SWAG Summer 2018 evening meal

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

It's early days yet, but I am considering arranging a winter evening meal, probably on a Friday evening, following the convivial summer curry that a group of us had in Newton Abbot a few months ago.

To this end, it has been suggested that we could go to a decent Chinese restaurant, which certainly gets my vote.

The point of this thread is to assess interest and to float the idea of meeting at a location that doesn't have rail access (the place I have in mind is in Kenton, on the main road between Exminster and Dawlish).

What do folk think?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
the place I have in mind is in Kenton, on the main road between Exminster and Dawlish

Literally 5 minutes walk from home, so I'd certainly be interested!

Although there's no station, the number 2 bus (Exeter city to Dawlish, Teignmouth & Newton Abbot) does stop on the main road nearby, although it would only be hourly after 18:30  and takes 1/2 hour to get to Teignmouth

Count me in too, Cap'n! The Chi looks excellent and easy to get to for me.

Did you have any dates in mind? Do we get their shared Xmas menu (all-you-can-eat main course!!)? Noodles with a sprig of holly on top, no doubt!

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Premium

Expression of interest here though it would require return to London aboard the last up daytime service.  The option of waiting for the "Beds" to come through doesn't seem terribly attractive this time of year.

• RMweb Gold

Expression of interest here though it would require return to London aboard the last up daytime service.  The option of waiting for the "Beds" to come through doesn't seem terribly attractive this time of year.

What dates are you over here, Rick?

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, item of information now retrieved from store.

Good if you can come down to Devon for this, then, Rick!

Having looked at the timetable valid until early December the last up train is rather too early at 20.46 off St. Davids.  The "Beds" is away at 01.06 so while that is a tad late I could always drop in a double-run to Plymouth and pick her up there at around midnight.  Friday night should be fine as I have no early morning work shift to worry about the next day.

• Like 1

Any idea on dates yet? My brother's getting married on 1st December so I won't be around that day!

Oh Rich, you're not 'available' on 1st December? A sense of correct priorities PLEASE! This is THE fabled SWAG Winter Evening Meal & Piss-up we are committing ourselves to here. All shalt otherwise be swept before it!!!  :friends: :dancer: :derisive:

Still, whatever the date, would be nice if you could make it.

Incidentally Tim, which date ARE you proposing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, much time has passed and the Winter meal was going to be the early Spring meal, but it has now become the Summer Evening Meal!

What is different from the previous posts is that this time, I have actually booked a venue.

We will meet at 'Chi', an excellent Chinese restaurant in the village of Kenton, between Exeter and Dawlish. Their website is here - https://www.chi-restaurant.co.uk/

As things stand, I have booked a table for 1830 hrs and I will need to confirm numbers with them a couple of days before, but I have provisionally booked it for 12 people (based on the turn out at the Indian meal in Newton Abbot last year).

Please could you PM me or reply on this thread, if you would like to come and I look forward to seeing you there!

Many thanks.

PS. I would say that it appears that 'Chi' also does accommodation, so if you wish to stay over, I'll leave it for individuals to make their own arrangements, directly with the restaurant.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dear members of the Nobel realm from a member somewhere outside but with connections to the best part eat of the Tamar...

.. As I shall be working in Exeter on the 29th and then setting up the South Western Circle stand at the Exe MRS show late afternoon, and staying Exeter for the weekend for said show might I be allowed permission to join you for the meal (I do still support the not so might Gulls for my sins!) 

• Like 2