SWAG Summer 2018 evening meal

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

29th June. That would sit very nicely with other plans thereabouts. Saturday 30th is already pencilled in for a VegEx excursion. But I shall have to confirm and seek permission from the Queen’s Remembrancer and Keeper of the Privy Purse. Who is currently on a road trip in the general area of Dorset.

I’ll hopefully confirm within 48 hours.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And the date for this is ...... ?

Doh!

Doh!

Unusually the good Captain's memory is failing him....!

Friday 29th June

Thanks, John.

I'm going to say here and now that the horseradish sauce is responsible. Don't blame anyone else, that wouldn't be right.

• RMweb Premium

Doh!

Doh!

Thanks, John.

I'm going to say here and now that the horseradish sauce is responsible. Don't blame anyone else, that wouldn't be right.

Should we not mention the parsnips? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Just the other side of Exeter, Rob. Come off the M5 at junction 30 and follow the A379 towards Dawlish and Kenton is just a few miles outside of Exeter.

Mmmmmm......I will have to see what I am down to work and what I can duly wriggle out of.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Well, that would be just fab if you can make it!

I shall have a look CK. It's roughly a two hour run from here. Dooable subject to work.

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm officially in.  

Excellent, that's good to hear!

I've only just noticed these updates; if there's still space I'd love to come along as it's in my home village! :)

You're also officially in, no problem, Rich.

• RMweb Premium

I'll be staying at the Galleon in Starcross.  

Plan A is that I shall head down on Friday by morning train, walk a section of the coastal path before checking in, refreshing and joining the dinner party and then walking another leg of the coastal path before heading home on Saturday.

I was hoping to "do" the VegEx but the times just don't work.  I could head down and board it at Plymouth but that only gives me a Plymouth - Exeter return trip.  Better than nothing but I'll find another way another day starting from St. Erth.

See you soon, one and all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

I have just confirmed the booking (for a party of 11) with the restaurant and they are expecting us at 1830 hrs tomorrow evening.

For those who haven't checked it on Google Streetview, here is a view of Chi:

post-57-0-88148600-1530207371.jpg

The car park is right round the back and you drive through a (rather narrow) gap between/under the buildings to get to it.

I made a quick reccy on the way home from Exeter today, to check out the location of the restaurant with relation to the Rock festival that Rich mentioned.

The normal main entrance to Powderham Castle is actually in the village of Kenton and whilst various turnings today were marked for service vehicles and deliveries etc., I didn't see a sign saying which entrance is that for the Rock festival.

That main entrance is actually just beyond Chi, going towards Dawlish on the A379.

This may not be an issue tomorrow evening, but in terms of avoiding any possible build up of traffic going into the grounds of Powderham Castle, my gut feeling is to approach the village on the A379 from the Dawlish direction, if you can (?probably less traffic from that direction going to the Festival?).

If coming from the Exeter direction, that would mean driving down the A380 dual carriageway and taking one of the turnings off that road that lead down to the Exe estuary and the A379.

Anyway, it's entirely up to you, unless, of course, like Rick, you're walking to the venue!

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll only be walking up from Starcross!!!  Not even that if there happens to be a convenient bus though I know they are not famed for their frequency.

Among other thoughts for those driving is that the village of Cockwood (where the harbour is only full of water once a year and when you don't have your camera ..... ) is closed to through traffoc with a diversion around it.  Apparently some of the nice stone harbour wall is being replaced along with the road.  So it's not only the sea wall which needed work done, then.

So far this week I have managed to walk from Torcross to Dartmouth and after making use of a ferry from Kingswear to Torquay.  Not too bad considering these have been days out from London and the weather hasn't been ideal for hiking steep paths with a backpack - even a very modest one.  

I did, incidentally, get tangled up in what I assume to have been a most unpleasant incident on the sea wall this morning mid-way between the Warren and Dawlish.  The down HST was diverted to run on the up line from Warren to Teignmouth and overtook a stationary 143+153 formation which was being attended to by persons in orange clothing and members of the local constabulary.  That was after we were sent via the Newbury Racecourse loop to overtake an empty stone train meaning I got several bits of rare track in one trip.

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe there will be any issue with traffic tomorrow evening, the crowds won't be arriving until Saturday morning (it's only a one day event, no overnight), so traveling from the Exeter direction shouldn't be a problem.

My comments were about the Exeter model show Saturday as there may be slow tailbacks around Matford then.

Anyway I'll be there for 6.30 tomorrow, probably leaving home 6.25! ;)

• Like 1