3. LSWR 282 Class No. 283 - S&MLR No. 6 'Thisbe'
  4. LB&SCR A1 No. 83 'Earlswood' - S&MLR No. 9 'Daphne'

East Kent Light Railway

1. LSWR 282 Class No. 394 - EKLR No. 3
  2. LSWR 415 Class No. 488 - EKLR No. 5
  3. SECR O Class No. 383 - EKLR No. 100
  4. LSWR No. 127 - EKLR No. 7
  • Like 1

With one possible exception, they weren’t ‘industrial railways’, but public passenger carrying railways, so they probably oughtn’t to count.

The EHLR is a bit of a conundrum, though, I admit, in that it sort of degenerated to no more than a mineral railway, and a pretty iffy one at that!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

With one possible exception, they weren’t ‘industrial railways’, but public passenger carrying railways, so they probably oughtn’t to count.

The EHLR is a bit of a conundrum, though, I admit, in that it sort of degenerated to no more than a mineral railway, and a pretty iffy one at that!

It was an assumption that they would be counted as 'industrial', but I did think that the EHLR would almost certainly count. The topic is about Industrial & Light Railway service though.

Edited by DanInHisDen

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The caption to that SmugMug gallery photo states:

"WALKDEN COLLIERY - 2 - Hookham NSR Class New L 3F 0-6-2T - built 1923 by Stoke Works - 1923 to LMS No.2271 - 10/37 withdrawn - sold to Manchester Collieries, named PRINCESS - 1960 repainted in NSR livery - 1965 withdrawn - last NSR locomotive of any kind to remain in service, subsequently preserved as part of the National Railway Museum collection - seen here in pristine condition at Walkden Colliery."

Not quite sure how you would describe that: "preserved in service"? Five New Class L 0-6-2Ts were sold to Manchester Collieries in 1936/7, by which time they would have been in plain LMS black: NSR 69 / LMS 2257 built 1913; NSR 72 / LMS 2262 built 1920; NSR 22 / LMS 2264 built 1921; and NSR 1, 2 / LMS 2270/1, built 1923 and entering service after the NSR was amalgamated into the LMS Group on 1 July 1923 - so did they enter service in full NSR livery? Or has No. 2 only worn that livery since 1960?

There was two saved. One was broken up for spares in 1969.

The other one was definitely still intact in 1969 at least. It's in the RCTS stock book for that year as being preserved. I seem to recall seeing a news item in one of the magazines from the time trying to save it from being dismantled. I think it might have been the KWVR.

No. 2 original chassis received a new boiler at Walkden, plus the bunker and tanks from NSR no. 69 (named "King Gearge VI" at Walkden) in 1965, before this locomotive itself was scrapped in 1969 despite attempts to preserve it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSR_New_L_Class

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

There was two saved. One was broken up for spares in 1969.

The other one was definitely still intact in 1969 at least. It's in the RCTS stock book for that year as being preserved. I seem to recall seeing a news item in one of the magazines from the time trying to save it from being dismantled. I think it might have been the KWVR.

No. 2 original chassis received a new boiler at Walkden, plus the bunker and tanks from NSR no. 69 (named "King Gearge VI" at Walkden) in 1965, before this locomotive itself was scrapped in 1969 despite attempts to preserve it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSR_New_L_Class

Jason

I did know that No. 2 'Princess' is definitly preserved (and it had parts of other New L Class locos added to her during a rebuild), But I didnt know that No. 69 'King George VI' had attempts made for preservation.

Edited by DanInHisDen

Princess was fitted with a new boiler, cylinders, valves, tanks and bunker in Nov.1946. In 1960 Princess was selected to appear at Stoke on Trent so, after a further overhaul at Walkden, it was sent to Crewe for repainting into NSR livery (despite it being built by the LMS in 1923!). It returned to work at Walkden in May 1960. At its next overhaul in 1964 the loco received the frames, cylinders and wheels from Sir Robert but retained the identity of No2/Princess. It was taken out of service in August 1965 and went into preservation, initially at Shugborough.

I don't believe that King George was ever earmarked for preservation as it was dismantled by Aug. 1965 donating its tanks bunker and fittings to Sir Robert (the remains being scrapped by May 1966.)

Sir Robert was re-assembled by Oct.1965 (with parts from Princess and KGVI) and remained in service until late '67/early '68. This loco was the subject of a preservation attempt .. by Lakeside IIRC but its poor condition caused it to be finally scrapped at Walkden yard in Sept.1969.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

(despite it being built by the LMS in 1923!)

I don't know anything about the exact dates but would presume that construction of Nos. 28, 1, 2, 10 and 48 was authorised by the North Stafford board and construction begun at Stoke before 1 July 1923. It was stated above that they were turned out in North Stafford livery.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I don't know anything about the exact dates but would presume that construction of Nos. 28, 1, 2, 10 and 48 was authorised by the North Stafford board and construction begun at Stoke before 1 July 1923. It was stated above that they were turned out in North Stafford livery.

You are quite right, I should have said completed under the LMS in 1923. Of the other 3 purchased by Manchester Collieries King George VI (NSR 69) was built in 1913, Sir Robert (NSR 72) was built in 1920 and Kenneth (NSR 22) was built in 1921.  I suspect that Stoke was quite a small works and the locos were some time 'in-build'.

These were not the only ex 'mainline' locos owned by Manchester Collieries as William was an attractive ex Barry Railway 0-6-2T No.46 purchased in July 1939 and scrapped by the NCB at Walkden in June 1952.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/11/2021 at 20:02, Marshall5 said:

Sir Robert was re-assembled by Oct.1965 (with parts from Princess and KGVI) and remained in service until late '67/early '68. This loco was the subject of a preservation attempt .. by Lakeside IIRC but its poor condition caused it to be finally scrapped at Walkden yard in Sept.1969.

My understanding from talking with one of the volunteers in the loco shed at Haverthwaite station many years ago, and backed up by a much more recent magazine article about the early days of the Lakeside line, is that "Sir Robert" was purchased intact for preservation but before they could collect a scrap merchant cut it up, in mistake for an Austerity 0-6-0ST. Hence only various fittings made their way to the LHR as spares for other locos. A great loss of a pregroup loco to preservation that would have been an ideal workhorse for that line.

Here are locomotives by class (That I know of - I will add more when I find out about others).

Caledonian Railway 782 Class:

CR No. ? - Wemyss Private Railway No. 21

Furness Railway Class A5:

FR No. 20 - Barrow Haematite Steel Company No. 7

FR No. 25 - Barrow Haematite Steel Company No. 17

G&SWR 5 Class:

LMS No. 16378 - Hatfield Colliery (Credit @Blandford1969)

LMS No. 16379 - Llay Main Colliery - Only preserved G&SWR Locomotive (Credit @Blandford1969)

G&SWR 45 Class:

LMS No. 16410 - Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons No. 80 (Credit @Blandford1969)

LMS No. 16403 - Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons No. 81 (Credit @Blandford1969)

LMS No. 16404 - Ashington Coal Company No. 1 (Credit @Blandford1969)

LMS No. 16908 - Ashington Coal Company No. 2 (Credit @Blandford1969)

GNR Class 18:

GNR No. 58A - JF Wake, Darlington

GNR Class G2 0-4-4BT:

GNR No. 250A - JF Wake, Darlington

GWR 1600 Class:

GWR No. 1600 - NCB Risca (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR No. 1607 - NCB (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR 5700 Class:

GWR No. 3650 - P.D. Fuels / Stephenson Clarke Ltd

GWR No. 9642 - Hayes Scrapyard

GWR No. 7752 - London Transport No. L94

GWR No. 7715 - London Transport No. L99

GWR No. 5786 - London Transport No. L92

GWR No. 5775 - London Transport No. L89

GWR No. 5764 - London Transport No. L95

GWR No. 7714 - NCB Penallta (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR No. 7754 - NCB Mountain Ash (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR No. 9600 - NCB Merthyr Vale (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR No. 9692 - NCB Mardy (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR No. 9424 - Open Cast Site (Credit @Marshall5)

GWR No. 9480 - Scrap Merchants lifting RS&B line (Credit @Marshall5)

LB&SCR E1 0-6-0T:

LB&SCR No. 107 "Alderny" - Hartley Main Colliery No. 30

LB&SCR No. 110 "Burgundy" - Cannock Wood Colliery No. 9

LB&SCR L2 Class:

LB&SCR No. 13 - Longmoor Military Railway WD No. 72400 "Earl Roberts"

LB&SCR No. 19 - Longmoor Military Railway WD No. 72401

LB&SCR A1 Class:

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 43 "Gypsyhill" - WC&PLR No. 2 "Portishead"

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 53 "Ashtead" - WC&PLR No. 4

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 70 "Poplar" - K&ESR No. 3 "Rolvenden"

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 71 "Wapping" - K&ESR No. 5 "Bodiam"

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 72 'Fenchurch' - Newhaven Harbour Company - I do not know her number.

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 73 "Deptford" - EHLR No. 1

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 74 "Shadwell" - EHLR No. 2

LB&SCR A1 Class No. 83 "Earlswood" - S&MLR No. 9 "Daphne"

LB&SCR D1 0-4-2T:

LB&SCR No. 357 "Riddlestown" - Whittingham Asylum Railway No. 1 "James Fryers" (Credit @Tom Burnham)

LMS Jinty:

LMS No. 7445 - British Oak (NCB), I do not know her number.

LNWR Class 71 2-4-2T:

LNWR No.2496 / D&SER No. 61 "Earl of Wicklow" - Cramlington Coal Co No. 14

LNER Y7:

BR No. 68089 - Sold to contractor rebuilding Morecambe sea wall 1952 scrapped on site afterwards. (Credit @Marshall5)

LSWR Class B4:

LSWR No. 96 "Normandy" - Southampton coal depot "Corrall Queen" - I do not know her number.

LSWR No. 99 - DR Zeiler, Swansea then to Stewart & Lloyds, Bilston, I do not know her number.

LSWR No. 100 - DR Zeiler, Swansea then to Stewart & Lloyds, Bilston (Names "Sussex"), I do not know her number.

LSWR No. 176 "Guernsey" - DR Zeiler, Swansea then to Stewart & Lloyds, Bilston, I do not know her number.

LSWR 282 Class:

LSWR No. 283 - S&MLR No. 6 "Thisbe"

LSWR No. 324 - S&MLR No. 3 "Hesperus"

LSWR No. 349 - K&ESR No.7 "Rother"

LSWR No. 394 - EKLR No. 3

M&GNR 4-4-0T:

M&GNR No. 10 - Longmoor Military Railway "Kingsley", I do not know her number. Longest surviving M&GNR Locomotive.

NER Fletcher Class 964:

NER No. 969 - Seaham Harbour "Mars" - I do not know her number.

NER No.973 - Milford Dock Co. "Neptune"

NER Class 124

NER No. 598 - Milford Dock Co. "Ajax"

Newcastle & Darlington Junction Railway 2-4-0:

N&DJR No.30 -  Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Colliery No. 27

NSR New L Class

NSR No. 158 - Longmoor Military Railway No. 70207(?) "Marlborough"

NSR No. 69 - Manchester Collieries "King George IV" - I do not know her number.

NSR No. 72 - Manchester Collieries "Sir Robert" - I do not know her number.

NSR No. 22 - Manchester Collieries "Kenneth" - I do not know her number.

NSR No. 1 - Manchester Collieries "Queen Elizabeth" - I do not know her number.

NSR No. 2 - Manchester Collieries "Princess" - I do not know her number.

TVR O1 Class:

TVR No. 28 - Longmoor Military Railway WD No. 70205 (Also Numbered WD No. 205) "Gordon", NCB Hetton Colliery No. 67 "Gordon".

TVR O2 Class:

TVR No. 85 - NCB Philadelphia Colliery No. 52

TVR M1 Class:

TVR No. 168 - Longmoor Military Railway WD No. 70208 "Kitchener"

York & North Midland Railway 2-4-0:

Y&NMR No. 82 / NER No. 313 - Cramlington Coal Co. No.8 / Hartley Main Collieries No.12

Other / No Class:

C&WJR No. 10 / LMS No. 11568 "Skiddaw Lodge" - Hartley Main Collieries No. 21

PTR&DC No. 26 / GWR No. 813 - Backworth Colliery No. 12

LNWR No. 1104 - WTC No. 5 "Shannon"

Edited by DanInHisDen
  • Like 1

Here's a few more for Dan's list.

1600  NCB Risca 7/59 to /63

1607  NCB 9/65 to 1/69

3663  NCB scr before 1970

7714     "   Penallta

7754     "   Mtn. Ash

9600     "  Merthyr Vale

9692     "  Mardy

9424   Open Cast site /63 to12/70

9480   Used by scrap merchants lifting RS&B line.

68089 (Y7) sold to contractor rebuilding Morecambe sea wall 1952 scrapped on site afterwards.

Ray.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

Here's a few more for Dan's list.

1600  NCB Risca 7/59 to /63

1607  NCB 9/65 to 1/69

3663  NCB scr before 1970

7714     "   Penallta

7754     "   Mtn. Ash

9600     "  Merthyr Vale

9692     "  Mardy

9424   Open Cast site /63 to12/70

9480   Used by scrap merchants lifting RS&B line.

68089 (Y7) sold to contractor rebuilding Morecambe sea wall 1952 scrapped on site afterwards.

Ray.

Thank You! I will add them later.

Edited by DanInHisDen

9 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Instead of re-inventing the wheel try this reference and old thread.

That particular topic began in June this year.

However, this topic began on October 26 2017 and Andy Kirkham posted a link to the book by Frank Jones on the same day, in post 8 on page one.

I've found it to be a very useful reference.

• RMweb Premium

You can also add the GSWR 0-6-0T 5 class.

• 16378 was sold to sold to Hatfield Colliery, South Yorkshire in 04/1934 after withdrawal and scrapped after 1954,
  • 16379  sold to Llay Main Colliery, Denbighshire after withdrawal in 04/1934 now preserved

and also

The G&SWR 45 Class 0-6-2 tanks, 4 were sold out of service into industrial use

16410 after withdrawal in Nov 1936 was sold to Robert McAlpine & Sons as no.80

16403 after withdrawal in Nov 1936 was sold to Robert McAlpine & Sons as no..81

16404 after withdrawal in Feb 1937 sold to Ashington Coal Company no.1

16908 after withdrawal in Jun 1937 sold to Ashington Coal Company no.2

Sadly none of these survived to preservation, and were a nice class, sadly no kits exist of this one as Mercian Models withdrew their kit. 

Edited by Blandford1969

16 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

You can also add the GSWR 0-6-0T 5 class.

• 16378 was sold to sold to Hatfield Colliery, South Yorkshire in 04/1934 after withdrawal and scrapped after 1954,
  • 16379  sold to Llay Main Colliery, Denbighshire after withdrawal in 04/1934 now preserved

and also

The G&SWR 45 Class 0-6-2 tanks, 4 were sold out of service into industrial use

16410 after withdrawal in Nov 1936 was sold to Robert McAlpine & Sons as no.80

16403 after withdrawal in Nov 1936 was sold to Robert McAlpine & Sons as no..81

16404 after withdrawal in Feb 1937 sold to Ashington Coal Company no.1

16908 after withdrawal in Jun 1937 sold to Ashington Coal Company no.2

Sadly none of these survived to preservation, and were a nice class, sadly no kits exist of this one. 

I shall add these later then. Thank You!

Edited by DanInHisDen

On 26/10/2017 at 10:03, Captain Kernow said:

With 'proper' industrial types now becoming available RTR, I'm interested to know what types of former 'main line' steam locos (ie. those built for and used by any of the pre-Grouping or 'Big 4' companies, or indeed BR) that were sold into industrial or light railway service.

Some are well-known, such as the ex-GW panniers sold to the NCB (57XX/8750,15XX) and London Underground (57XX).

There was at lease one ex-LMS 'Jinty' sold to the (?NCB?) British Oak Disposal Point at Crigglestone in the West Riding (No. 47445).

An ex-L&Y 'Pug' 0-4-0ST was soldto the Turner Paper Mill company at Rawcliffe Bridge, near Goole.

There were also the two ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0Ts sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge (loco was named 'Pride of Sussex) and that sold to Bowaters and named 'Pioneer' (both now being produced by Hattons in the near future).

There was also an ex-LNER 0-6-0T (No. 1662) sold (via a dealer) to the steelworks at Cantley.

If the search was to be widened to diesels, then clearly there is a plethora of diesel shunters sold out of BR service, but I find the steam loco side of it particularly interesting.

There must have been many more examples, what do others know of, please?

Well, the one locomotive I think of immediately is the Class 20 that was (still might be) used for the cement works in the Hope Valley. Having had a quick skim through the thread, it doesn't appear to have been mentioned. Given I saw it in 2004 it was, obviously, privatised along with the rest (I just don't know if it was bought by or leased to the cement works for shunting).

I would also suggest having a look at the ownership records of the British Steel locomotives used on their exchange sidings and/or internal railways. Oil refineries too, like at Stanlow, probably had their own locos too. Some might have been BR to private user, but some may have been built specifically for industrial use.

Former BR locos sold in BR days are the J94s used at the collieries/mines/pits between Bolton and Manchester (Bickershaw was one colliery, but I can't remember the name of the other(s) in the area) and were operating as late as the 1970s. Like the other examples mentioned they were sold to the coal board, but the precise level at which they were sold I'm not aware of (the national coal board or regional area board and sent to Bickershaw or by the colliery on an ad-hoc basis because they had specific needs to be met).

• Informative/Useful 1

On 26/10/2017 at 10:03, Captain Kernow said:

With 'proper' industrial types now becoming available RTR, I'm interested to know what types of former 'main line' steam locos (ie. those built for and used by any of the pre-Grouping or 'Big 4' companies, or indeed BR) that were sold into industrial or light railway service.

Some are well-known, such as the ex-GW panniers sold to the NCB (57XX/8750,15XX) and London Underground (57XX).

There was at lease one ex-LMS 'Jinty' sold to the (?NCB?) British Oak Disposal Point at Crigglestone in the West Riding (No. 47445).

An ex-L&Y 'Pug' 0-4-0ST was soldto the Turner Paper Mill company at Rawcliffe Bridge, near Goole.

There were also the two ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0Ts sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge (loco was named 'Pride of Sussex) and that sold to Bowaters and named 'Pioneer' (both now being produced by Hattons in the near future).

There was also an ex-LNER 0-6-0T (No. 1662) sold (via a dealer) to the steelworks at Cantley.

If the search was to be widened to diesels, then clearly there is a plethora of diesel shunters sold out of BR service, but I find the steam loco side of it particularly interesting.

There must have been many more examples, what do others know of, please?

Well, the one locomotive I think of immediately is the Class 20 that was (still might be) used for the cement works in the Hope Valley. Having had a quick skim through the thread, it doesn't appear to have been mentioned. Given I saw it in 2004 it was, probably, privatised along with the rest. I just don't know when/if it was bought by or leased to the cement works for shunting.

Former BR locos sold in BR days are the J94s used at the collieries/mines/pits between Bolton and Manchester (Bickershaw was one colliery, but I can't remember the name of the other(s) in the area) and were operating as late as the 1970s. Like the other examples mentioned they were sold to the coal board, but the precise level at which they were sold I'm not aware of (the national coal board or regional area board and sent to Bickershaw or by the colliery on an ad-hoc basis because they had specific needs to be met).

There are other potential examples (owned/used by British Steel especially), but I can't say with any certainty what their ownership history is.

Apologies - my laptop doesn't let me post anything with SPG mistakes, so when I pressed 'reply' and it didn't post I didn't realise I was posting (hence the two different posts which is due to thinking and then overthinking). Anyway, it's not meant to be a double and just wanted to point that out.