Dock Street Sidings - has a new owner

Re Dock Street Sidings - a simple concept, but very nicely modelled, well done! (it reminds in fact of one of my own micro-layouts, Short Street Sidings, which you may/may not have seen previously on the BRM forum). The new project also looks interesting, look forward to seeing it develop further .... :D

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2019 at 13:35, 27016 said:

Both layouts looking great.

On your new layout 'Penmaenbach' what materials did you use for building the road-over bridges?

Regards

Mark

P.S. There is also a message for you.

Hi Mark - I've just seen the post so apologies for the delay! Bridges are Slaters Plastikard on Evergreen sheet core with Evergreen used for the trim. Girders are from strip using the Slaters rivet sheet. Short plate girders on two small bridges at left on Micro-Engineering (US HO)

15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I really ought to start a thread for the new layout...

Yes, I think the new layout deserves a thread all of its' own.
Also, when I first saw the pics of the new version - it confused me, as I already had the original layout in my mind....
Of course, I'm increasingly easily confused these days.... as many others would confirm, I'm sure ;)

Looking great @Gilbert. This one will be up to your usual standard, I'm sure
And I think the running line in the foreground will add much operational interest and variety to the layout
"That's crackin' that is" - As Nessa would say :) 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, devious diesel said:

Hi 

Could you tell me what paint colours you used for the ground area and the ballast.

I am very impressed with your layout.

David

Thanks David

• Track is spray canned with Phoenix weathered sleepers paint ( I think its a dull grey) rails are picked out with their "Rusty rails" paint
  • Ballast is a mix of fine buff and gray Woodland scenics plus some Greenscenes grey
  • Cess is laid before ballasting and is ash recovered from a log burner.
  • Whole thing is lightly dusted with airbrush with Phoenix weathered sleepers paint to tone everything down
  • Basic ground cover is Humbrol spray can grey (#64 I think) with ash scattered on a pressed in before removing.

I also tend towards more olive/burnt grass tones for the veg - it seems to go better with the light coloured track and ballast

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, devious diesel said:

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to seeing how the new layout develops.

David

Here you go - building etc just loosely in place and much work to do on scenery...

PMB RWB.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thank you Gilbert, it does look excellent!  I love the bridges, the right hand scene looks superb. how did you paint the stonework?

A mixture/palette of Humbrol enamels with different stones picked out with slight variations then a dark wash wiped off when slightly dry.  I used an article by Karl Crowther in MRJ as a start.

PMB Stone.jpg

PMB Stone 2.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 13

More great photos @Gilbert
Actually, it's a good idea, and a standard practice of mine, to not fix all buildings into place until I've "tweaked" things a bit.
I've usually got a good idea of composition of structures on a layout - but sometimes just moving one or two structures around,
a little bit of repositioning, and sometimes crucially..... leaving one or two structures out! Can help improve the composition and look or atmosphere in a layout.

I mention "leaving out" structures here, because as I've often said - less is more (or can be)
I liked the portacabin, it's well made & painted - but I think that end of the layout looks more spacious without the portacabin.
Of course, you can always re-introduce it at some point.... possibly even with some other scenic items that "sit well" with it?
Or possibly in a slightly different location?

Keep tweaking the building positions - and do it maybe whilst shunting some stock around
Sometimes the presence of a loco or wagon just add to a hut being in one position or another. Anyhow - you are at a stage where such "playing" is great fun,
and your layout seems to grow each time you make a decision.

Another note here - with something like a Portacabin, you don't really even need to glue if permanently in any one place....
Perhaps keep it in your stock box, and add / remove / reposition it at will.... on a whim, depending on mood etc :)

Looking fab Gilbert. If only I had time to do some modelling.... this would be among several layouts on here which I'd be looking at, to inspire me 

• Like 3