Dock Street Sidings - has a new owner

• RMweb Gold

I love your weathering. Do you use airbrushing or is it all from hand brushing?

I use all the different methods - I benefited enormously from help from both Tim Shackleton and Mick Bonwick at the Missenden Weekend courses - the blue diesels are predominately airbrushing ( I'm still a fan of enamels) and MIG powders. The golden rule is use a photo and work from it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely photo's Gilbert, what shows have you got planned for the layout? Be good to see it some time. Your stock looks fantastic, I love the weathering, I'm working on mine but keep putting too much on! 

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Inspirational Chris! The colours, weathering and overall picture are just fantastic. Everything blends so well and just looks 'right'.

Shows what can be done in such a small space. Thanks for drawing my attention to the layout as it a slipped below my radar!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments - its worth reiterating that using wagon cards does definitely seem to make operating a better exhibition experience and retains our interest!

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just discovered this thread and a great little layout!

What construction method and materials did you use for the road-over bridge?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark - thanks for the comment - the bridge is a mixture of Lcut creative brickwork but with a girder made up from US HO Micro engineering sides - if I did it again I'd seal the Lcut parts with some acrylic varnish prior to construction as although great kits they are layered card and can get easily damaged with clumsy handling which you can see on the bridge and the brick warehouse if you look carefully!

post-1107-0-00330500-1532364209_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The layout is at Ross on 18/19 August - we'll run 10' wb stock on Saturday as a 3/3/5 puzzle and experiment with it as a 2/2/3 inglenook with some 1980s stock on Sunday.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Love this little layout!

Could you explain how the card system works please?

Sorry - missed this post - I have a card for each 10' WB wagon - 8 are in use - I draw 5 out in an order and they have to be shunted into the front track - if I use the newer Railfreight stock the numbers become 5 and 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enjoyed seeing the layout this morning runs very well indeed most impressed well done chaps!

Thank you very much - we had a good day at a very good "small" show. Nice to see Eileen's Emporium there - they got a few of my pounds...

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

Thank you very much - we had a good day at a very good "small" show. Nice to see Eileen's Emporium there - they got a few of my pounds...

Less is more lol...that said having attended a few shows here I feel that Thornbury are out growing the venue. The quality of layouts was fantastic but a bit more space to view would be welcome. Hope you didn't break the bank at Eileen's, l nearly did on one trader but by the time I had made my mind up and went back it had been sold

• RMweb Gold

Less is more lol...that said having attended a few shows here I feel that Thornbury are out growing the venue. The quality of layouts was fantastic but a bit more space to view would be welcome. Hope you didn't break the bank at Eileen's, l nearly did on one trader but by the time I had made my mind up and went back it had been sold

I think its fair to say they packed a lot in to the space available!

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to say it was nice to see Dock street at Thornbury, good to meet and chat with you as well!

Oh, and thanks for letting me have a play, I like the card system and might introduce a similar thing for my shunting plank.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne - we all enjoyed our weekend. Next outing is Weston SM in January. Blue diesels and older stock.

Hi Chris,

That's interesting to hear, depending on work I may pop along for a look at the older stock running.

Cheers

Wayne