Magnetic uncoupling match wagon for EFE tubestock

4railsman

I'm hoping to make or source a 00-gauge London Transport "match (barrier) wagon" with one end coupling at standard height and the other at tubestock height, so I can run a non-motorised EFE tubestock pulled by a class 20 or LT pannier.

Has anyone built a match wagon and successfully found a way to have a magnetic (kadee or similar) automatic coupling fixed to the A or D end of the 4-car un-motorised EFE tubestock models?

Currently using Kadee NEM362 number 18/19/20 couplers for some locos, but these are unlikely to be suitable for the tubestock, so any pointers/suggestions from members would be most helpful.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Not the same as the EFE stock but in the days when Jubilee stock was delivered it was loco / brake van / 13T mineral / tube stock / 13T mineral / brake van.  If you have a goods wagon like this with different couplings either end, it would be prototypical and you wouldn't need to fiddle with your locos.  Far better to bodge and damage a goods wagon if you need trial and error to get it right!

31267811584_b9eb97aa7d_z.jpg25 300, Chalfont & Latimer, 02-03-85 by afc45014, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Historically tube stock match wagons where formed from old trucks as shown in the photo. I have seen three plank ex Met railway wagons used for surface and tube stock MW. I would place a metal plate onto the EFE buffing gear and use a drop down coupler from the wagon or use a lower tube gauge buffer with magnet. That's how the real thing coupled.

The other option is to create a hook from the MW that can couple to the bogie mounting at the front of the EFE car although there is not much clearance!

Have you considered using the MicroTrains couplers? Essentially they are Kadee type knuckle couplers for N gauge. Would need some trial and error to work out what to do, but they are pretty small and, I'd guess, need some accurate setting up.

John

• 2 months later...

This won't help in terms of magnetic uncoupling, but I've just posted a blog entry on my attempt to produce a relatively operationally versatile tube stock REA barrier vehicle based on a Bachmann VDA.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/411/entry-20448-tube-stock-barriertranslator-vehicle-rea-vda/

Given the scarce nature of EFE tube stock (we don't know if/when Bachmann will re-release). I don't want to be hacking around with the bogies. I am therefore using a simple bar to connect with the original EFE hook on the bogie, and an arrangement to fit to a 'Roco style' coupler on the REA van. The bar to 'Roco' is semi-automatic (although the bar falls off the EFE bogie quite easily). A sense that anything more complicated will involve hacking around with the tube stock, which is not on my agenda.

But hope this helps/inspires. A fun few hours work, and I'm looking forward to completing the second and playing with a full rake of '59 stock!

• Like 1