of the National Railway Museum collection - seen here in pristine condition at Walkden Colliery."

Not quite sure how you would describe that: "preserved in service"? Five New Class L 0-6-2Ts were sold to Manchester Collieries in 1936/7, by which time they would have been in plain LMS black: NSR 69 / LMS 2257 built 1913; NSR 72 / LMS 2262 built 1920; NSR 22 / LMS 2264 built 1921; and NSR 1, 2 / LMS 2270/1, built 1923 and entering service after the NSR was amalgamated into the LMS Group on 1 July 1923 - so did they enter service in full NSR livery? Or has No. 2 only worn that livery since 1960?

Anthony Dawson informed me that No.2* was painted in NSR livery when new despite being built under LMS ownership.

*The current No.2 being an amalgamation of parts of different locos.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Anthony Dawson informed me that No.2* was painted in NSR livery when new despite being built under LMS ownership.

That's not that surprising since it took a while for the new liveries to be decided on and adopted, even with Stoke being late to the show. Crewe was turning out the Beames 0-6-4Ts in full LNWR livery but with LMS replacing LNWR on the tank sides, in the block style of the LNWR lettering. (Which makes me wonder if that was the inspiration for the 1940s block-style LMS lettering.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1