Weaver Hill 4 Track Mainline Shrewsbury MRE 1st June 2024

Benjamin Brady

Thanks for the comments PC re the Mainline Class 90, As soon as we have the opportunity to get the layout up again, even though it is slightly out of period I'll make sure I get a happy snap of it running. Even the garage layout has been Americanised at the moment so there is not a great deal of opportunity to run much.

• 3 months later...
On 28/02/2021 at 22:22, Benjamin Brady said:

The final update for this evening. Another project for Weaver Hill is a GC Class 90 complete with stock. The MK4 have had the base coat of black along with the correct windows blanked off and are awaiting their organge strip. In the meantime the Class 90 is all finished. It is gutting we shall never see this service come to fruition however maybe we shall see something come of the proposed Stirling service. 

IMG-20200620-WA0003.jpg

Hi there, what's the proposed Stirling service ?

On 16/06/2021 at 23:26, DBC90024 said:

Hi there, what's the proposed Stirling service ?

Good Evening,

Ill be keeping me ear to the ground on work of the Stirling service and with any luck it shall be 90 hauled. However in the meantime I'm tempted to do an ex gc 90 now for a liner service. 

It looks like getting Weaver Hill out again might be in the distant future though which is a shame. 

45 minutes ago, Benjamin Brady said:

Good Evening,

Ill be keeping me ear to the ground on work of the Stirling service and with any luck it shall be 90 hauled. However in the meantime I'm tempted to do an ex gc 90 now for a liner service. 

It looks like getting Weaver Hill out again might be in the distant future though which is a shame. 

tempted to do an ex-GC 90 ? do you mean in Bachmann form ?

Kat :-)

• 7 months later...

Good Evening all 

It has been a while since I have updated and I though I had done one post show but it appears I have not. Anyway we had an excellent weekend playing trains at the Alsager's Bank model railway show and the model performed well, however we did have one failure of a Pendolino. 

There has been an update to the right hand side of the model, we have removed one of the bridges and added a roundabout, something slightly different to the bypass scenic break. The prototype for this is just outside Newcastle on the ECML towards Durham. 

Attached are a few videos from the weekend with a guest appearance of 6S94 (Clay slurry tanks) and the RHTT. 

• Like 4

• Benjamin Brady changed the title to Weaver Hill (Portsmouth Railex 7th/8th May)

Good Afternoon,

We are getting ready for our next exhibition at Portsmouth. 

There are a few changes to the layout but not a great deal. Unfortunately it's been in storage since the last show so shall be good to get it out again.

We shall be running the layout in a 2004 guise for a change. Virgin mk3s with brand new Pendolinos passing. 

Benjamin

• Like 2

It is on the final stretch now, there is a little figure painting going on to add a few more to the layout along with the signal box which shall be added.

The signalbox is still lingering on with only a few months left until the transfer of the line into Stoke SCC. (at least in our world). 

We are looking forward to the weekend. 

show_orig.jpg

Edited by Benjamin Brady
  • Like 3

Good Evening, 

We have returned from Portsmouth and are all unpacked. We have an excellent weekend at the show. The layout did it's usual trick in the morning and would not allow us to run stock without the odd derailment on just about every train we ran. However once it had bedded itself it performed very well as always.  It also received favourable comments from the public which is always nice to hear. 

The highlight of the weekend has to be Bachmann allowing us to run their forthcoming class 90s on the layout. The EWS one looking very much at home on the sleeper. I have to say Bachmann have done an excellent job as always. Thanks very much to the Bachmann team :)

We hopefully have a few more shows from the weekend so there is plenty more opportunity to play trains. 

It was great to meet Andy there and you'll be please to know we have got back safe, we had a great weekend and even managed to do a little sight seeing on Saturday evening and Sunday morning sf315 :) back to blighty now though. 

IMG_20220507_143158.jpg

IMG_20220507_143204.jpg

IMG_20220507_143920.jpg

IMG_20220507_144140.jpg

IMG_20220507_144205.jpg

IMG_20220507_144234.jpg

IMG_20220507_144443.jpg

IMG_20220507_144455.jpg

IMG_20220507_144500.jpg

IMG_20220507_144517.jpg

IMG_20220507_144522.jpg

IMG_20220507_144530.jpg

processed-2eb3394a-45bf-498f-b3ff-954c7b8dae44_CP1Hn364.jpeg

processed-6c1de135-4f6f-417f-96a9-ef8261bf90c0_0CJhsnK6.jpeg

• Like 8

• Benjamin Brady changed the title to Weaver Hill 4 Track Mainline Railex Buxton 2/3 July
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Benjamin

Is that a scratchbuilt/kit built WIA car carrier running behind the EWS 60 in the penultimate photo above?

Its a very nice layout btw, not often you see OHLE main lines. Looking forward to seeing it again at Redditch.

Hi D9502,

I am glad you like the layout, hopefully it has a few years still left in it. 

We are looking forward to Redditch ourselves, a show is the only the opportunity to run the layour. 

The WIA was build by Richard who was the organiser of the Portsmouth show and asked if he could run them over the weekend. I have to say they looked good and something that would be nice to see commercially available in OO

6 hours ago, Benjamin Brady said:

Hi D9502,

I am glad you like the layout, hopefully it has a few years still left in it. 

We are looking forward to Redditch ourselves, a show is the only the opportunity to run the layour. 

The WIA was build by Richard who was the organiser of the Portsmouth show and asked if he could run them over the weekend. I have to say they looked good and something that would be nice to see commercially available in OO

Hi Benjamin

Did Richard @Portsmouth give you any details on how the WIA car carrier was built? Did you get the chance to take any other photos of it?

I've looked into scratchbuilding the WIA but the tiny bogies and small diameter wheelsets required have put me off. There is a good drawing in the John Fox wagon book.

I saw WH at the Stafford show a few years ago, i was blown away, not with the cotton wool smoke trails from the Red Arrows but the pendo's, voyagers and intermodals racing past. Top stuff.

The only other contemporary OHLE main line I've seen thats similar is Pete Waterman's making tracks layout at GETS although I'm sure there's others.

Cheers

Rich.

17 hours ago, D9502 said:

Hi Benjamin

Did Richard @Portsmouth give you any details on how the WIA car carrier was built? Did you get the chance to take any other photos of it?

I've looked into scratchbuilding the WIA but the tiny bogies and small diameter wheelsets required have put me off. There is a good drawing in the John Fox wagon book.

I saw WH at the Stafford show a few years ago, i was blown away, not with the cotton wool smoke trails from the Red Arrows but the pendo's, voyagers and intermodals racing past. Top stuff.

The only other contemporary OHLE main line I've seen thats similar is Pete Waterman's making tracks layout at GETS although I'm sure there's others.

Cheers

Rich.

Richard 3D printed the wagons, I can have a look and see if I had any other photos of them. I am not sure I took many the 90s taking most of my attentions. I'll give Richard a call and if you want I can pass on your contact details if you drop them in a message to me. 

I am glad you enjoyed the layout at Stafford, the pendos have suffered in the years they have been racing around, the picks up just recently being changed on one of the units. 

When constructing the layout the whole aim was to build something that is never seen at an exhibition and I think we have mastered that, well Pete must of liked it as he copied it and scaled it up, even we had mock Shugborough. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Benjamin Brady changed the title to Weaver Hill 4 Track Mainline Redditch MRE 17/18th September
  • 4 weeks later...

Good Morning, 

There has been some movement on stock for Weaver Hill. The main project has been a collaboration and should be running on Making Tracks 2 at Chester very shortly. It is slightly delayed due to life getting in the way but I feel it is now at a stage which is acceptable for an update on here. The ends and doors have been filled using 3d printed part from Phil Moreton, who is excellent with CAD and has made modelling so much easier. 

The only other project which is waiting in the wings is to sort all the board joints out to improve running. Like anything there is always something we can be chipping away at. Stock is high on the list at the moment. We want to try and ensure most of the stock running at Redditch at least has a driver in it. 

processed-b4ebf439-3039-489e-aabc-4b214f8a6447_8xJR3CjE.jpeg

processed-f1ae6c65-7fee-4d7e-8f7a-944ee91cd52d_NWmM2dq4.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There has been a fair bit of work going on over the past few weeks on Weaver Hill. I shall try and take a photo of some of the alterations today. 

The signal box that was only in place for a few shows has been removed and a crossing keepers cottage placed in its location instead. The idea being before the line was Quadrupled by the LNWR a level crossing was used vice the over bridge added at the turn of the 20th Century. 

Also still on stock some late night renumber last night was also taking place 

received_1133592373915268.jpeg

• Like 1