Scotland 1980s/90s Terminus + Depot

50002Superb

Evening All,

Long time lurker, thought i’d take the plunge and share the beginnings of what I hope becomes a reality.

I’m modelling in OO Gauge, and growing up in the 80s spent many a weekend all over the country chasing locos with my Dad, with the North of the Border being a particular favourite and inspiration for my first serious attempt at modelling.

I have already amassed a number of running stock and my youngest is keen too so it was time to put my track down. I’m hoping to attach some photos of the initial work as soon as I work out how to upload pictures (particularly as I have some questions for those more skilled and knowledgeable than I).

My time is always extreme in terms of commitment to modelling, and then not, so I will likely have days / weeks / months of posting diarrhoea, followed by equal amounts of time with no progress at all.

Please be kind and constructive.

50002Superb

So this is board one of three, the terminus station. I am tempted to add a hidden storage sidings to the top part of the board running parallel with the station.

This will join board two which (if it appears in landscape) will join at the bottom left hand corner.

Apologies, photo quality is poor due to present storage situation.

post-14155-0-53761100-1509300777_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Robert.

I’m desperate to run some trains but going DCC for the first time and want to get it right which means I’m literally making no progress as don’t know where to start!

I think I might dress the boards with some locos to see if that inspires me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Forgive me father, for I have sinned, it’s been three years since my last confession. 

As anticipated the thought of going down the DCC route was too intimidating and I walked away. My confidence in taking on the project waned and was then simply forgotten. 

However I have continued to visit here and little by little my optimism returned and I’ve made “some” progress, even running trains 

80EB8CEE-F464-4F48-A5B5-B71E4CC5E42D.jpeg

AD2A50E1-0B60-48C2-AD75-96C45866EB85.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's certainly big! Good that you've go some of your enthusiasm back, and quite a nice fleet you have yourself there! I find I struggle for enthusiasm sometimes because I don't know what to do, or have a plan but can't see the next step, so with a blank canvas that big it must be a daunting project! 

Just looking at your last pic though, you might need to tweak the track at the bottom otherwise it looks like anything on the empty track will hit the 27 parked at the front. (An earlier pic shows you have (from right to left) point - short curve - short curve - short straight - short curve, swapping the two underlined should sort it. You might well have already realised but better to say now before you fix it down than an "I saw that coming" later!

• Informative/Useful 1

It is sort of... if you search Greenhill you should find it but i am very bad at updating it and am not sure there are photos of it since i moved house.  My excuse (sort of) is that i have not reached any sort of presentable stage since we moved into the new place 2.5 yrs back - inevitably the new layout room was a different shape to old and has required rebuilding all the fiddle yards and several "scenic" sections to fit the new space.  I am close to getting the last section lifted into position shortly (need to wire the subterranean fiddle yard first - 75% done but have one throat to do for which diodes arrived yesterday :-).  After this i need to do a BIG tidy up and maybe then i will be ready to share some photos.  It consists of (a representation of) Greenhill Upper and Lower on one side of the room with (a representation of) GQS, Cowlairs and ED on the other.  All supported by a 44' subterranean fiddle yard beneath GQS/ED section.  Original build started in 2009 when we had our old house extended and i believe i can say with confidence that it will never be finished...

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can’t quite get myself to take the leap with my next modelling bits - getting the station layout as I want it feels a bit intimidating. However I can’t resist adding more stock. This time a DMU centre to be repainted into either B/G or Strathclyde Black n Orange and renumbered to be added to one of my two car sets...

EDB23799-097B-4BE3-946A-3669CC8A1062.jpeg

Is that the start of Eastfield depot main building in background?  I made a start on mine too - will I get it finished....?

your DMUs centre car looks to me like a 117 - these ran in Scotland in that livery albeit mostly in Fife circle from Waverley.  I don’t think the 117 ever ran in b/g or orange in Scotland. I would keep as is and argue it’s in for maintenance or could it have been used as centre car in a 107 or 101?? Some strange mixes appeared but not sure I ever saw that one, M

I started to make a cardboard prototype, just to give me a better feel for size, etc.  It’s not quite right but made the baseboard feel less “flat”!!

I hear what you’re saying about the 117 centre car but the livery is a little after my time period.

I’m sure I’ve got a photo in my collection of a 101/117/101 working out of GQS in my collection somewhere.