discussions about track

Junctionmad

It's not just discussions about track. There are some monumental spats and thrown dummies throughout the forum, resulting in warnings, deletions and sometimes ultimately a lock.

I've seen the bullhead track lengths "in the flesh" and liked what I saw. On that basis, I'll purchase one of the points. There's no substitute for actually studying something in your possession. Magazine reviews, manufacturer's adverts etc are only useful up to a point (no pun intended).

There probably isn't a great deal to say about the points until they are on general release and available, which would seem to be soon. Imho, I don't think endless discussion about how they're "wrong" helps anyone, especially as the general consensus is that they're miles better than what went before. Also, I simply do not see the relevance of Templot diagrams, EM/P4 talk etc etc, when these are the trackwork equivalent of a new RTR OO loco from Bachman/Hornby/Heljan etc. The dimensions are what they are. I know this is a forum and "discussion" is the name of the game, but a lot of the negativity in the other threads came from the folk who are least likely to use them. Personally, I don't feel the need to comment on a brass 7mm loco kit or steamers in general, because they're not remotely in my sphere of interest. Each to their own, indeed.

Looking forward to their availability and I have a feeling Peco have judged the market just about right.

Edited for annoying typo.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 6

The thing that those who end up getting so enraged that threads end up getting locked ought to realise is that the rest of forum is laughing at the ludicrous-ness of it all.

A bit like those annoying TV programmes that have now spawned mirror 'discussion' shows (backstage at Strictly Z-Factor Got No Talent), other threads delight in discussing how ridiculous it all is ('It's all kicking off on the Pecoboo thread again', etc). Heads are shaken in disbelief, everyone reminds themselves that this is really just supposed to be a hobby, folks predict how long it will be before the thread gets locked, and so on.

Me? I'm enjoying using the Peco Streamline track range as it is. The new stuff is a bonus. Life's too short.

post-16151-0-45764800-1509116512_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure Scott Adams has no interest in PECO track, but the most recent Dilbert comic strips seem strangely relevant.

www.dilbert.com

Edited by Nile

There is a danger that each spawned thread about Peco track following the blocking of the previous thread about Peco track is in danger of becoming itself a magnet for gripes, this thread already has begun bemoaning the moaners.

Unfortunately it is symptomatic of a cultural change and that we all love to assert our opinions - social networking was meant to connect people, it's ended up giving us all virtual fences to moan to our virtual neighbour about that virtual chap two doors down and his absurd ideas.

Je suis Cissie (and Ada)

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

No specific date that I'm aware of Nick. As mentioned in previous threads they are in production, and have been for a few weeks, the source for that info a senior manager at Peco around 15-20th Sept. The images in the Railway Modeller review are of Production items, source Steve Flint, editor RM.

As they are new products I suspect Peco have X orders and are making Y, that being a small excess of the existing trade orders. This being a new item my guess is that they'll want to see the reception of them, they could fly off the shelves, or gather dust, no one knows yet. As I recall from when I was in the retail trade, Peco will despatch the orders en masse so all eligible retailers receive them within a day or so of each other.

No specific date that I'm aware of Nick. As mentioned in previous threads they are in production, and have been for a few weeks, the source for that info a senior manager at Peco around 15-20th Sept. The images in the Railway Modeller review are of Production items, source Steve Flint, editor RM.

As they are new products I suspect Peco have X orders and are making Y, that being a small excess of the existing trade orders. This being a new item my guess is that they'll want to see the reception of them, they could fly off the shelves, or gather dust, no one knows yet. As I recall from when I was in the retail trade, Peco will despatch the orders en masse so all eligible retailers receive them within a day or so of each other.

I would also they will want to both make enough so all retailers can have stock from the same time, plus I guess as its a new manufacturing process they will be closely monitoring the quality control

They could though be copying the Apple sales module, build up the demand by making folk wait to create a greater desire to own them, look at all the free publicity they are enjoying   

They could though be copying the Apple sales module, build up the demand by making folk wait to create a greater desire to own them, look at all the free publicity they are enjoying

I would say on past record, given some Peco lead times on product, Apple copied the master on this one...

I'm sure Scott Adams has no interest in PECO track, but the most recent Dilbert comic strips seem strangely relevant.

www.dilbert.com

I am also reminded of this classic XKCD strip (well, it's just one picture in fact).

Some people need to remember that if someone disagrees with a subjective opinion, that doesn't make the other person wrong, just different.

Trying to argue that black is actually white, however, deserves all the ridicule and opprobrium that it attracts.  (Which reminds me of the irony that one of the people pointing out the flaws in other posters' arguments about whether or not the Hornby Duchess was the 'right' shade of crimson lake/maroon, was also on the original bullhead points thread being rather dismissive about other people's entirely subjective choices about how they go about building their model railways.)

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Gold

whether or not the Hornby Duchess was the 'right' shade of crimson lake/maroon

The great thing about a Hornby Duchess is that it will soon shift off into the fiddle yard, where its colour is irrelevant. Whereas the track remains under your nose all the time. So which is the more important to get right?

Martin.

• Like 2

I must confess, I was fed up with the comments on the other two threads.

Is there any news as to when the points might be in the shops?

Kind regards,

Nick.

They are in Oz already!

Looked at and handled a pair of points at the BRMA ( British Railway Modellers of Australia) National Convention in Melbourne last weekend. They were up for raffle prizes, but sadly I didnt win them. However I can definitely say they looked really good.

Regards G.

• Like 3

The thing that those who end up getting so enraged that threads end up getting locked ought to realise is that the rest of forum is laughing at the ludicrous-ness of it all.

A bit like those annoying TV programmes that have now spawned mirror 'discussion' shows (backstage at Strictly Z-Factor Got No Talent), other threads delight in discussing how ridiculous it all is ('It's all kicking off on the Pecoboo thread again', etc). Heads are shaken in disbelief, everyone reminds themselves that this is really just supposed to be a hobby, folks predict how long it will be before the thread gets locked, and so on.

Me? I'm enjoying using the Peco Streamline track range as it is. The new stuff is a bonus. Life's too short.

attachicon.gifWP_20171022_10_55_00_Pro.jpg

Love your signals. They look awesome!

Regards G.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks!

More can be found on the layout thread on this forum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58826-grantham-the-streamliner-years/page-15

Regards G.

Which of course neatly illustrates the diverging views about the importance of track. On a large layout like Grantham with so much to look at, the details of the track are less prominent.

It is on the quiet BLT that track detail really comes into its own.

I kind of got lost for a while browsing the excellent photos in the link quoted. Joseph's comment (above) rings true. I didn't even notice the trackwork (aside from the fact that it existed)... there was so much to feast one's eyes on. I guess I'll always look for the bigger picture, rather than focus on any one aspect of modelling. Whether that's a curse or a blessing is debatable.

• Like 2

Regards G.

Which of course neatly illustrates the diverging views about the importance of track. On a large layout like Grantham with so much to look at, the details of the track are less prominent.

It is on the quiet BLT that track detail really comes into its own.

Absolutely. No quibble with that at all.

If there's one thing that get's commented on with Grantham in terms of the track, apart from 'that's never Code 100!!?'<-- yes, really!, it is the use of the standard Peco range, with some adaptation, to create prototypical track formations. Not only do these 'look' right (from 3 feet away), they enable us to replicate prototypical train movements. The sight of a southbound train, having terminated in the main 'up' platform and then moved forward into the up relief line, to then propel its entire train right across the trailing ladder at the south end of the station (which includes 4 slips) over to the 'down' side is a favourite one. Nowadays, you can arrive straight into the down relief platform at Grantham direct off the up main - but you couldn't do so in 1938!

For me, that is as an important aspect of model railway track as its detailed appearance. But, hey - each to their own and all that.

• Like 7

The great thing about a Hornby Duchess is that it will soon shift off into the fiddle yard, where its colour is irrelevant. Whereas the track remains under your nose all the time. So which is the more important to get right?

Martin.

The Hornby Duchess of course, its the star of the show. When we all went train spotting we collected the engine numbers, nobody looked at the track

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby Duchess of course, its the star of the show. When we all went train spotting we collected the engine numbers, nobody looked at the track

I did.

I liked to watch steam trains, but I never felt anything was achieved by writing the number down.

Martin.

• Like 2

But that was at a time when RTR stock was nowhere near the level it's at now.  These days the latest offerings from Hornby and Bachmann are equal to most kit built locos.  I accept the wheels and valve gear may not be as fine, but for me the focus has shifted from loco's and stock to track and scenic work.  

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I get as much, if not more pleasure these days seeing trackwork that flows from one gentle curve to another than I did seeing hand built LNER locos and rolling stock over the last 50 years.

• Like 3

I did.

I liked to watch steam trains, but I never felt anything was achieved by writing the number down.

Martin.

Agreed, we all liked to look at the engines, the boring bit was looking at empty track when they had moved on

Edited by steve45

• RMweb Premium

I beg to differ.  The Hornby Duchess will look good anyways, and one R3555 looks very much like another.  But the track, signalling and scenics set the stage on which your 'star' performs - and that is where modelling skill largely manifests itself these days.  

Yes with careful track laying and ballasting, Streamline can look very good and perform very well.  But the new bullhead track is so much better visually, and is a much better match to the higher standard of RTR models like the new Duchess. 

• Like 1

But that was at a time when RTR stock was nowhere near the level it's at now.  These days the latest offerings from Hornby and Bachmann are equal to most kit built locos.  I accept the wheels and valve gear may not be as fine, but for me the focus has shifted from loco's and stock to track and scenic work.  

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I get as much, if not more pleasure these days seeing trackwork that flows from one gentle curve to another than I did seeing hand built LNER locos and rolling stock over the last 50 years.

That would make two of us. I started with train-set track. I still recall the immense pleasure in seeing stock running through a large radius point for the first time.

I can contribute to this thread now that it's not just about "bullhead". What I am wondering is how compatible the Peco O Gauge flat bottom track is with the Lenz Spur Null track (manufactured by Peco). Does anyone know?

Bill